DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

New Low Cost BBS service reset tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

BBS SPY wrote:
Hiya All

Normally i might not have raised awareness of that factor however, considering how so many here seem so deeply concerned about any possible fraud or mis representation possibilities of anyone selling on a car declaring it to have a full Land Rover approved service history / warranty when it actually does not, you can hopefully appreciate how i was compelled and inspired to do so. Thumbs Up

Good man Thumbs Up

Out with the camera for the home service post Whistle
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #4625424th May 2009 7:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Well the gauntlet is now thrown down. And i am sure that many will appreciate our efforts to help support this great site in as many ways as possible.

I promised piccies and so here they are.
Actually the development is all done and finished now, just gotta get the bits in on masse and build em. Signed off on the promotional literature and user guide today. Thumbs Up
In the meantime i tried the first one (as production prototype) out on my own Disco 3.

Holy moley, the thing is instant. Considering i dictated a start delay of 60 seconds to ensure that the unit is fully plugged in, one second after that and the job is a good un. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
No fuss, grief or trouble, set the dial, plug it in, wait two seconds for a green light, unplug it, have a beer.
I designed the thing, yet even i am incredibly impressed with the result. Had i have not insisted on the extra second delay i am sure many would have missed it.
Must give my employee who did the coding a bit of a bonus Big Cry
Then again i did teach him all he knows Embarassed

The super bright LED starts off blue when its plugged in and doing its stuff, then goes green as soon as its done, 2 seconds max.

We did a vid of it doing its stuff and will edit that with before and after data taken using with our full system to show exactly what it has done. Coming soon.

However in the meantime, here is a picture of the unit itself. Note the groove on the yellow rotary control (there is a slot on top to aid in rotating if required, but the other side does not have a groove down it) Also the high intensity water clear LED on the other side (which is the side facing you when it is plugged in).
Its obviously not much to look at, being contained within an OBDII plug, but then that's just the beauty and simplicity of it.

Click image to enlarge

As explained there are 16 different settings, We cant change the distance to next service value as that is contained in the CCF, but we give plenty enough with the others typically with 3, 6 or 12 months options between services with differing arly warning opions, and we give even an option (F) to disable the Service Interval Announcer/ Indicator completely (SIA/SII) Shocked

Click image to enlarge

I am quite sure that the unit, which will work on any CAN based Land Rover will be a huge success for everybody, and having seen it in action i am sure everuyone who gets one will be as equally stunned as i am over its operation.

Post #4634766th May 2009 5:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RPG

United Kingdom 

BBS SPY wrote:
I designed the thing, yet even i am incredibly impressed with the result.

Laughing Laughing I need a pat-on-the-back smiley! Laughing Laughing
Well done, chap!

Post #4634926th May 2009 6:36 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think its just what the DIY servicer needs in his tool kit very simple and easy to use and for a very good price....

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #4636276th May 2009 10:26 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

"Very good price" - I havnt seen a price yet!!!! - shoot me down if I have missed it
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #4636296th May 2009 10:35 pm
DiscoStu

England 
Re: New Low Cost BBS service reset tool

BBS SPY wrote:
cost less than 50 GBP.

Wink

Although can be about £50 cheaper if your car is 07+ Whistle
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #4636386th May 2009 11:00 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: New Low Cost BBS service reset tool

08+ Wink Thumbs Up

Doesnt work on 07MY
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #4637167th May 2009 7:43 am
BLACK BETTY

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'd be interested in this gizmo,
don't see any negative issues with it as long as its locked to an individual D3
can it be manufacturer reset for a small fee, if one trades in one's landy for a newer model Question

Oh and
does it come with a G4 sticker Whistle
 Nine-tenths of wisdom is being wise in time.

Also appears 9/10 of stopping is stopping in time

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DiscoReaper&view=videos 

Post #4638047th May 2009 11:19 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Looking good Colin Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #4638067th May 2009 11:47 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Chaps

It would have to come back to get it reset for another VIN, so thats not really economically viable, especially considering it's value to the new car owner if for nothing other than a deal sweetener.

The massive point is that now by owning your own reset tool for your vehicle, even for those not wanting to do their own servicing, they are no longer limited to having to get it done only at places who have the several thousands of pounds worth of equipment to hand.

More choice always equals better value, and i would be amazed if having that choice does not result in a saving far greater that the purchase cost of this item on it's first use alone.

Post #4638697th May 2009 3:28 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
08+ Wink Thumbs Up

Doesnt work on 07MY

Oops - mines an 07 plate, 08MY, works on mine
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #4638887th May 2009 3:54 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

A couple of people are asking (PM etc) when these CAN MATE SRT (Service Reset Tool) units will actually be availiable, so i thought i would post about where / when we are at and likely time frames from here for everyone or anyone interested. I also bolded the bottom line for those who prefer to cut straight to the important bit Thumbs Up

We have already built a small number of units. These are currently being used for testing, as well as producing videos, promotional literature and user instructions. Will post a link to the Video as soon as it is ready Thumbs Up

The main PCB, which takes the longest to get, was ordered about a week ago and will likely be with us around 22nd of May. Most of the parts it uses are in stock and those that are not have either been ordered or will be this coming week. They should all easily be here before the PCB's.
Manufacturing them will begin immediately we have all the parts, and if all goes to plan we should have the first batch within a week. This brings us almost to the end of May when i firmly expect we will be able to actually start shipping.

The items should be listed on our Web shop from the 18th May along with some other new near identical looking items that we have produced for the Air suspension and Immobilizer synchronization problems of older vehicles. So don't buy the wrong thing Very Happy

Please can i ask any member from this forum (or indeed any of the group as this does work on all CAN models) who buys one off our web shop to post me their resultant order ref number because, as promised, i will be donating five GBP (10%) to the site for each unit purchased by a member until the end of June.

Warmest regards

Last edited by BBS SPY on 3rd Jun 2009 7:22 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4649409th May 2009 6:41 pm
90BHP

I'm sure my service reminder comes up well before 200 miles ?

I'm thinking 550 Miles reminder is the one I recall seeing (IIRC) - which is still a PITA as to get a loan car I have to book about 10 days in advance, 10 days / 500 miles - not a chance, I Go over every time Embarassed
Post #4650089th May 2009 10:39 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya 90BHP
When i first added coverage of the SII settings to our systems software, I came up with 10 related values and got to know exactly what happens to them all when the dealer IDS equipment does a reset. Copying the IDS is fairly straight forward, however we like to try to go the whole hog, and so really needed to understand what they all were. Some of them were very straight forward, such as 30 days and 40 Km for the early warning and a 365 value being inputted does not take a genius to figure out, however there was some values whose purpose was a bit vague. Shocked
I did my best to describe them, but now in hindsight i realize that i really did not have that much of a grasp of the relationship between some of the figures and how they worked. More recently however i did a lot more digging and thinking, finally the penny dropped 8)

So now i do fully understand all the values and am very sure of what they all do and mean and I can set them with 100% certainty.
However, in complete honesty i still have some confusion over the reasoning and logic that the SII hardware chooses to use and obey with these values in differing circumstances. Recently i had my D3 set so that the distance only was both long overdue. Sure enough i ws getting a minus distance value warning that seemed to decrement 25 at a time.I changed the values so only the time was overdue and got nothing showing at all. When i changed the values so time and distance were overdue, i got warnings that were based on time only.

So there is definitely some inter relational logic i have yet to fully fathom in the way that the hardware decides what to show and when.

From what you describe 90BHP it sounds like you hit the 30 day limit, but the unit then chose to show remaining miles. I wonder if you hit the 40 KM left first if the unit then shows remaining Days.

Post #46520910th May 2009 5:31 pm
90BHP

Shocked

If it helps the car was new on 1st December 2008 - so miles taken into consideration only . . . .

Usually I just look at my diary for the next few weeks and "try" and calculate how long it will take to do the next 2000 Miles Thumbs Up
Post #46524310th May 2009 7:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >