Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Next Discovery - Spy Shot Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 77 of 164 <123 ... 767778 ... 162163164>
J77

Scotland 

Land Rover have built a car around what customers have bought and how it's used. How many on here have bought HSE/Lux and now Landmark £50k cars, the biggest sellers. Most want soft leathers, touch screen sat navs and heated steering wheels, a far cry from the original Disco.

Land Rover haven't lost the plot, they are making money by adapting to the changing market. Adapt or die and LR would've died a long time ago if it weren't for the Evoque and the new design direction. LR said it themselves they needed money and that's what the RR range has done.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #166927118th Jun 2016 10:21 am
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

True Russell looks are a very personal however reading comments here i think LR have missed a trick here with the design.
The front end is so similar to other models it just blends in and by the time it gets released to the public I fear will look a bit dated Confused
I'm sure the looks will grow on us and I'm sure they will sell shed loads but the D3 when released was different and ground breaking and has stood the test of time.
With a likely price increase this new one needs to be very special.

Post #166928018th Jun 2016 10:38 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
J77

but it shouldn't be at the expense of abandoning their existing customers...
....plush leather, heated steering wheels, bling & toys are far removed from vehicle capability & capacity.

....the whole idea is (or should be) to have a differentiated range with vehicle that cater for all who want them....with a differentiated range of prices.

If they are all premium, top of the range, out of the capabilities of a section of the buying public you leave some of the buying public behind.
J77 I suspect you have a Disco 3/4 & not a FFRR...I will surmise this is because the Disco represented a capable capacious vehicle at a cost you could afford...which explains the situation perfectly.

Jaguar have got it just right with the F-Pace specification & pricing...also with the XE

I agree with "adapt or die" as a theory - but the vacuum of not having an affordable Discovery as opposed to a high spec, less than capable in comparison to what we have right now...means other makers will fill that gap.

Have a real good look at other makers ranges...VW/AUDI...BMW...MERC....Toyota....KIA
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #166928118th Jun 2016 10:38 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

In a years time we will all be saying how it's grown on us ...then how it's actually a good motor....oh hang on how it's actually a fantastic motor. Very Happy

Why because history tells us thats what we will do Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #166928418th Jun 2016 10:43 am
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Bang on DG, for me this always happens with new car generations I always pull a face but know full well ill end up with one and loving it Thumbs Up
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #166928918th Jun 2016 10:58 am
J77

Scotland 

Yes I have a D4, it does everything I ask of it and no doubt the D5 will do what I ask of it.

I've said all along that it's price will be the main factor for me. I ain't paying Range Rover money for a Discovery, I will be happy with an entry level car as per my current one. So yes in that sense I've been abandoned, assuming the prices are going to be through the roof, but I accept that most are willing to pay the over inflated prices for a car that looks like it's just came of the boat from Japan.

We can't blame LR for making money, it's the name of the game.
Post #166929118th Jun 2016 11:05 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
In a years time we will all be saying how it's grown on us ...then how it's actually a good motor....oh hang on how it's actually a fantastic motor. Very Happy

That's because the people who like it remain and are available to comment, while the rest move on and they stop commenting; a self selecting sample is never representative!
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: 2 x FL2 as “second” cars 🙄

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #166929418th Jun 2016 11:10 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DG wrote:

If only that were reasonable. Unfortunately, while the sentiment seems logical, there are two big issues with it. Firstly, that every time the car changes, it moves into a different position on the scale - between practicality/utility and luxury/performance, if you like - and secondly, because never before has the true intention of the vehicle changed so much.

It is over simplifying to assume that every change of a vehicle works the same way when things are clearly different. The only real history to look at is the D2 to D3 change; a scenario where many people complained that it looked like a van. It's also now lost its wheel arch trims, chunky bumpers and practical upright shape. No doubt it is a lot lighter too. We may be looking at a return to coil springs from air as standard. We may be looking at a reduction in engine displacement for some models. None of these things have happened before.

Let's be realistic about what history really does tell us because in many ways we are stepping into new territory here. I have every reason to believe it is a great vehicle at it's core, and I'm sure it will be, but whether it will be suited to many of us as a direct replacement for the D3/4 is another matter. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #166929818th Jun 2016 11:18 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I disagree because people enjoy saying how crap they think something is and history eventually says otherwise ...because there were plenty of D2 owners who hated the D3 and yet went on to convert with permagrin abound
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #166929918th Jun 2016 11:21 am
Lost for Words

Re: J77

BLFarrar wrote:
but it shouldn't be at the expense of abandoning their existing customers...
....plush leather, heated steering wheels, bling & toys are far removed from vehicle capability & capacity.

....the whole idea is (or should be) to have a differentiated range with vehicle that cater for all who want them....with a differentiated range of prices.

If they are all premium, top of the range, out of the capabilities of a section of the buying public you leave some of the buying public behind.
J77 I suspect you have a Disco 3/4 & not a FFRR...I will surmise this is because the Disco represented a capable capacious vehicle at a cost you could afford...which explains the situation perfectly.

Jaguar have got it just right with the F-Pace specification & pricing...also with the XE

I agree with "adapt or die" as a theory - but the vacuum of not having an affordable Discovery as opposed to a high spec, less than capable in comparison to what we have right now...means other makers will fill that gap.

Have a real good look at other makers ranges...VW/AUDI...BMW...MERC....Toyota....KIA

I quite agree. I think that LR are being somewhat disingenious - they should be able to produce a vehicle that meets the growing market without losing the core utility end. It's the universal appeal that make the D3/4 so special - because it is every bit an alternative to both a white van and a Range Rover. This is LR's competitive advantage, and they are pretty much throwing it away. It's not clever to put all your eggs in one basket, and LR shouldn't have to. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #166930318th Jun 2016 11:28 am
Lost for Words

DG wrote:
I disagree because people enjoy saying how crap they think something is and history eventually says otherwise ...because there were plenty of D2 owners who hated the D3 and yet went on to convert with permagrin abound

Yeah, but we aren't all saying how crap it is are we? We're just saying that the target market has changed and it's not for us any more. Thumbs Up

Post #166930418th Jun 2016 11:29 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'm generalising for the purpose rather than dissecting and examining every word like some Wink
Post #166930518th Jun 2016 11:32 am
Lost for Words

You can't generalise though, because it's two different things. It is one thing to say you don't like something, it's another to say that it isn't suited to your purpose. A great deal of us are saying the latter, and we are unlikely to be about saying how perfect it is in the future as you assert.

Post #166930918th Jun 2016 11:40 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
DG

I agree sort of..
D2 to D3 step change....a beneficial one
we just hope the
D3/4 to D5 step change that is beneficial ...... a quality vehicle with multi use capabilities at an affordable price.....to a vehicle dreamt up by marketing thats built to attract more customers - forgetting its existing "market makers" (i.e. "us")

....from the shots we have seen one attribute - shape that dictates the inside cargo capacity may have been sacrificed.

OK....Im not a total luddite standing in the way of progress - LandRover have to make & sell vehicles.....but just hope the multi use attributes that we all have to use right now arent altered detrimentally or left out.

The cosmetics / aesthetics of how it looks are in some sense a "fashion / taste" thing that are in the eyes of the beholder....very subjective
....but the "capabilities aspect....will it do the job" arent they are factual

Huge difference that me at least wonders about...."whatever will be will be" means I may be keeping my D3 for a heck of a long time....alongside many other I think & it won't just be the affordability it will be the prospect of what you are buying, owning & keeping on the road is the multi use vehicle we all enjoy

Jaguar the other side of the brand are smart in that they have logically filled the voids left by vehicles being dated & manufacture halted with brand new ones at affordable prices.
S type to XF...now 2nd generation, said to be the saviour of Jaguar.
X type to XE...affordable a vehicle that will provide the volume market..it has a Jaguar engine & dissent share a platform..Jaguar listened & learnt (the hard way)
F type - taps into the market for a premium sports car alongside the XK for a time...the eventual XK replacement will mean they have a two stream offering as regards 2 seat sports cars (as other makers have..BMW, Merc, Maserati, Porsche)
XJ to XJ - logical evolution

In comparison...the LandRover Range was differentiated but isn't right now
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #166931218th Jun 2016 11:48 am
J77

Scotland 

Russell wrote:
dantheman wrote:
MHP wrote:
Well away in Mexico at the moment and have met a chap who is involved heavily in building the D5 and it's bloody stunning!

The build date he has given us is the same as i got 6 months ago. Building should start in mid May to early June of 2016.

Preproduction cars in camo have been about for a while but will become more obvious in the next months or two Thumbs Up

Mark

Unfortunately Mark it would seem the guy you spoke too should have gone to specsavers Shocked "Stunning" is not a word that can describe the pictures we are seeing and he is abit out on the timings as well Whistle

Shame really as it could have been a ground breaking design again. Big Cry

Think that is down to the individual view, I like it from what you can see so far. One thing I do not like is the stupid black wheel arch trims. Do not like them on the DS either.
As for build dates, not so sure as he is that far out. Looking at the latest picture it would appear that may be they have run a few down a line already as the latest picture looks very close to the finished article to me, and if they had not had the issues on the production line with panel gaps then it may well have been in full production by now.

Quite possible that a few have been built, they done this with the DS and sent them on a tour of the dealerships, shopping centres etc
Post #166931318th Jun 2016 11:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 77 of 164 <123 ... 767778 ... 162163164>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >