Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Whats Got Your Goat Up today ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 113 of 286 <123 ... 112113114 ... 284285286>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I had to buy an insurance policy on our house, the vendor couldn’t prove they’d paid it. We took the cost of the policy off the sale price. It was a couple of hundred quid in 2006.

I haven’t paid a penny in ground rent since, and have not established contact with the leaseholder to arrange payment. Someone in Penzance but they don’t respond.

I’m thinking I might try to purchase my freehold.

Post #223235825th May 2021 11:17 am
SN

Probably going to do the same on the new place - when we last exchanged post with the woman we were sending the £5's to she actually gave a name/address in London to approach to buy the Chief Rent/Freehold whatever you call it. This was back in 2001 unfortunately...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #223238025th May 2021 1:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

On this topic, I pay 38 quid a year for the ground rent on my moms house, so approached the the leaseholder to ask for a quote to purchase the freehold. They have emailed me today asking for a £325 fee to “ process my request”. Surely that can’t be right, wanting payment just to provide a price.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #223241225th May 2021 4:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I think there is a calculator somewhere as to how much buying it costs ... unless that's just for chief-rent.

Post #223241925th May 2021 5:11 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

There is a formal route to buying the freehold and then there are informal routes. The formal route sets out how things like fees can be dealt with. On the informal route, you have to put up with a bit of to-and-fro, I suppose.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #223242425th May 2021 6:11 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Moderators who cannot spell. This evening's little gems:
Quote:
your all in four a good live stream hit the thums up button pleas

4 mistakes in 14 words

Quote:
like and subcribe to all the channels that are live to nite pleas

Getting better, that's 3 mistakes in 13 words
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #223243425th May 2021 7:05 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

SWMBO's company has decided to relocate 40 miles away to just outside Leicester to consolidate all the small satellite 'offices' into one. Given this includes people based in Glasgow I think they could be losing a few people......

SWMBO works with about 25 other people and about 15 of them live locally to current office in Stratford-upon-Avon or further south (so further away) of the rest some are 'on the road' anyway or equidistant to the new place. (About 60 people will be in new office)

Even the directors are saying only one director is 'happy' about this (he lives just north of Leicester.....).

No travel subsistence offered, relocation on a case-by-case basis (i.e. the Glasgow team).

Reason is to reduce costs so having just had over a year of people working from home and saying it worked really well they now insist that people are to commute to the office "minimum four days a week" with 23 annual flexi days to WFH (so the average is 4.5 days a week in office?).

that 80 mile round trip is around 18k miles a year so around £50-60 a week in fuel alone plus depreciation and running costs of a car (and seems view is SWMBO is OK as she has access to one of my company cars so "doesn't pay for wear & tear anyway" Rolling Eyes )

Journey time around 50 minutes there and 1 hour 5 minutes coming home (her current commute to Stratford office is 1.5 miles).

If you don't agree to go you are offered statutory redundancy terms + one week at statutory rate ex-gratia payment (statutory rate is £544/week) They have just over a week to agree to move and if they 'try it but don't like it', etc. then they will be deemed to have left of their own accord so not even stat' redundancy terms.

It's a tough old world but this seems a short-sighted plan to me. SWMBO won't move as it is just 'not worth it' in respect of travel time and costs and she'll only get a couple of grand redundancy and following the 'all hands' meeting yesterday it seems the majority of (current) local staff are saying they can't afford to go really or same travel/cost issues, even if a car-pool set up. Sure there are lots of people out there who can/will replace them more local to the new offices.

Post #223252026th May 2021 1:01 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Is this a case of constructive dismissal??

SWMBO's employer being well aware that the majority of staff will not like the office move??
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #223252526th May 2021 1:44 pm
SN

This happened twice to me over the last 11 years - was bumped from Cheadle South Manchester to Birchwood in Warrington in 2010. Then bumped from Birchwood to Chorley. BUT my employer gave me the difference in commute each way as mileage payments for the first year then 50% of that second year each time. An ultimate increase of 30 miles each way. And now the Chorley Office is closing too.

Your SWMBO's company obviously don't trust their employees to work from home (at the productivity rate they expect...)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #223252826th May 2021 1:58 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

around 2005 i worked for a telecoms operations centre. As it was a totally new concept half of the shift teams were employed by the company contracted to set up the new network and half were employed by the old Peek Traffic. Once the project reached a certain stage then the all of us on Peek traffic contracts would TUPE across to the new company.
However when that time came, the way they worked out pay was really sneaky and we would all have ended up with less take home pay (not by much but enough to annoy us). We were told we didnt have to TUPE but we would not be entitled to pension, overtime, expenses etc etc and only receive our basic pay whilst still being expected to provide shift cover. They didnt break any laws but they definitely played the big boys hard ball game.
I left the company 6 months later it got that bad.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #223252926th May 2021 1:59 pm
astonbuilder

ianm27 wrote:
Is this a case of constructive dismissal??........

I don't believe it is. There is a lot of greyness in employment law in this area. I think there are cases of 'reasonable distance' being 50 miles and 'time' of an hour at least and the caveat depends/case-by-case, etc.

It also works in the companies 'favour' as the default 'fix' is redundancy and the further 'bonus' it only has to be 'statutory' (remember they are being extra generous with the +1 week statutory ex-gratia payment despite "not having to do so"... Rolling Eyes )

I think the 'best' claim anybody has is a discriminatory claim if have 'medical' or disability issues around such a travel journey and/or they have specific care duties; kids school drop off/collect, etc. Other than that I think its in their 'right' to do all that they say they are doing.....

SWMBO is one of four 'office reps' so a lot of chatter and noise heading her way in last 24 hours. I've suggested that they should contact a union as sure they meet criteria to 'invite in' such representation.

The working from home mistrust may well be the reason but ahead of Covid swathes of the finance and accounting heads basically did flexi-time and no rigid rules as such.

Just cannot see how at least half of the Warwickshire heads will just decide 'not worth it' (as per SWMBO), there are a handful of compulsory redundancies and a few 're-apply for your own tweaked job' roles in the mix too (presumably taking on the roles of those made redundant?).

Post #223253526th May 2021 2:32 pm
Journeyman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would take some legal advice from a union or potentially an Employment Law Solicitor - some may well give 30 minutes free advice. Potentially it constitutes a significant change in employment terms so worthwhile going through your other half’s employment contract with a fine tooth comb to check if they can do this.

I’m very rusty as I’ve been out of the corporate world for 12 years now but would have thought they just can’t impose this without consultation.

Good luck.
 Cheers,

Jez

Discovery 3 HSE Stornaway Grey
MY 2008 2.7 TDV6

Discovery 2 2003 - gone 

Post #223255226th May 2021 5:18 pm
Gadgetnut

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Citizens Advice are really helpful if you can get through.

If you decide not to move with th job, it is really worth talking to ACAS about the redundancy and the potential of a settlement agreement instead.
 D1 3Door (White) Long gone
D1 3 Door (Red) Long gone
D2 5 Door (Charleston Green) Long gone
D4 HSE (Black) 

Post #223255326th May 2021 5:29 pm
astonbuilder

^^^^^^That's exactly what I've told her already Thumbs Up

Post #223255426th May 2021 5:33 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

NEVER EVER sign a settlement agreement unless it is massively in your favour. As well as money they always contain clauses that you can never make any claim against the company.

I saw one recently where an employee of the Co-Op insurance arm could be sued by them if she ever made a claim in one of their shops ... complaining about inedible goods, tripping on bad flooring etc. was a no-no if she'd signed as it was presented to her !

Post #223256226th May 2021 6:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 113 of 286 <123 ... 112113114 ... 284285286>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >