Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Air suspension Height calibration adjustment capability.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I see yours is a 2007 HSE....is this fitted with the roof-mounted pod for the PTI antenna? Any maybe roof rails?

Maybe removing these could get you another inch of clearance..... Question

The first thing I did when I took a D3 for a test drive was to go home and stick in the garage to make sure it fitted and I could still open the doors to get in and out.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #47219326th May 2009 9:16 am
jdhx

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

So maybe opening the air valves is the way to go. How do I do that?

Post #47220026th May 2009 9:26 am
PaulP

Are you serious?? Shocked

I would say it's definitely not the way to go for putting the D3 in the garage every night.....

It's technically possible, but certainly isn't a 'press the button' type of thing.
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #47220326th May 2009 9:28 am
jdhx

I agree but if I wanted to garage the car for a few weeks it would be feasible and maybe by an electrically operated valve.
 Volvo XC60 - does all that the D4 should have done
Discovery HSE MY16 (good apart from the heating), now sold
Audi TT Roadster (wow)
MGB Roadster (owned since 1992)
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE MY08
Saab 9-5 Aero 2002 (gone but not forgotten) 

Post #47220426th May 2009 9:30 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Your compressor would be working overtime to get the car back up to height after dumping all the air. And having had my previous 06 dump itself on to the bump stops, it doesn't half bounce if you hit a bump, so you'd need to head in at crawl speed. Personally I'd suggest you look at your garage door before playing with the suspension on the car?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #47220526th May 2009 9:33 am
PaulP

ok Thumbs Up

You need to read this thread from the beginning - this will give you an option that would work. There's probably a more 'mechanical' way of doing it too Whistle
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #47220626th May 2009 9:33 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have never started off in access mode and opened all four corner valves + the exhaust, which would be what you would do with our diagnostic system to cause the car to drop down all the way, so i cannot confirm exactly what the extra difference would be. Behaps someone out there with our equipment would oblige.
However i am used to seeing the car in access mode and fully deflated, and from memory, there does seem to be a noticeable difference.

I do have a guy working on a small embeddable EAS controller unit right now that would give you a single press capability to do that. However, although there is no technical difficulty for us in being able to functionally achieve this, after all its what our full blown system does, it still takes time to write the code, build the hardware and test / debug it.
So it might be another couple of weeks, a month or even 2 months yet, but it will be there eventually and it will definitely be another little piece of BBS Magic Thumbs Up

Addendum edit,
Forgot to mention that the deflate to lowest would keep the pressure available in the reservoir and it would hold it in diagnostic mode, thereby inhibiting any ECU control, even with power down, it would remember last mode.

Because as Caver says, that would lead to another way of removing any PTI fin & roof rails Rolling with laughter

Post #47221526th May 2009 9:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jdhx

BBS SPY wrote:
Forgot to mention that the deflate to lowest would keep the pressure available in the reservoir and it would hold it in diagnostic mode, thereby inhibiting any ECU control, even with power down, it would remember last mode.

I don't understand this bit, can you clarify please.

Thanks
Audi TT Roadster (wow)

Post #47225326th May 2009 11:55 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

When the EAS is in normal operational mode, it makes its own decisions about opening and closing the valves to affect the vehicles height based on inputs, user or otherwise.

So we could put it in diagnostic mode whereby we control take control over the system. Open its valves to deflate it, however the moment we end the diagnostic connection the EAS returns to normal and would likely raise. Which would not be good if you were still inside your garage and you did not have the roof clearance.

If the EAS is however kept in diagnostic mode or otherwise locked from self moving, this will inhibit any motion so it would be safe.

Regards the Reservoir, It means that when you want to raise the car again, you will at least have some reserve to start you off. This is unlike a complete system deflate.

Post #47230426th May 2009 1:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob B

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread but the jist of it is of interest to me.

My wife has MS and currently finds it Very difficult to get in the D3 even on Access height. Would this, or a variant, allow me hit a button and drop it right down so she can get in? Nice and simple! Thumbs Up

Also, I've always thought that having independant air suspension would be great for those with roof tents who need to level the car inorder to get a good nights sleep. A single press to level the car on uneven surface would be almost as useful as the complete drop below access height.

Post #47231926th May 2009 2:44 pm
jdhx

Your need for a rock bottom access mode is certainly more worthy than my desire to put my new toy away at night but let's both hope they can do it cheaply enough to afford.

On the other point, I suspect that levelling horizontal is going to be difficult at least with any degree of automation. Unless the car has a pair of built in spirit levels (does it guys?) then how does the software know which corners to pump up and which to let down and of course the extra software would need to be added in some way.

Rgds
Audi TT Roadster (wow)

Post #47241626th May 2009 7:06 pm
Rob B

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

jdhx wrote:
On the other point, I suspect that levelling horizontal is going to be difficult at least with any degree of automation. Unless the car has a pair of built in spirit levels (does it guys?) then how does the software know which corners to pump up and which to let down and of course the extra software would need to be added in some way.
of course it doesn't stop the control box having 2 accelerometers inside.  
Post #47244326th May 2009 8:10 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Really sorry to add such an essay on the matter in discussion, but its my job and although i know many may not be that interested, i write really for those that might like to learn and know a little more about some of the history of the technology behind the modern D3.

Quote:
Unless the car has a pair of built in spirit levels (does it guys?)

When ABS systems (of which Bosch were the main pioneers) were first introduced, they were little more than systems that, via pick ups on each wheel, could measure the rotation of each wheel and thus detect differential wheel rotation. Under braking, these ABS control units could use valves to relieve driver applied pressure to locked wheels. Brake pedal stepping down in pulses. Later advents saw the ability of such systems to regulate and apply pressure themselves, achieving maximum braking on each wheel. Usually the pedal pressure was isolated and maintained, although fast pulsing could be felt

It was a natural transition for the same rotation inputs to be monitored during acceleration and the same pressure and valves used to prevent wheel spin, giving Traction control. CAN Bus technology also allowed for the ABS (& now also Traction control ECU) to tell the engine management to back off the power whenever wheel spin was detected under acceleration. Exactly the same inputs and valve control is also used in hill decent control technology, which is really just additional software routines.

As such ABS units were produced that could also provide traction control (P38 Range Rover) and HDC capabilities (Freelander 1). One of the latest and best units being the widely known Bosch 5.7 ABS systems.

However in the early 20's, Bosch, in conjunction with one of the major German manufacturers, developed a whole new technological concept, so significant, that it would in effect turn everything upside down and revolutionize the feeling and handling of cars forever. The resultant improvement in road safety was such that the German manufacturer that co developed it's biggest rival, was able to persuade a court to force them to share in the technology and there were even government web sites created to educate people to the advantages. It is reputed that cars carrying the technology were involved in 80% less accidents than non equipped models. Shocked

The development in question was the introduction of a CAN bus connected gyro sensor, mounted on a thick metal pate, centrally in the vehicle. It is so sensitive, it can measure even the slightest of G forces on a car in any direction. Coupled in a fast CAN bus connected system, this sensors input allows auto boxes to change gear without the occupants feeling anything, as well as far smoother smoother power delivery / acceleration from the engine management. So if you ever wondered how come your auto does not jerk you as it changes gear or how come your vehicle does not snap your neck, stall or jerk you no matter how badly you apply the clutch and accelerator, now you know why. Thumbs Up

However, although this new technology provided a magic carpet ride capability, it is in the braking department that it enjoys its best achievements
By combining, via the CAN bus, gravitational force information, traditional wheel Rotation information (that is nowadays translated more as rotational mass at each wheel), engine torque application information, gearbox torque in and out input, and additional steering wheel angle sensor input. The control unit knows exactly what is happening to the vehicle at all times, and more importantly what user inputs are being applied. How hard the driver is accelerating or braking, at what angle they are holding the steering etc, It has, built in, a set of pre determined safe parameters, at which it knows the vehicle is under control and should the vehicle ever go to close to exceeding those, it can instantly calculate and apply correctional control over the engine management, gearbox and braking control valves to keep the car within the known safe and stable envelope. This technology is commonly known as Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).

Although keeping abreast of such technological matters is just part of my job, and i enjoy sharing my knowledge and understanding, i have to say that nothing comes close to my enjoyment of understanding the true implications and ramifications of something that is otherwise an almost un noticable change in name by those behind it.

For example if you have a Rover 75 / or MG ZT, it is fitted with a Bosch 5.7 ABS system, of which almost its entire primary function is to provide just anti lock braking. hence the ABS title, If you want traction control with that, then it has an add on module that can prevent wheel spin and talk to the engine management to tell it to back off. A sub functional add on capability.

However if you have an L322, it is fitted from introduction with a Bosch 5.7 DSC unit that looks exactly the same as in the Rover / MG. However Anti lock braking is just a sub function of this unit. It's primary role is to ensure that no matter what you do, the vehicle remains stable and safe at all times. ABS, Traction control and HDC are now such sub parts of the overall functionality that the system is now a Dynamic Stability Control unit with a sub function of ABS and not the other way round.

It happened right there in the blink of a subtle name change, but it represents so much to the likes of you and i that i always think it so sad that so few would probably ever even notice, i felt compelled to write this long post and explain, so that others may also appreciate the significance of the event.

Nowadays of course the CAN bus also ties in information and control with active dampening, active ride and suspension control systems too such as EAS. In fact while you may look at the bit of electronics attached to the hydraulic valve block and think that this is simply the ABS, It is actually now the Vehicle Dynamics module, and yes, JHDX, it sure does have the ability to tell the EAS system if the car is currently level or not. And i apologize for the long winded response, but given my understanding and knowledge of the actual technology in play, i could hardly have been justified in acknowledging it as a pair of built in spirit levels Very Happy

Post #47251726th May 2009 11:27 pm
PaulP

Thanks Colin - very interesting post Thumbs Up

I do seem to remember reading that the Sat Nav unit (under the seat) has a built-in gyroscope though - or am I imagining it?
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #47255127th May 2009 7:22 am
jdhx

BBS SPY wrote:
it sure does have the ability to tell the EAS system if the car is currently level or not.

I had realised that it must have a system that could detect motion but had not appreciated that it could work statically.

Your "essays" are really worth reading, did your school reports ever say something like: "When Colin is interested in a subject his use of English is eloquent although at times he has a very slight tendancy to be verbose"? Keep them coming and your products too.

So when is the ESA Kicker for D3 being released?

Thanks
Audi TT Roadster (wow)

Last edited by jdhx on 28th May 2009 9:27 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #47260327th May 2009 9:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >