Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

D4 Wheel with Tiptronic on a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 47 <123 4 ... 454647>
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

OHHHHHH now im even more excited than i was at tea time for the D3 to D4 conversion im doing, when i just got the wings back from the paint shop today, done in Zambezi silver 737 without a mark,scratch,dimple or nib they are absloutley mintly painted.

With a stroke of luck ill start the body conversion next week then onto what we are now getting good at which is joint collaboration work on the D4 AFS on a D3 and we can be the first to crack that too Smile

Chq your email, i just sent you one RE a RRS2010 paddle wheel

Pete

Post #6308931st Apr 2010 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

Ive posted this thread link on the RRS forum as i beleive the same conversion may interest them also especially because fitment is the same with the execption to the ACC on the TDV8.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post261757.html#261757

Pete

Last edited by bellautos on 1st Apr 2010 11:00 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #6309081st Apr 2010 9:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Pete

I look forward to seeing what i can do with that when it arrives Thumbs Up

Post #6312392nd Apr 2010 7:21 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Colin sounds like you are making progress with this. Thumbs Up

I for one would dearly love to have flappy paddles on both my D3 and RRS, but have no need for heated wheel or the integration of the extra steering wheel buttons.

Is the "paddle" part of the RRS 2010 wheel compatible with the older D3 type wheel?

Post #6318855th Apr 2010 7:27 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Guys, i am absolutely gob smacked.
I myself had not noted this, but recently i read a post from DaveVX that had me pinching myself in sheer disbelief.

Many of you will be able to recall me posting up when i got the 4x4 info enabled.
If not here is a link to that post.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic33114.html

Most significantly however, check out the date Shocked Shocked Shocked

As everyone now knows, it was certainly no April fools joke, although it seems some thought it was.
And looking at the pictures, you can see why. A couple of notable items on the dash easily re producible in another car with 4x4 info enabled. In fact it's worse than that cus on the second picture the pen is missing and the lighter moved Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now scroll back a few posts and check out the date i posted my success with this D4 wheel into a D3 project.
Censored me if it is not also April the first too.

However fortunately for me, i have just done a bit of a video demo to prove its no prank.
Excuse the knobbly knees Whistle

http://www.youtube.com/user/BBSP38#p/a/u/0/PnD8gilLNk4

I guess the camera man could possibly be adjusting the radio controls when its out of shot, however the voice activation and Cruise use is not really fake-able.

Baben
The paddle bits will definitely be the hardest to do. The vehicles do not natively support them, which means i am really going to have to be most creative. But i have some workable ideas and thanks to Pete supplying me the bits, i can try them out and hopefully report success before 1st April 2011.

BTW another big up to Pete for lending me the wheel from his D4 to use as a guinea pig.

Post #6330507th Apr 2010 6:53 pm
bellautos

Ohhh, now that looks cool on a D3 well done that man. Bow down Put me down for a few kits.

Re sending you the wheel for testing and developement, your very welcome, what is mine is yours if you need it any time.

Pete

Post #6330577th Apr 2010 7:11 pm
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Me Like. No, me LOVE ! (it is not event the final product I like the most but the ability some here have to do the ... undoable !)
congrats !
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Last edited by Verydisco on 1st Jul 2010 12:43 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6330687th Apr 2010 7:53 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Why, Thank you so very much Verydisco.
What a truly lovely compliment. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Since i was quite young, i have always had an unquenchable fascination for electronics, computers and cars and over the many years since, i have somehow managed to work in these three fields in some way or another, with or without the benefit of wisdom, that ultimately only age and experience seems to provide. Along the way, and reflecting back, perhaps those not into reading my notorious essays should stop reading now before i take you on a trip down my particular memory lane.

However for those of you who might be interested to know a bit more about me and my past, other than polish off a decent bottle, i am happy to type up a bit of my history for ya. Neutral

On the car side, i have worked as a main Dealership mechanic, (FIAT can you believe) I even ran my own Garage cum accident repair shop for many years.
Yep believe it or not, i have replaced oil and filters on thousands of cars, changed more clutches and brake pads than i care to remember, rebuilt umpteen engines from block up and turned almost worthless piles of written off scrap i bought for a couple of hundred quid, back into the most desirable cars worth 10K plus. Jigging, welding, spraying, you name it, i did it. I even built one of those Lamborghini Countach replica kit cars, complete with an electronic bar graph instrument cluster i made entirely from scratch. I think i was just 18 at that time. Shocked

On the electronics side, i have worked as an audio / Video repair technician in a shop, replaced and aligned more Betamax and VHS video heads than i care to remember, (anyone remember them Laughing ) serviced and repaired many hundreds of car stereos and fitted umpteen mega car audio and alarm installs, including one which won the European sound pressure level award. We had to turn the car upside down and re-inforce the inside of the roof with fibre glass for that, not bat for a Rover Metro Shocked

On the computer side, i built my own Sinclair ZX 80 (anyone remember them) wrote my own code for it, migrated up to the ZX 81 which i seriously modified and then the rubber keyboard ZX spectrum. By the time they added a Disk drive to the spectrum 3, i was selling software and custom hardware for it at like 5 grand a time. By the time the first B&W 386 PC's were out i way buying 16Mhz Mitac laptops 40 at a time and leasing them with my software and hardware at 1k per month to some very big names and i was employing my first full time programmer.

However as cars have got ever more like mobile computers, and so full of electronics, i have found that my three main interests have become more combined than ever, and what i do today, and have done since 1996 in the form of Blackbox Solutions, really just seems to me to be my natural calling and the Disco 3 is just such a dream playground to me.

Doing this wheel conversion project was and is, just so much fun to me. That what i just so love to do all day long, ultimately benefits others and provides me a way to pay the bills is just the cherry on the cake for me.

And while after reading a bit about my past history you might imagine i am some really old guy, and sure enough it does now seem to take me all day to do what i used to do all day, i assure you that there is still quite a lot of life left in the old dog yet. Wink

Now where on earth did i put that Flux Capacitor?

Post #6331317th Apr 2010 9:45 pm
bellautos

Ive just read this post and remembered we had a conversation a few months back about the ZX81 so i thought id google a picture.

Ohhh this brings back memorys, its amazing now to think this simple peice of kit actually worked at all compared to modern pcs.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10686/xz81.bmp

Post #6331467th Apr 2010 10:00 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

OH god a trip down memory lane then, I´ll talk about Dragon 32, BBc B (which I seriously wanted but could afford), Atari 600XL - 400/800 and the commodore thing upgrade from the Vic 20...

ah the bygone days of a misspent youth.

How many flux capacitors did you want Whistle
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #6331817th Apr 2010 10:26 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Oh yea, that piccy brings it all back now.

You used to get crashes due to the 16K ram pack wobble effect. basically a poor edge connector at the back.

You used to be able to buy games like "Horace goes skiing" on cassette from WHSmith, and buy magazines for it with pages of printed programs you would spend hours typing in, but could never get working due to typos they would reveal and apologize for in the following months magazine if you were not smart enough to figure them out first.
You could save and load programs with a separate cassette recorder.

Christ, where have all those happy years gone ?

Post #6331837th Apr 2010 10:35 pm
SN

you can have them all back with MESS - Google for MESS smulator Whistle
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6332728th Apr 2010 9:00 am
mzplcg

England 

BBS SPY wrote:
Now where on earth did i put that Flux Capacitor?

You know, I now have a picture of Dr Emmet Brown stuck in my mind. Don't tell me you have white hair which sticks up all over as well Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

BTW, can you build me one of his amps & speaker stacks ?? Mr. Green Mr. Green

Dom

Post #6333008th Apr 2010 10:21 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Does anyone know how to interface with the D3 gearbox to use the manual + & - controls? Is it an electrical or mechanical interface?

if this is possible, would the gear selector have to be pushed across to m/s or would it work similar to the new RRS?

And most Importantly, will manual select work the same in low range? This is where I anticipate the paddle shift being of great benefit, ie. Offroad - you won't have to take a hand off the wheel in extreme situations

I am fairly sure there is a way to make the paddle shift work on the steering wheel side, based on Pete Bell's posts (thanks pete!)

Post #63434910th Apr 2010 10:44 pm
bellautos

It's possibile yes to interface the D4 paddles onto a D3, lets see what the coming weeks bring Thumbs Up

Pete

Post #63435610th Apr 2010 11:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 47 <123 4 ... 454647>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >