Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Air suspension Height calibration adjustment capability.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Air suspension Height calibration adjustment capability.

As some of you may know, we have been working on adding additional capability to our diagnostic software for Discovery 3 / RRS, and recently we released a short simple demonstration video showing our capability to edit the Vehicles CCF data file which allows the configuration and settings for the entire vehicle to be changed as desired.

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/download...F_Edit.wmv

We also released some pictures of some changes to the sat nav system here
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic30441.html

At the time we did not have a commercial posting license as we do now, and so had to work hard to avoid unintentionally infringing those rules, sorry DG Embarassed

However the main reason for posting this information, as the features are not yet ready for release was not for commercial reasons but to procure feedback from the members here to ensure our direction of development is aligned more with what is wanted and needed rather than what we would like or found easy to do.

Our understanding of the vehicles core operationality is such that we can do pretty most anything and the only reason we are late to the party in respect of software development is because we spent most of last year sorting out some awesome new hardware on which our systems are based.

Adding the word awesome in that sentence is something i would typically regard as tacky and salesy and something i would not normally do, but given that our new FAULTMATE MSV-2 NANO packs a 300MHZ Pentium class PC in a cool electric blue aluminum extruded enclose about the size of a packet of cigarettes for 149 Euro and the EXTREME version is only longer as it also has a built in LCD display and keypad that allows it to be used as a stand alone fault code reader / clearer for just 54 Eurro more as well as being used as a PC to vehicle interface i can but hope you would agree with my justification.

Just so you see what i mean, here is a link to a video showing the EXTREME being used in stand alone mode.
http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/download...E_DIII.wmv
I hope you agree that the use of the word awesome was justified Laughing

Of course there is a lot more information on our web site at http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/ and a whole pile of videos and stuff on our downloads page .
But for anyone thinking of buying a system, please appreciate that our Disco 3 software is in it infancy, and like any software, when first introduced it can be buggy and in need of some tweaking. The good news is that for those who appreciate this, you should know that we have over 10 years history in developing software for Land Rovers, and our software is renowned for becoming the most feature rich and capable that there is bar none.
We are only a small company with limited resources but we very much love what we do and work very hard at it.
For anyone who is ever not happy, well they are always most welcome to have a refund. We really don't do this for the money, we love the cars and love tinkering with them and manage to make a living at the same time, living in the sunshine paradise of Cyprus, who could ask for more. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So following our early experiences and conversations on the forum, we have started some interesting and on going projects that when ready we are sure you will enjoy the fruits of, but we noted that a lot of members seemed to want control over the Electronic Air Suspension, and in particular the height. So last week we spent a couple of days poking around in the EAS system, and wrote some functions to control the various valves etc and adjust the stored height calibration values and thus the vehicle height.
Knowing you guys would probably love to see some of this in action i knocked up a short and crude video for you of the adjustment of the stored height values.

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/download...AS_CAL.wmv

We found that while it is obviously possible to adjust the vehicle height by altering the stored calibration values, that there is a limit to how far one can go. However by opening all 4 corner valves and the reservoir one as well as the 2 cross link valves for good measure, we could ultimately get the vehicle much higher. However we then found that the reservoir did not have enough capacity to get the vehicle from normal to as high as possible and the compressor does not automatically start to replenish the supply due to our need to keep the ECU in diagnostic mode, so we are going to need to add a run compressor option too. Should be done by tomorrow. It did better getting from off road height to as high as possible, but still i decided to wait till the Comp run feature is added before i do a video of it for you.

I hope you like the videos and that we have chosen to also pursue this particular direction of development.

Should anyone have any questions please feel free to ask, as i have stated, i am not here to commercially promote our system although i will openly and honestly discuss all and any aspects of it. Frankly we don't actually do sales. We don't have a single sales guy in our company, I am a techie through and through, we just try to provide what people want / need at the best price we can and let people know it exists if they ever need or want it. So i much prefer discussing producing what you feel you may want or need rather than trying to promote what we already have.
After all that what web sites are for innit Rolling with laughter

Warmest regards to all

Last edited by BBS SPY on 25th Feb 2009 8:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #42879325th Feb 2009 7:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Colin ..last link not working Sad
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #42879625th Feb 2009 7:29 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Also not from the website directly.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #42880025th Feb 2009 7:31 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Sorry guys, Bloody Linux servers being penickety, or perhaps that last glass blurred my vision Rolling with laughter
I edited and fixed the link from here, should work now, be great if you could confirm Bow down
tell me what you think.
Im'e so vain

Will fix our sites link in the morning

Post #42881925th Feb 2009 8:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

Working now Thumbs Up

Looks very cool ..im sure those boys down under will be wanting this
Post #42882225th Feb 2009 8:14 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Do you think you'll be able to provide a facility to raise and lower the height on the run, so as to avoid driving at speed in raised height except when the section of "road" requires it?

Post #42883125th Feb 2009 8:37 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Wiggs, BTW , you got mail !!!!
cheery stuff at that.

Yea GraemeS, our system allows to quickly load in saved pages and write their values to the ECU, so I have a below standard page saved, a standard page saved and a high as possible page saved. so i don't have to manually type in values to get the car to do what i want.

And lets face it a couple of inches more can be very important in certain situations but not so desirable in others.

So by dialling in a couple of extra inches before an off road excursion will certainly help any D3 in the rough,
Certainly would have made a difference to the outcome of the Santa challenge, am i too late to contribute, if so next year i swear we will help make a difference disco scorsece (STU) .
it's also possible for a RRS owner to hug the tarmac a bit more than by fitting low profile tyres too before going cruising.

We could of course make this more selectable and on the run accessible than having a Laptop PC connected, but then development of that sort of capability is down to development costs V desirability, but then as i said that's the entire point of our being here at all.

So to all members, we obviously have the knowledge and capability, how would YOU like to see us actually apply it?

Don't be shy, your input counts (for once)

Now is the time to actually stand up and say what you want, and be listened to by someone who CAN make a difference, don't waste it or miss it

Warmest regards

Post #42885625th Feb 2009 9:15 pm
Roel

I think it would be usefull to be able to change the speed at when the D3 lowers from Off-road to normal height. Or to be able to select off-road hight at any speed.
OK I don't need it at 160 km/hr but 40 km/hr is very low.
I think that will help a lot off members from down-under and africa too.
 Roel

1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Post #42887425th Feb 2009 9:30 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As Roel said the change of the max speed in off road height would be the best and simlest solution. Do you have the ability to change the speeed theshold?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 26th Feb 2009 1:18 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #42905126th Feb 2009 12:30 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Most benefit to me would be anything that makes access height even lower! Don't care if it clears as soon as I start the engine, let alone move - just want it for loading boats on the roof rack!

Martin

Post #42906126th Feb 2009 1:17 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Personally and I could be wrong Neutral but surely you should be a site sponsor, I'm recent myself but you are trying to drum up business via this forum. My thinking is either be serious and register as a sponsor selling something people want or Censored off old love Confused
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #42906326th Feb 2009 1:25 am
wiggs

Re: Air suspension Height calibration adjustment capability.

BBS SPY wrote:

At the time we did not have a commercial posting license as we do now, and so had to work hard to avoid unintentionally infringing those rules, sorry DG Embarassed

If you had bothered to read the post you would of noticed this ..or even below the user name it says "site sponser "

Whistle
Post #42906526th Feb 2009 1:33 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I apologise unreservedly, Wiggs, you are quite correct, I was sticking my nose in where it didn't belong.

Embarassed Embarassed , I will keep it where it does belong
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #42906826th Feb 2009 1:42 am
catweasel

Willy Eckerslike wrote:
I was sticking my nose in where it didn't belong.
you're not the first Whistle and wont be the last at least you had the interests of the site in mind Wink

I would like the unit to be able to run from or through a car pc and have the ability to log things onto a hard drive.

Post #42909726th Feb 2009 6:41 am
Roel

I think that is included. You can watch a lot off parameters off your car and save them in a movie or excell file according to Colin's website. But I think it will be a lot off data so you might need a big HD if you do a long drive.
Do you want to check how your wife or kids behave when driving the D3? Whistle
 Roel

1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Post #42911826th Feb 2009 8:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >