Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Brake light bulbs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I believe it has something to do with the optics, and globe positioning in the reflector.

The reflector is optimised to give a certain level of light from a 'normal' incandescant globe to meet design standards.

Post #5746811th May 2006 5:57 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Well that stands to reason as a 'normal' globe has a particular shape and LEDs can never be in exactly the same position as them within the reflector as LEDs are a different shape and size.

Still keen to hear what our overseas cousins can report with glare or visibility difficulties.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #5746911th May 2006 6:05 am
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

dickgriff wrote:
or try these

www.ultraleds.co.uk

At the risk of being boring - are they legal? Could not find anything on the website regarding this.

Post #5747011th May 2006 6:12 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Glymmer_Man has the answer - LEDs are directional and very little light escapes from the sides, so off-axis visibility is greatly reduced. Purpose-designed LED stop and tail assemblies have angled LEDs and special reflectors to spread the light. So replacing your original lamps with the LED lamps available on the market will not necessarily comply with lighting regulations.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #5747911th May 2006 8:21 am
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Tony wrote:
So replacing your original lamps with the LED lamps available on the market will not necessarily comply with lighting regulations.

.....but whose going to know anyway, & more likely to get stopped for blown bulbs by plod.

BTW Have you ever followed a Disco in the fog that has then braked. It's like Blackpool illuminations!! (except on mine) Smile
 Richard  
Post #5748411th May 2006 8:38 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

bluebarchetta wrote:
dickgriff wrote:
or try these

www.ultraleds.co.uk

At the risk of being boring - are they legal? Could not find anything on the website regarding this.

Well - do they conform precisly to the EU regs - nah !!

But who cares ! As long as they are not burning peoples eyes out, eh. They are being used more readily by maufacturers now so I think its all a bit blurred legally.

I have bright white LED sidelights that are much more inkeeping with the xenons - not bin stopped yet. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5748611th May 2006 8:59 am
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

When I get my D3, I'll pop around and have a chat with Mr. Ultraleds.co.uk, as I can almost see his house from where I'm sat at the mo.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #5749011th May 2006 9:07 am
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

LeighW wrote:
On the subject of LEDs (hope we haven't strayed too far from the thread) I just spoke with a sales person (a motorcycle rider) from Jaycar about why LED replacements are sold as unsuitable for on-road use. He says they produce too much glare.

Is that a problem that other users have noticed where LEDs have been used as replacements?

I've got LEDs as standard in all of the tail lights in my M3. No appreciable glare and certainly work well. Maybe you could see if the standard M3 in Aus is shipped with LEDs - it has been for the last 3 years in the UK.

I have been considering getting them for my D3 but need guidance as to which ones will fit & look OK in the lamps. Shall therefore watch this thread with interest.
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #5749511th May 2006 9:22 am
phoenix

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

i do quite a lot of trailer work and i often noticed the old type bulbs blown after a 500 mile or so trip with a trailer. it is a proper not very old ifor williams car trailer and i suspect it puts some sort of vibration into the rear of the vehicle. my discoII was also auto so it may have been the combination of that as well.i try not to use brakes much as i found back in the seventies my range rover used less petrol if i stayed away from the brakes.i have in the past used a cortina mk3 and a fiesta back end instead of my brakes but in both cases their brake lights were not working before or especially after we met.
i will replace all the bulbs in our DiscoIII soon with LED when i get aroundtuit as i think the back of my vehicle looks great the way it is!. Idea

Post #5749711th May 2006 9:56 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As someone else has said, LEDs are directional, so the reflector doesn't do it's job. You end up with seeing just a small spot of light within the lamp.
However, you'll see there are now newer led bulb replacements that have LEDs mounted on the sides and some at the base pointing backwards. These send light out in all directions, so the reflector then does it's job and are a better replacement for a standard bulb. LEDs last longer, do not produce any heat and work much faster. They're probably also much better when off-roading as they would cope with the vibrations better.
 Matt  
Post #5749811th May 2006 9:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

simkna wrote:
When I get my D3, I'll pop around and have a chat with Mr. Ultraleds.co.uk, as I can almost see his house from where I'm sat at the mo.

Si.

Try and push for a forum discount then eh Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5750811th May 2006 10:48 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

edtheduck wrote:
Maybe you could see if the standard M3 in Aus is shipped with LEDs - it has been for the last 3 years in the UK.

Our M3s and even some locally produced crap heaps use LEDs. Even alot of our trucks (read: lorries) use LED lamps and width markers, but again, these have reflectors which have been designed for this light source.

Post #5753311th May 2006 12:39 pm
mudplugger

England 
LED Rear Stop/Tail Lamps

I changed all four of the stop tail lamps in my D3 for the LED lamps from ultraleds.

Main reason is that the 'on' time is about 0.3s faster thn incandescent bulbs, and thus just MIGHT make a difference between some tailgating white van man joining you for a choccie bar from the fridge or not - when you have to brake sharpish because of some other twerp pulling out in front of you...

The LED's look OK and in mist and rain (both Wales and Lancashire have plenty of this stuff - no water shortages here...) they are noticeably brighter.

These are the versions with side mounted LEDs and the two contact offset pin fitting that's standard. The lower of the two lamps on each side is only a tail lamp - but still uses the same stop/tail fitting (not connecting the 21W element) and so it's an expensive exercise to buy LED's .. when the brake part stays unlit forever..
However, even light distribution and simple fitting mean these lamps just work - and well.

The lamps are significantly brighter, but are also 'instant' on/off. Have found less people tending to slipstram me since I've had them - either they're so bright they need to back off or they just realise they come on FAST.

Have also used the white LED's for the front side lamps - much 'cooler' white light. Did have the LED's as interior lighting too, but the cool - almost fluorescent lighting made the car look cold and uninviting.. so I went back to the good old wedge bulbs.. Have done the reversing lamp (now LED), but left the indicators because of the hassle regards the on/off timings with the low current draw on the LED's.
Think I've struck the happy medium with bulbs vs. LED'S.
Regards,

Muddy
 From a two Land Rover household to one big FFRR...

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Post #6122731st May 2006 12:26 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Got any pics of the LED stop & tails in action MP??
Post #6123231st May 2006 12:53 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A picture of the LED lamps in action would be great, as I would like to do the same.
However, in the past I've tried LED lamps and they weren't successful due to not enough light bouncing off the rear deflector. The new style LED lamps with LEDs pointing all directions would solve this.
 Matt  
Post #6124231st May 2006 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >