Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Help!!! I can't get into my boot!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Leon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can attach a line to the actuator while its working so if the cable or actuator fails you can open the boot by pulling it......was I dreaming cause I can't find it mentioned anywhere? I presume this would make a repair much easier if you can open the boot in the first instance.

Post #16363515th Apr 2016 3:34 pm
bsm

Belgium 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Yes I did, see my reply a few posts earlier in this topic.
I didn't have to use the emergency line but it feels good to know I can open the boot at any time, even from inside and without tools. Thumbs Up
 2017-...: Disco II Td5 auto, 1999, BAS remap, HD TC and auto box Ashcroft, Allisport IC, ACE, 2" lift only coils, BF goodrich KM2 265/70R17, FF front and rear bumper, TF steering guard and tree sliders, nanocom.
2013-2017: Disco 3 TDV6 HSE aut. of 2008, Britpart treesliders, IIDTool, RLD sump guard, BFG KM2 265/70R17, adj. rods, BAS remap + EGRs blanked, silicon IC hoses.
2010-2013: Disco II Td5 of 2000, ACE, front Bearmach HD coils, rear SLS, GG AT2

Post #16367986th Apr 2016 4:03 pm
Leon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks bsm- is their a guide anywhere on where to attach the "emergency cable "

Post #16368116th Apr 2016 4:17 pm
bsm

Belgium 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I don't think so, but it is clear where you have to attach the cable. Once you opened up the lower half of the tailgate you see the mechanism has to be pulled to the right side of the car.
 2017-...: Disco II Td5 auto, 1999, BAS remap, HD TC and auto box Ashcroft, Allisport IC, ACE, 2" lift only coils, BF goodrich KM2 265/70R17, FF front and rear bumper, TF steering guard and tree sliders, nanocom.
2013-2017: Disco 3 TDV6 HSE aut. of 2008, Britpart treesliders, IIDTool, RLD sump guard, BFG KM2 265/70R17, adj. rods, BAS remap + EGRs blanked, silicon IC hoses.
2010-2013: Disco II Td5 of 2000, ACE, front Bearmach HD coils, rear SLS, GG AT2

Post #16368166th Apr 2016 4:23 pm
Graemeelliott

Previously had the broken cable which was fixed in France last summer with a crimping set and seems to be holding up.

Switch was working intermittently then stopped completely. Pulled switch out and noticed the wires were damaged where they entered switch, both with bare copper showing. Remembered that the switch had fallen out a few times and I'd just shoved it back in.

Cut switch off. Thought if I touched wires together boot might open but no joy.

appears to be voltage in wires.

Switch seems to work with multimeter although I'm no expert with one

Boot opens when I push the two dash buttons at same time.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Post #163859510th Apr 2016 11:27 am
Graemeelliott

Managed to program key fob to open boot which makes things easier

Post #163860010th Apr 2016 11:43 am
Fiferal

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Tailgate not opening

Hi new to your site got a problem with the tail gate not working pressed buttons together as read on here but it’s like it’s only releasing one side makes noise etc open a small bit but it’s like the right hand side is catching

Post #190220716th Jan 2018 3:41 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The top tailgate is held by one central catch, you may hear it operating but the 'hook' end may be broken, have you read through this thread? Thumbs Up
Idea If its opening a small bit it must be catching, get someone to press both buttons as you pull it, as the catch may be working

Post #190221116th Jan 2018 3:57 pm
Fiferal

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi thanks for reply got wife to do buttons and I tugged on it didn’t work wasn’t wanting to do it to hard

Post #190221416th Jan 2018 4:10 pm
Rossie_C

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hey guys,

Suffering from no access to boot issue too.

Last weekend I managed to get everything open, managed to unscrew the 2 bolts that fix the actuator to the lower tailgate, but didn't disconnect electrics.

I closed up as I didn't have all the parts to do the fix broken wire issue then.

Today I went back to crack on and I’ve managed to get the top tail gate open again but lower is stuck. I don't hear an acuator when I press the square button.

No matter how hard I pull on cable behind the black plastic nothing happens.

Any ideas? Any help much appreciated. Need to get this sorted first then replace the top tailgate handle/switch too. 🙄🙄🙄🙄 Top tail gate won't close now so can't lock it.
 TDV6 GS
Automatic
Blanked EGR
V8 Brake Upgrade
Harming Sat Nav Mod
Beanie Grill
De-Tango 

Post #191317610th Feb 2018 5:01 pm
Lorrydodger

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 3
Tailgate release failure

I had the same happen to me yesterday, the tailgate would not open from the handle. By pressing the two buttons on the dash and getting my wife to pull the tailgate I could get it partly release but the right hand side was still locked. After removing the seal from the handle i could here the microswitch operating correctly. After much faffing about I plugged in my iid tool and reset all and bingo the tailgate worked again. Just now need to work out how to get the seal back on the handle. Mad

Post #195254610th Jun 2018 6:11 pm
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes I’d like to know that too!
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #195255610th Jun 2018 6:49 pm
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Re: CAN'T OPEN MY TAILGATE?

Olddiver wrote:
Hello. Went to open the tailgate after unlocking and......nothing. Tried dashboard button, still no entry. To shorten the story I bashed the number plate lamp housing and......bingo in I went. Pulled off the rubber cover to find the metal strip, which, when pressed, bends and presses on a micro switch was badly corroded. It's a really crappy design and I can't see that a repair would be succesful. I've photographed the offending part but don't know how to put the pictures on here.
I have a suggestion. If this is the problem with your tailgate and a replacement is the only option, cut and short out the two thin black wires attached to the switch thereby activating the unlocking system.
The replacement part is CXB000456PVJ, with the VAT was £65.38 and after removing the trim the exchange was really easy.
If someone can advise me how to get the pic's on here I'd be greartful[/i]

thanks for that thought I was stranded with no way of getting my mtb back in the boot. Bash the tailgate light and the boot release switch works again. Thank goodness for this forum!

Post #19593132nd Jul 2018 7:21 pm
Kwaka636

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Replaced the liftgate release cable today, but boot still wouldn't open, even though the cable 'hook' was cracked.

Went back to LR Sidcup for the actuator assembly which was the final fix.

A picture of the (knackered) actuator internals for any nerds out there!

Mike

Post #196423016th Jul 2018 9:57 pm
Dak-dak

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Tips - having done both the broken actuator and the microswi

Groverxv wrote:
The tips and pointers in this thread and others, are bang on and a couple of things I learnt while fixing the broken actuator cable-end in my D305 HSE - use wide flat paint scrapers to lever out the interior trim on the lower tailgate, and start in the middle of the passenger seat side. It was a little easier to pull a little of the carpert off which in turn exposes the hard plastic panel edges, and you can then lever the whole trim out. Use a couple of tennis balls to wedge the still-attached interior trim panel so you can reach in to the tailgate itself with your arm and hand. There is no alternative to cutting and therefore ruining the waterproof membrane that covers the access holes on the tailgate frame. The tailgate frame shape makes the arm and hand work a bit tricky and there are some sharp metal edges to be aware of too.

The plastic cover for the actuator box doesn't come off completely, but you can push it out of the way with your fingers, then reach in with long-nosed pliers and pull hard on the broken end of the cable, et voila - the top tailgate opens and you can fix the whole thing. Per several tips on here, I looped a length of bicycle brake cable through the actuator piston (you'll know it when you see it) and then clamped it hard using standard electrical connector block.

Good luck - it's about 2 hours work with a socket set, paint scrapers, screwdrivers and a crescent wrench.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I also had broken tailgate cable problem with it locked shut..... (very common - bad cable design) rather than destroy internal trim I found guy in Canada who had done ytube video where he drilled 20mm hole thru carpet/metal on inside to get access to pull lock open then trim can be easily removed/cable replaced. He gave exact measurements for hole. Repair to hole can be rubber grommet (it's likely to break again!) - I used one from electricians box for 13a back boxes.

Post #234499213th Aug 2023 6:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >