DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

D4 Wheel with Tiptronic on a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 47 <123 ... 454647>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

LR3GuyJoe

Well given that there was not exactly massive interest shown here, the project got demoted and delegated to one of my staff, who then went on 2 weeks break due to family bereavement.

As far as i am concerned, i have done all the hard work on figuring out how to actually do it, so it's now just a matter or putting in the labour to make the prototype, which means i will end up with a D4 wheel and its controls on my D3 even if no one else does.

So it is entirely do able, its just a question of cost justification.

To integrate the heated wheel stuff at the same time will require me to buy more bits, which at the present level of interest and in mind of the fact that in sunny Cyprus i really have no need of that feature myself makes it a bit harder to justify

Post #5963063rd Feb 2010 7:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If DSL can import some blue sky from Florida, then maybe he can send you some snow..... Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5963243rd Feb 2010 8:20 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Awwww
Thanx Paul Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

You know it might seem silly, but since i upgraded to my beautiful nappa leather wheel i do feel quite attached to the old girl.

Post #5963663rd Feb 2010 9:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LR3GuyJoe

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

My condolences to your employee.

I totally understand, I'll just check back with you in the future to see if it gets anywhere.
 Sceen name use to be "wantsanlr3"

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-A frankenstein Mini '66 sportspack with a vauxhall lump
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #5964223rd Feb 2010 10:17 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

For sure i will end up with a D4 wheel working in my D3.

Post #5989527th Feb 2010 9:05 pm
LR3GuyJoe

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I'm sure you will 8) But if you end up making one magical box let me know if I can persuade you some how into make two or possibly a "solder it yourself kit" Whistle
 Sceen name use to be "wantsanlr3"

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-A frankenstein Mini '66 sportspack with a vauxhall lump
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #5997369th Feb 2010 7:19 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Ah, we will see Wink

once i have an up and working version of this, there may be perhaps more interest.

Post #60111410th Feb 2010 9:37 pm
rangeroverman

United Kingdom 

if you can fit a 2010 sport wheel in my pre-2009 sport put me on your list of buyers.
Thumbs Up

Post #60121010th Feb 2010 11:00 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya All

Just wanted to bring this thread / Projects news up to date.

Although the project got back burner-ed for a while, we have now re commenced work on it from about a week to 10 days ago. Thumbs Up

It ain't easy, but the progress through some of the major nitty gritty detail has actually been quite good.
I myself have taken over the prototype design and am pleased to say that i am about 90% complete with that and therefore almost ready to order the first set of parts i will need to build a working prototype set. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I have figured a way to make the additional 5 way switches that on a D4 control the Instrument pack functionality optionally act as the same as the normal set of 5 way switches. , IE Plus Volume, Minus Volume, Forward, Backward and Mode, or hopefully as additional control inputs that a Car PC program such as Centrafuse can separately detect. But until i get the parts and try this, i cannot say how successfully this will work in both cases.

I have also managed to borrow a D4 wheel that will make vehicle testing that bit easier.

BTW Rangeroverman, does your sport have Adaptive cruise or just the regular type?

Hopefully once i get the bits, i will be able to knock up a demo video.

Post #62526622nd Mar 2010 7:50 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'll be impressed if you can get it working on my manual Mr. Green Rolling with laughter
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #62526822nd Mar 2010 7:53 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Well its been 10 days since my last update.
But most notably, today was a Bank holiday, and so i was able to spend a bit more time than usual on this and boy it took all day.

But in summation, and in various different wordings, the result of this additional effort is is.

The boys only gone and Fecking done it 100%
In the House
Well sorted
Jobs a good un Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yep, i am now the proud owner and driver of the worlds only Disco 3 with a fully functioning Disco 4 steering wheel, with all controls fully functioning and then some.
And to think someone once said it could not be done.

As if you cannot already tell, i am quite elated and most pleased. Whistle
I love it when a plan comes together. Rolling with laughter

I have got all the Audio functionality running from both left and right 5 way cluster switches simultaneously, which i promise you was no small thing. Optionally, via a jumper setting, the second 5 way cluster set can be used, as i currently have it, a functional copy of the other, or it can be set so as to give Centrafuse different mappable control values for cursor input etc, the telephone and voice recognition buttons also work as they should, as does all cruise control button inputs. I also have the back light of all buttons working and dimming with the D3 dimmer control, although they are still a tiny bit too bright compared to the rest of the dash lights and need a bit more re trimming to get them matching perfectly. That alone was no small thing, as on the D3 the light intensity is taken from the dimmer directly, but on a D4 the value is adjusted in the switches by a micro controller according to intensity data sent in over the LIN bus by the Body control ECU.

The progress does also now allow me to factor how what i have already done can be provided to others and the costings involved. The good news is that rather than anyone having to but pre converted switches from us, i should be able to provide an easy to use conversion kit. depending of course on the amount of interested parties, that should end up not costing too much.

I do still want to look into the possibilities of adding heated steering wheel control as well and of course i am still hoping to do something with the paddle switch option, but for that i need to invest in more bits.

But by anyone's standard this really is great news and i hope to have some pictures and video of it working quite soon.

warmest Regards to all

Colin

Last edited by BBS SPY on 9th Apr 2010 1:36 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #6307551st Apr 2010 6:18 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Excellent work Colin Thumbs Up

Does this mean im going to have to find time to do more mods Very Happy
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #6307701st Apr 2010 7:03 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hello Wiggs
I see you found what else i have been up to recently Rolling with laughter
From day one, when to so many others, we seemed like little more than just smoke and mirrors, you never doubted us for a second, and in response, have we ever done anything less than to introduce capability that will always keep such a plugged in and ultra helpful D3 guy like you quite busy Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #6307921st Apr 2010 7:32 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Looks as though you need an RRS 2010 paddle wheel for conversion since your car is auto. May be i can help Wink

Pete

Ps

If you need a spare manual car for the non paddle wheel you have made, I could fit the one you have working to my D3 manual along with my D4 front end conversion next week Mr. Green it would be only a waste on your car since its auto and i could make good use of it hehe.

Post #6308261st Apr 2010 8:30 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

He He
Hello Pete Matey

I see you found me here too. Wink
Well that's certainly saved me an e-mail.

Tell you what, i will let you have your loaner wheel back with my conversion as promised for your D3 to D 4 look a like conversion project, just as soon as i have made it famous with a few piccies and a Video and you give me something more challenging to sort out like a heated wheel or one with them flappy paddles at least Thumbs Up

Looking forward to helping you sort your D4 AFS on a D3 and proving that can be done too.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 2nd Apr 2010 5:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6308541st Apr 2010 8:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 47 <123 ... 454647>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >