Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Air suspension Height calibration adjustment capability.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I know how it works Rolling Eyes I was asking if your way simply increased the air pressure. From your reply it does Thumbs Up

Now I'm not having a go but when you increase the air pressure to lift the vehicle you in turn make the suspension stiffer thereby loosing articulation, ergo off road ability.

I can see this lift being useful for travelling down tracks at speeds higher than the vehicle settings Thumbs Up But cant see it being any use in normal off road situations, as the standard car is capable of lifting itself when required.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #44021718th Mar 2009 11:59 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

AndrewS wrote:
Now I'm not having a go but when you increase the air pressure to lift the vehicle you in turn make the suspension stiffer thereby loosing articulation, ergo off road ability.

Surely if this method is used it will also increase wear on suspension components, ball joint, CV joints etc... not good when off road.

This has been an 'issue' when performing certain manoeuvres in extended mode or super extended mode with CV's going due to the increased pressure on the components.

Post #44034618th Mar 2009 3:43 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry Andrew,
You gotta appreciate that i spend a lot of my time on our forum explaining how stuff works, got in Auto pilot mode for a min.

Well we do both ways, i think we changed the sensor calibration height in our video, so really thats just adding a bit onto all heights, sort of falsifying the base line.

However we also give manual control of the valves with a lock / hold capability, so that you can open them and have the vehicle go to where you want and then have it stay there. obviously with this you can get full reservoir pressure to each corner and get it as high as it can physically go, but as you say, not much springiness there then

I guess that in off roading there are times when you need one thing more than another.
Interestingly because we can provide individual selection of valves, you can also use the EAS to alter the suspension to suit differing circumstances. Take that of your current avatar, with an extreme right hand front tilt down, if you raised the front right and lowered the other 3 the vehicles articulation angle would reduce considerably and you would gain more traction.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 18th Mar 2009 6:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44038918th Mar 2009 4:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

That's a very good point Simon.
Nice bit of thinking and worth some thought and consideration.
CV's will be articulated to a much higher degree and ball joints will move into new areas of use.
I considered that raising the car fully and then driving it would mean that the CV's would be working at a higher than normal angle of articulation. then i noted in the LRE001 workshop manual EAS section that when in the user selectable off road mode, on encountering a ground contact that the vehicle would automatically raise itself by i think it was 50mm, then in later software versions the driver could by some odd manipulation i forget, get the system to raise yet further by i think an inch.
I did not do the maths, but from seeing my D3 at as high as it gets, I think that this total is going to add up to as near as damn it the same, so i figure its not going to be a big issue as in past accepted limitations or anything.

Post #44042118th Mar 2009 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It can go into 'Giraffe' mode for short very periods in order to overcome an obstacle maybe ...but not for any extended periods of general use
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #44042718th Mar 2009 5:58 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

BBS SPY wrote:
Take that of your current avatar, with an extreme right hand front tilt down, if you raised the front right and lowered the other 3 the vehicles articulation angle would reduce considerably and you would gain more traction.

My Avartar Pic:- The vehicle did this on its own (trying to find a picture of the front (Found) the front OS wheel had disappeared into the Abyss, the rear OS wheel was trying to push its way up into the apex of the inner wheel arch see pic.

There could be an advantage in this circumstance to disengage the cross link function. This would fool the OS rear into lowering. As you can see from the Avatar pic the OS rear could be lower.

This pic shows the entry into the Abyss

Click image to enlarge

In the Abyss

Click image to enlarge
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #44046118th Mar 2009 7:03 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Andrew:
Wouldn't just selecting "high range" disable the cross-linking?

Colin:
As DG alluded to, the car can be made to go into an emergency profile (a lift of around 75mm above off-road height), but only for 45 seconds or so (I believe it is also speed-limited to 8kph). Exceeding this will bring the car back down to off-road height. So no, the drive-train is not designed to be run at those angles for any extended period. To answer your other question regarding the speed setting for off-road height, the D3's in Australia are programmed to signal a warning at 40kph and lower the car automatically at 50kph. I'd imagine the UK cars are similar - perhaps rounded off to the nearest imperial equivalent?

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #44076619th Mar 2009 8:34 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Andrew
Yea, we do also provide control over the cross links too.
The way we have done it so far is to allow independent selecting of any of the 8 valves, 4 corners, the front and rear cross links and the inlet and exhaust.

Then you can select to do one of 3 things to all selected valves, 1) Open them, 2) hold them at their current state, or 3) release control of them back to the ECU.

Of course the capability we provide with our MSV-2 is really just to allow testing of the functionality of the valves in aid to diagnosing problems.

Gordon.
Oh yea, i don't think anyone would be wise to drive any distance, go any faster than a crawl or heavily load the power on when at such heights. definately a proceed with the utmost care and caution only situation.
But the circumstances of use ie the definition of "ran at" or "extended period" are just Grey definitions. i was just looking to see if there was any degree of latitude at all, versus the CV would pop apart with so little as a single rotation. Big Cry

Your Aus spec for speeds & change heights sounds like the description in the LRE001.
sadly, i cant find anything like the hex for those values in the Memory, it could easily be controlled by the loaded software however, so i am going to have a poke around in that.

Post #44078719th Mar 2009 9:19 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BBS SPY wrote:
Your Aus spec for speeds & change heights sounds like the description in the LRE001.

If it helps Colin, this isn't an Aus spec - it's common (and equally annoying) on all D3s irrespective of market.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #44079619th Mar 2009 9:34 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Paul, just what i needed. Thumbs Up

Post #44084219th Mar 2009 10:45 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

From the WSM...

Off-Road Mode
Off-road mode will only be activated if the vehicle speed is less than 25 mph (40 km/h). The vehicle will be raised 55 mm (2.2 in) higher than the on-road mode to provide additional body clearance and improved approach, departure and breakover angles. If the vehicle speed exceeds 31 mph (50 km/h), the air suspension control module will automatically lower the vehicle to the on-road mode height. At 25 to 28 mph (40 to 45 km/h) a message is displayed in the message center to warn the driver to slow down or the vehicle will lower.

Post #44090719th Mar 2009 12:32 pm
jdhx

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Colin

Just how low will access height go? I have just bought my first D3 (HSE MY07) and it won't go into my garage because even in access height mode it is still an inch or so too high. Can the access height setting be made lower and if so by how much.

Is the suspension height setting mod facility available yet?

Alternatively how do I let all the air out?

Thanks

Post #47217926th May 2009 8:35 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

AFAIK In Access mode you are effectively touching the suspension bump cups ...it won't go any lower Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #47218526th May 2009 8:53 am
Ken

Let the tyres down

Post #47219026th May 2009 9:12 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You can get it lower but too low and you risk bottoming out and it will automatically go into extended mode. Shocked
Not exactly what you had in mind entering your garage, Laughing
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47219226th May 2009 9:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >