DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Fitting OE screen Navigation and Phone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
I am expecting many great things of the BBS!

Ah, it's all in a days work, and it's probably just as well, as i don't know any other equipment capable of doing what you need and it sure has come a long way from the days of just reading fault codes Whistle Whistle Whistle

You are right on the XUC unit, it is the FM diversity splitter / Amp, shared by both Sport and D3
But you know that XUI500071, i think that's a later TMC ant Amp, I know its Blue and i have never seen a blue one before, but its on the same call out as XUI500070 which is indeed Red, and both are listed as "For Radio with Traffic Decoder" Its also still used on the 2010 sport.

The glass with spare stud does not surprise me, i am seeing that they either have no or all studs fitted.

Re the Fin, sure enough the Sport lists with the GPS antennae as well as phone, that's another result for you as you won't have to cut the High Level Brake light cover off like me Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
I don't know if you saw a PN on it before you fitted it but i think its the XUI500124PNP at about 40 GBP from TLO

It also answers what they do for Sat radio given that the glass element in the sport is used for TMC, they have a version with that antennae in as well Shocked Shocked Shocked

Watch out for these single power wires going to the Amps BTW, the FM ones are only powered when the radio is on and so can't simply be shared for the TMC unit.

Have you checked below the tailgate glass to see if both isolators are there yet or are you still on coffee break Rolling with laughter

Post #56763719th Dec 2009 9:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hello Ian and Colin,

I have just dismanteled a RRS and taken all the same parts to do the same to my D3.

I decided to go ahead having been inspired by both of your posts. Bow down

Colin the roof fin that I have taken is part no. XUI 500 123 PNP - dont know if this makes any difference.

Ian I am looking forward to your next postings - I have all the parts - cant wait to start.

Thanks
Andrew

Post #56902722nd Dec 2009 5:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Andrew

Glad to hear you have been inspired. Thumbs Up
Having done all the research rqd and my own conversion, i am obviously now quite clued up in respect of the infotainment stuff and am more than happy to help anyone who requires it in whatever small way i can.

Mind you i think Ian quite out classed me with his many excellent photo's Bow down It will be great to see his final push to the finish which i am guessing many are waiting for too Thumbs Up

That Fin looks up as one without the Phone, do you only have the Blue connector coming from it ?

Post #56907422nd Dec 2009 6:23 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

XUI500123PNP seems to be the <MY07 one fitted to the RRS without the telephone.

It's not listed as suitable for the D3 but have no idea if you could make it fit or not....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #56908222nd Dec 2009 6:41 pm
ajsms999

Thanks Colin & Paul,

The fin has both the blue connector(nav) and the burgundy(phone coaxial).

The vehicle was fitted with the factory fit Nokia phone kit, and cradle in the cubby box, plus tmc etc.

I have removed all the looms relating to it.

My vehicle is already fitted with the phone bluetooth pti with voice control - but doesn't have the cubby box charging cradle.

I want to try and avoid fitting the whole dash loom, and will try to unpick just the connection/wiring for the screen, and add this to my existing loom in situ.

Colin do you think this is possible?

Thanks
Andrew

Post #56910622nd Dec 2009 7:43 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Andrew

I would go for fitting the whole dash loom as is, you have to take off most of the plastics but thats not so bad really. There are quite a few connections that go to the RHS as well as the left anyway.

In my case i removed the dash top to make the cut to the Bin Tray but i believe Ian did it in place.

Post #56914622nd Dec 2009 8:41 pm
ajsms999

Thanks Colin,

I'll let you know how I get on.

Andrew

Post #56915022nd Dec 2009 8:44 pm
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

2c Centre console loom routing & 'B' pillar to drivers kick panel

The ICE loom (blue) makes its way forwards under the centre console. Just before the gear shift it branches to the right (green) with the radio coax and radio amplifier power, left (cyan) with the MOST bus optic and the navigation gvif and upwards (red) which is the telephone arial coax and phone cradle plug.

The radio coax and aerial amplifier loom is next to the drivers side of the gear shift. The coax connector and the power connector are shown in the picture (little green arrows). As I used the ones orginally fitted in the vehicle the ones in the ICE loom are not used. I just secured them next to the original ones.

The MOST bus optic and the navigation JGIF cable run next to the passenger side of the gear shift. There are two plug and sockets arrangements here (shown with small cyan arrows). This is where the main ICE looms connects to the centre dash ICE loom. The existing most bus cable that runs up the centre of the dash to the radio will have to be replaced with the one from the range rover sport. I removed my original optic loom(may come in handy one day) and removed the radio coax from the RRS loom as it is not used.

The phone cradle loom and coax seems at this point to stop in mid air.....

With the centre console replaced the phone loom comes up with the console loom (red arrow).
I don't have a phone cradle (yet) so I secured the connectors out the way for now.

The remaining branch of the main ICE loom runs from the 'B' pillar in the trunking following the existing loom - by the drivers seat to the drivers kick panel.
Here the main ICE loom meets the dash loom. There will already be a connector here to plug the main ICE loom into (red arrow). The existing dash loom will be plugged into a dummy (empty) socket. Remove the dummy socket but dont yet plug the looms together as there are not enough wires in the dash loom!

Post #5778489th Jan 2010 9:00 pm
IanNP

3 Voice Microphone

The mic is fitted in the light assembly in the roof.
The mic is part No: XVC000050
This assembly is clipped into the roof lining and pulls down from the winscreen edge. There is a good picture in the user manual under changing bulbs!
The loom is pre fitted (red circle) but glued out of the way back on its' self. Rummage about in the roof lining (black arrow) and eventually you will find it!

You will see to empty places where the mic could go - either left or right of the electric roof switch. It goes in the right hand one for the UK (red circle)! Unclip the black plastic assembly to give room to get the mic in (black arrow).

The mic will only fit in one way round - unless you break it.
Make sure you clip the black housing back correctly else it rattles.

Plug the mic into the vehicle loom and put the lamp assembly back in place..

Post #5778749th Jan 2010 9:27 pm
mikeyp

United Kingdom 

Interesting post and write up.

But it begs the question: Why?

I find the LR Sat Nav such a pain to use compared to Garmin sat navs.

Personally, I'd have engineered a way to permanenlty mount a Garmin Sat Nav where you have installed the LR Sat Nav...

Post #58401118th Jan 2010 4:51 pm
IanNP

There are lots of reasons why I wanted the OE screen.
I guess I also like it because it is OE and putting the extras on I don't have is always a challenge!
Ian

Post #58603220th Jan 2010 8:30 pm
IanNP

4a Dash Loom

If you have taken the loom from a discovery 3 then you could change the whole dash loom - which requires you removing the dash etc.
This is the dash loom on the bench ...

I didn't take the dash out nor change the dash loom. I made an 'overlay' loom from the RRS loom that I got.
This is easy to do and something we do quite alot when fitting 'things' where there are only a few wires that need to be added.

The non navigation dash loom does not have the screen plug. This can be removed from the donor RRS loom.
Lay the loom out, the main body of the loom runs left to right, passenger kick panel to drivers kick panel and has smaller looms branching off.
Find the centre of the loom.
In the pic, the green conn on the left is for the hazzard switch panel, the two black conns are for the radio, the three white conns are for the heating control unit and the grey conn just above them is for the screen.

Starting at the grey screen plug remove the looming tape all the way to where it joins the main body of loom ..

From the grey screen plug follow the BLUE, BROWN/RED and VIOLET/BLUE wires along the loom up to the main body section ...

Remove the looming tape on the main body section to give access to where these wires join into the feeded cables. The BLUE wire turns left ..

Then comes to a joint covered in blue tape. Cut both blue wires here - shown by the black arrows ..

Now do the same with the VIOLET/BLUE ..

and then the BROWN/RED ..

The two cut blue wires need joining together
Bare the ends ..

tin them and solder them make sure there are no sharp burrs sticking out ..

then cover with self amalgamating tape ..

Go back to the grey screen plug and remove the remaining wires from the donor RRS loom. They all go to the same connector at the drivers kick panel. You will have to remove the looming tape as you go ..

Once you have removed the wires from the RRS loom up to the media connector they then need to be removed from the media connector.
This will be Pin 10, blue. Pin 9, Green. Pin 8, Yellow. Pin 7 black screen. Pin 5, Yellow. Pin 4, Green. Pin 2, Black
To remove these inserts slide the red cap forwards and remove it ..

Use a solid piece of wire , or a long needle and carefully bend down the plastic locking tab while gently pulling the wire out ..

Do this with the remaining wires.
You should then have the grey screen plug and its wires free from the RRS loom.
Using the looming tape you removed from the RRS loom you can now reloom the screen plug loom.
Use the RRS loom as a template so you know where the BROWN/RED and VIOLET/BLUE wires branch out.

Coffee Break ...

Post #58618520th Jan 2010 10:11 pm
IanNP

4b Dash Loom

The overlay loom can now be fritted to the vehicle.

Here is the hazzard switch connector, (blue) and the Radio connector (green) in the vehicle.
The RED/BROWN splices into the RED/BROWN in the hazzard loom and the VIOLET/BLUE splices into the VIOLET/BLUE in the radio loom.

Remove the looming tape from the radio connectors and find the thick VIOLET/BLUE.

Remove a small section of the outer sheath with wire strippers, make a hole and poke through the VIOLET/BLUE wire from the screen ..

Solder the wires together making sure thaer are no sharpe burrs sticking out ..

Then cover in self amalgamating tape ..

Then put the looming tape back on looming in the new wire ..

Next remove the looming tape from the hazzard switch loom (green connector) ..

Find the RED/BROWN wire and in the same way as above connect in the RED/BROWN wire from the screen loom.

You should now have the three looms as in the picture

The grey connector loom has a splice into the radio loom (green arrow) and a splice into the hazzard switch loom (blue arrow). The overlay loom then continues (red arrow) following the existing loom, then across the back of the heater ..

Then down behind the the instument binnicle ..

Working under the dash secure the overlay loom to the existing loom feeding it down to the kick panel.
Here the overlay loom meets the main ICE loom fitted earlier.

The existing vehicle medica connector will be plugged into a blank socket.
Remove it from the blank socket. It will already have some wires in it for the nokia phone module.
Top row of media connector ..

Bottom row of media connector ..

The wires of the overlay loom made from the RRS can now be put into this connector ..
Top row of Media connector ..

Bottom row of media connector

You will have one wire that is duplicated, the BLUE wire.
This needs to be spliced and soldered into the BLUE wire that is already there.
The connectors can now be plugged together.

Post #58632020th Jan 2010 11:44 pm
IanNP

5 Screen

The screen now plugs into the looms that where fitted earlier.

Grey Loom ..

Blue Loom Navigation Video ..

Optic MOST bus.
Make sure that this loom does not go round sharpe bends.
Don't forget to plug the other branch into the radio!

The screen in place.
It hooks into at the top (BLUE). The Cyan arrows show the mounting points already fitted in the heater assembly and the green arrows show the screws at the front of the screen where the pocket use to screw to ..

With everything plugged in and back together switch on the ignition. The screen will display the Land Rover Logo for a few seconds followed by a menu screen.

The naviagtion will work but most other things TMC, Phone and Voice will have to be turned on via the Car Configuration File (CCF). This is a BBS job.

All that is left to do is fit the stearing wheel controls for voice and telephone.

Time though for another coffee .

Post #58636521st Jan 2010 12:24 am
bp

United Kingdom 

Bow down Top job dont know how you find the time/patience.... all that typing and photo taking

Post #58644221st Jan 2010 1:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >