DISCO4.COM > Photos, Videos & Media

DISCO3 @ Hogmoor Photo's and Video Links
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Shrinky wrote:
I missed the pic of you with your pic nic in the middle of all that sand Rolling with laughter What happened to the bikini Shocked

Wasn't quite warm enough!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #51379931st Aug 2009 10:56 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

DiscoStu wrote:
The auto box was doing very strange things too Confused When I first got stuck, the wheels went into overdrive as soon as D was engaged (presumably because all the wheels were off the ground) - tried to stop them using the brakes but the pedal went solid and the engine just revved higher. Had to drop it back to neutral to stop it Confused Question Happened about 3 times.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. Certain similarities to an incident in Wales a few months back...

Post #51380831st Aug 2009 11:12 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

My EPB is fecked AGAIN. Full of sand no doubt.
When the car is clean off to the dealer once more. Perhaps they'll actually replace something this time!!
Anyone else suffering after Sunday?
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #51381131st Aug 2009 11:24 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Gary,

No sorry all appears to be fine our end. Drove about 50 mile in it today and it seemed ok, although the brakes are a little soft after yesterday, but my rear pads were knackered before yesterday anyway. I'm getting them done next weekend, thought I'd wait till hogmor was over with before putting new ones on.

With us going to Southampton shopping today I took the expo roof rack off so we would fit in the multi story without a problem, then went and bought a massive table from ikea and could fit it, plus the 3 kids in the car! Embarassed

Still thank goodness for parents with their Mazda 2, coming to collect the kids!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #51381431st Aug 2009 11:31 pm
Lucky.Trucker

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Hi there, may I put you right with the facts about the recovery with regards the snapped strop. Yes a D3 is heavy, 2.7 tons ex Solihull. Plus goodness how much extra for being stuck in sand/mud. The kinetic strop, yes it was a kinetic strop was rated at 8,000kgs when new. It was new, first time used in fact so I would think there was enough excess capacity to cope. When stuff like that snaps because of overloading the ends explode into a flower head when I examined it afterwards it was almost like someone had put a Stanley knife to it. In fact the stiching had failed. With hindsight it should have been done with a winch from the outset but believe me we have used kinetic equipment many times with success and it was all done by the book. I have written to the manufactures and told them until they can explain themselves to my satisfaction then I won't allow people to use their products because they aren't safe.

I hope this has made things clear.
 The older I get the better I was .

LuckyTrucker D3 XS 2009 

Last edited by Lucky.Trucker on 2nd Sep 2009 10:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5138211st Sep 2009 12:22 am
Stu

Thanks for the low down. I must admit from looking at the video it didn't look like a kinetic strop. Hence I thought the speed of the recovery was silly. Can you let us know what make of strop it was so that we are all forewarned!

Thanks again for a great day, the marshalls did a great job.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5138221st Sep 2009 12:47 am
truffles

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 3

The make of the Kinetic Sstrop was Damar, a well known leading manufacturer.
 In my 4x4 every weekend is a dirty one!  
Post #5138271st Sep 2009 2:22 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Some questions, how much did the winches have to pull to get the D3 out in your estimation, and what safety factor does Damar use for their strops.

My guesstimation would have been: D3 fully loaded 3 ton, vehicle mired to it's body 300% of Load weight, 3 x 3 = 9ton. then add some safety, so minimum 12ton swl.

But then again this is only my opinion I wasn't there, just an example of how how I would have worked it.
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #5138341st Sep 2009 6:55 am
DiscoStu

England 

It took a D1 with a winch (double line pull?), anchored by 2 x D3's plus a Dakar type modded RR doing a double line pull to free Wilma... Shocked
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Last edited by DiscoStu on 1st Sep 2009 9:35 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5138461st Sep 2009 8:26 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Lucky.Trucker wrote:
Hi there, may I put you right with the facts about the recovery with regards the snapped strop. Yes a D3 is heavy, 2.7 tons ex Solihull. Plus goodness how much extra for being stuck in sand/mud. The kinetic strop, yes it was a kinetic strop was rated at 8,000kgs when new. It was new, first time used in fact so I would think there was enough excess capacity to cope. When stuff like that snaps because of overloading the ends explode into a flower head when I examined it afterwards it was almost like someone had put a Stanley knife to it. In fact the stiching had failed. With hindsight it should have been done with a winch from the outset but believe me we have used kinetic equipment many times with success and it was all done by the book. I have written to the manufactures and told them until they can explain themselves to my satisfaction then I won't allow people to use there products because they aren't safe.

I hope this has made things clear.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Nothing to do with what happened on this event. I do a lot of crane work and know that the weave of the webbing is designed not to stretch (especially under load). I presume that the Kinetic Strop is made from Nylon that will stretch. So a manufacturer is producing a strop that is designed not to stretch from a material that will stretch Crying or Very sad I could be very wrong though Embarassed
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #5138621st Sep 2009 9:34 am
DiscoStu

England 

It does seem like a strange rope - looks like a strop, but is kinetic? In any case, thanks for getting me out Thumbs Up

bobbycrispbox wrote:
Hmmm, sounds interesting. Certain similarities to an incident in Wales a few months back...

Just what I thought Sad Could not move the brake pedal for love nor money Confused
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #5138661st Sep 2009 9:39 am
Stu

Just been reading the following article:

http://www.4xforum.com/?showcontent&global%5B_id%5D=62

There are a couple of points that it makes that I thought were interesting in comparison to Sunday:

1 - Don't use if the vehicle is very bogged in. - If I remeber correctly all 4 wheels were off the ground?

2 - Lay a blanket over the strop so if it does go bang the energy is absorbed and it drops to the floor. I saw this happen with winching but not with the strops.

3 - The recovery vehicle moves off at normal take-off speed in first gear. Accelerate very gently and keep the speed constant. You can look at the video and judge this for yourself!

I'm no expert in recovery but I think if the above had taken place the situation might have been different, however as previously stated the marshalls did a great job.

Also been looking at Kinetic strops and the most I can see is a 20% stretch. If so then on a 10m strop the maximun is only going to be 12m and at the speed the D2 was going that would have only taken a split second to over stretch the stop.

I think we all learned from the event, which is one positive outcome.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #5138721st Sep 2009 10:09 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I was not there (well I was but the wrong end of the lane to see) but I think the speed is hard to judge on the video, it is a bit misleading. The car accelerates and stops in just over 1.5 car lengths.

Surely the webbing attached to each end will be much stronger than the kinetic material in the middle as it takes all the wear etc. It sounds like the loop came apart, which would seem quite odd as surely the stitching on a double overlap would be stronger than the single strap.

Regardless I feel sorry for the guy who's car it is, but who pays for that by the way ?. Accidents happen, it's just one of those things. Next time I go on a event, I am going to stick with DG, the way he moved his car out of the way in the nick of time is impressive Shocked

Post #5139041st Sep 2009 11:19 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

By my calculations the strop was travelling at 471mph when it hit the D2, thats if the strop was 100% efficient regarding being 20% elastic, so even at 50% efficient its still 235.5mph now attach a 1kg shackle, The question is would you sit behind a windscreen and feel safe. Shocked

At 10mph with 2500kg car and a 10m 20% stretch 8t strop, the stretch should have been 1.67m with a pull of 3.5 tonnes.
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #5139071st Sep 2009 11:22 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Can you be a bit more accurate Willy....... Laughing Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5139091st Sep 2009 11:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >