Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Serious water leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Serious water leak

My new HSE (one week old, 350 miles) decided to wet itself this morning! It had been parked overnight in the rain, and as soon as I moved the car, water started running (not dripping) through the headlining, immediately in front of the interior light console, (right by the electrics) and I ended up with half a pint of water all over the gearchange/hanbrake/radio controls, seats, etc. Obviously, I was very worried that it might cause a major short circuit, or some kind of electrical problem, but after mopping up the mess, I drove off with no apparent problems, and, even though it was raining, the leak stopped! It would seem that rainwater must have collected in a 'pocket' or through somewhere, and as soon as I moved the vehicle, it sloshed about and leaked through the headlining. I phoned my local dealer, and they have booked it in next week for investigation - I'll keep you posted. And just in case you are wondering, the sunroof was definitely fully closed! Anyone heard of a similar problem?

Post #300830th Apr 2005 12:24 pm
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My old Disco 2 had a leak which came through the interior light due to rubber seal around sunroof out of place. It also gushed when moved to get the right angle - this must be what you call waterfall lighting!
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #301130th Apr 2005 3:07 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Oh yes, ALL my previous Disco's (200Tdi and V8 D2) have suffered from leaky sunroofs or windscreens.

Then again, it is a pretty common problem on any make of car with a sunroof. I am sure they will be able to fix it.

Post #30211st May 2005 7:49 am
Walman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I know this is an old thread but thought i would add my penneth having just taken my 06 D3 back to the dealer for the same water leak problem.
They had it just 20 minutes and knew what the problem was. Apparently the pre 07 models have valves on the ends of the sunroof drain pipes and these become blocked, so the dealer mechanic just snips them off - problem solved! Thankfully all under warranty too Very Happy

Post #22476816th Nov 2007 11:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Walman wrote:
Apparently the pre 07 models have valves on the ends of the sunroof drain pipes and these become blocked, so the dealer mechanic just snips them off - problem solved! Thankfully all under warranty too Very Happy

I'm astounded they didn't change this setup sooner - as it was probably the main cause of leaks on the D2!
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #22479416th Nov 2007 1:18 pm
wavey66

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

So whats the likely cause if you don't have a sunroof !

During our wonderful summer I noticed that the roof lining around the rear vanity light ( the one thats sits right by the rear tailgate ) was damp.

I unclipped the plastic surround and found water had collected in it. I dried it out and asked the dealer to check it out when it went in for a service. They could not find the cause.

This week following the recent rain I thought I'd check again as the light at the back has stopped working ( the one at the front is fine ) Again there is water and the bulb has blown - I'm assuming as a result of the wet. The wire coming out of the roof lining was also wet.

I've looked around and in the absence of a sunroof the only place I can think it's coming from is :

- under the plastic cover where the ( Phone arial goes ) I don't have the phone kit so It's just a flat plate. I cant move ot and it looks secure
- The plastic tube that provides water to the rear wiper water jet is leaking somewhere

Any other thoughts where else it may be coming from before I send it in again ?

Post #22675522nd Nov 2007 2:07 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Are there roof rails - how are these attached - could it be coming through the fixings? Don't have them, so no idea?
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #22676222nd Nov 2007 2:14 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Walman wrote:
Apparently the pre 07 models have valves on the ends of the sunroof drain pipes and these become blocked, so the dealer mechanic just snips them off - problem solved!

I've just come back from a few days visiting family in the UK....whilst there I was talking to a friend who works for the company that makes the drain tubes/pipes for the FFRR.

Apparently, the tube gets bonded inside the body of the A (or B) pillar. They've recently been told by LR that if there is a quality reject for a badly fitted valve, then there is no way to replace it and the car is effectively a write-off (assuming that you'd have to cut away the main structural parts of the chassis to be able to replace it)....

They've only recently taken over this line of business and after discovering this issue, they're now getting rather worried about any possible charge-backs from LR for warranty claims Shocked Shocked

"What's that Mr Supplier, you've cocked up the last batch of 10,000 tubes? That'll be 700 million pounds please...."
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Last edited by PaulP on 22nd Nov 2007 2:38 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #22677322nd Nov 2007 2:30 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The roof rails may be the answer. I know the Freelander 2 is different, they bolt on afterward, but they are not (or were not) a factory fit option yet, as they have water ingress issues -they let the dealers fit them, its there fault then.

I also know there is a water ingress issue on the FL2 with the rear tailgate. the hinges sit in the rain channel, and whilst there is a gasket between the hinge and the body, water is geting under the bolt head running through the hole in the hinge the gasket and body pannel and running out around the pannel with the weld nuts in. This is of course then dripping on to headlining. This I know because my desk is cluttered up with possible solutions to both problems.

I would recommend a bit of the old bathroom sealer around the tailgate hinge bolt heads if you feel inclined

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #22677522nd Nov 2007 2:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wavey66

Thanks all Smile

No roof rails so going to get the dealer to look at it next week and lets see what they find before I start taking things apart !

Post #22684322nd Nov 2007 6:19 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Central High Mounted Stop Light has been known to leak before Confused

Post #22689322nd Nov 2007 9:09 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

rogue wrote:
Central High Mounted Stop Light has been known to leak before Confused

However that is part of the tailgate. So probably not the problem here.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22691922nd Nov 2007 10:59 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Apart from when you lift up the tailgate to the horizontal position, any water in the CHMSL then runs down the two corrugated rubber tubes into the roof headlining.
I know this because when i was installing my rear view camera, i ran the AV cable though one of these tubes and the AV cable was wet when it got to the other end. Turns out the CHMSL wasn't screwed in 100%, therefore not watertight.

Not saying this is definately the cause, but its worth a poke around to investigate.

Post #22692422nd Nov 2007 11:06 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

wavey66 wrote:
So whats the likely cause if you don't have a sunroof !

During our wonderful summer I noticed that the roof lining around the rear vanity light ( the one thats sits right by the rear tailgate ) was damp.

I unclipped the plastic surround and found water had collected in it. I dried it out and asked the dealer to check it out when it went in for a service. They could not find the cause.

Noticed a small amount of water on the rear load space cover the other day after some rain but couldn't make out where it had come from. Yesterday evening, after an afternoon of rain, another puddle appeared but this time I discovered water dripping from the rear interior light - the one immediately in front of the tailgate. The light lens was full of water too. This light sits directly below the sat nav/phone aerial so was wondering if this had somehow sprung a leak/

Called into the dealers (Stratstone of Stockton) on way to work this morning in the hope they can sort it. Even though I went in on spec, they have kept the car, promising to sort it today. From past experience with them, I am confident they will. I'll keep you posted.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #22702323rd Nov 2007 10:25 am
wavey66

Ah at least I'm not alone with my leaky interia light ! will look forward to seeing what they find the solution to be

Post #22716623rd Nov 2007 2:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >