Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Next Discovery - Spy Shot Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 44 of 164 <123 ... 434445 ... 162163164>
Florafauna

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Absolutely, the LR version definitely looks better IMHO, but the basic shape is pretty similar. I assume that this design language was developed for the D5 when Ford owned LR?

Of course, the engines and 4x4 tech etc will make the D5 quite different to the Explorer but I wonder if Ford will bring it to the UK when the D5 comes out - or is there an agreement not to I wonder?

CM.
 MegaSTUPID BREXIT
D4 XS MY12 Orkney Grey - nice!
996 turbo cab - a dream come true
VXR220 - Epic Track Car
D2 - V8 - Agricultural bankruptcy but what fun! - Long gone but missed 

Post #155209227th Oct 2015 11:02 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Who gives a Censored about Ford ..they failed where TATA succeeded Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #155209427th Oct 2015 11:07 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Well said that man
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #155215228th Oct 2015 9:45 am
Florafauna

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Lol.

Maybe the Ford Explorer is a better car than the new D5? Shocked

Or rather is it more true to the utilitarian roots of the original Disco rather than the iphone based remote driving Xbox game playing transparent bonnet Chelsea tractor that the D5 may possibly be becoming?

If I cant get a whole flat pack kitchen and a tonne of gravel in the car without ripping the soft as babys bottom unicorn leather, its not the car for me and I'll be hoping for good things with the new Defender. Big Cry

Hopefully that will stimulate some debate! Mr. Green
 MegaSTUPID BREXIT
D4 XS MY12 Orkney Grey - nice!
996 turbo cab - a dream come true
VXR220 - Epic Track Car
D2 - V8 - Agricultural bankruptcy but what fun! - Long gone but missed 

Post #155217328th Oct 2015 11:07 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Where's the "like" button? Well said ff.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #155217528th Oct 2015 11:10 am
A1GSS

England 

Thumbs Up
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #155217928th Oct 2015 11:20 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Fair point maybe but the yawn factor is that D2 owners had the same fears and pre-release criticisms about the D3 when that was under spy shot wraps.

I'm sure it will be excellent ...my biggest concern is that price point will drive many to the new defender regardless of how good the D5 may be ...I'm reading £49k will be the starting point which mean that we could be looking at £65k for a HSE. It would have to be absolutely exceptional for me to consider that.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #155218228th Oct 2015 11:32 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It's no different an evolution in the Discovery model than it was in the RR when it was first brought out:

A nice 4 x 4 that you could throw varous stuff in including dirty smelly things and you could quite happily give it a wash out and then turn up to a nice 'do' and it would do both things. It's now moved so far upmarket compared to where it started that most owners wouldn't dream of even putting a bag of rubbish destined for the tip in it, in case a whiff of something escapes into the 5* interior Laughing
Point is that LR are in business to make money and it appears that their target market likes what they are doing so fair play to them Thumbs Up

I for one counted myself out of ever buying a new Discovery when the '4' came out as it ceased to suit my needs as a vehicle, not a critisism just a result of the evolution of the brand and what is expected of it.

As with others I await the dawn of the new Defender if it ever actually materialises; if not then who knows....
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #155218428th Oct 2015 11:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Geoff at Drym

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm with you on this ff. I'm pressing the 'like' button to your post along with 'DoSh'. The D5 is becoming the same as all the other modernistic design SUVs. Bland, non distinguishable sameness Chelsea Tractor. And what's with the Discovery Sport? It's a flipping Freelander. So why not call it a Freelander Sport? Also the new front grill on the Disco is also a Freelander. Yuk!!
I think my D3 is going to have to last a long time. Maybe it's because I'm a boring old f..t but I can't get excited over so called modern design. I even think the original Range Rover still looks the part Laughing
 2007 Disco3 2.7 tdv6 SE
gvif with reversing camera
V8 brakes with new EPB module and shoes
Later D4 grille
Alive tuning remap
Mazda MX5
Ferguson ted20 tractor
Hyundai Getz 1.4 (wife's ) 

Post #155218528th Oct 2015 11:42 am
Geoff at Drym

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry! I meant NoDoSh Whistle
 2007 Disco3 2.7 tdv6 SE
gvif with reversing camera
V8 brakes with new EPB module and shoes
Later D4 grille
Alive tuning remap
Mazda MX5
Ferguson ted20 tractor
Hyundai Getz 1.4 (wife's ) 

Post #155218728th Oct 2015 11:48 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My current thought is where's the innovation, the unique LR character?

This seems a bit of a jellymould design, too similar to Hyundai/Kia.

The Discoverys up to D4 cannot be confused with anything else, is this getting a bit generic? Confused
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #155218928th Oct 2015 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
Fair point maybe but the yawn factor is that D2 owners had the same fears and pre-release criticisms about the D3 when that was under spy shot wraps.

The D3 still retained a functional, chunky shape, however; it was different, but still purposeful. The D3 is heavier than the D2, yet there is little doubt that the D5 will be built on the same kind of aluminium monocoque design as the current Rangies, and will be made considerably lighter to improve fuel economy etc., which can only serve a considerable blow to towing stability, and likely off-road strength. I don't see that this was ever an evidential concern when the D3 was brought out.

I do believe that LR will loose out in the end by narrowing their range - it's working in the short term, but they can't go on forever. The D5 is looking likely to be further upmarket, lighter, faster, less chunky in design etc. and all that only pushes it into the RRS/FFRR market. It's far from the first time LR undertook a similar move - when they brought out the D3, and then the RRS, the FFRR can only have taken a knock until the TDV8 and 6-speed box found its way there.

The move from the D3 to D4 did not change the practical core vehicle shell underneath, and so many will have accepted the price increase to "upgrade" knowing that they could get an improved version of their current car; make a completely different model and people start to think a bit more, and such a decision is not so easily made. If I had the funds, I would buy a D4 with barely a second's thought, but any other vehicle would take a lot more consideration.

All cars now seem to be generic in oddity. They are all designed to look "different" (read as "strange" through to "ugly"), so the car that stands out would look more plain and simple in design. The car market seems to have gone almost immature in a kind of jump-at-anything-because-the-salesman-tells-you-it's-great way. I've said before, all anyone cares about is "Sat nav, bluetooth and alloy wheels", while any technical aspects get branded as simply "It's modern, efficient/green and 'high tech' ". Yawn Rolling Eyes

"Innovational" Yeah, whatever you say.

"The future of driving" Censored off.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #155219728th Oct 2015 12:29 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Legislation across many areas in production and use are driving the change to what we are seeing e.g ped safety, emissions ...all these things come with a price on previous practicalities and conventions

....and we should not forget that we are getting on in years ...we are the past I mean come on look how many old fogeys we seem to have on the site now 80% of the way through their lives and whinging like Censored about how good it used to be Laughing ...most of us here are not the future for LR ...sorry to tell you chaps Very Happy
Post #155222228th Oct 2015 1:22 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

The future of LR lies with the yummy mummy set. Sadly I don't get that opportunity. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #155222428th Oct 2015 1:25 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
Legislation across many areas in production and use are driving the change to what we are seeing e.g ped safety, emissions ...all these things come with a price on previous practicalities and conventions

That may well be, but said practicalities are either required or not. One couldn't just round-off all the corners of a Ford Transit, and then not expect builders to complain that they can no longer get their plywood in.

Quote:
....and we should not forget that we are getting on in years ...we are the past I mean come on look how many old fogeys we seem to have on the site now 80% of the way through their lives and whinging like Censored about how good it used to be Laughing ...most of us here are not the future for LR ...sorry to tell you chaps Very Happy

Well here you go then...I'm speaking now as a 20 year-old (NB: It's not always me here). I think, therefore, that gives me every reason to pass judgement on LR's new vehicles. I happen to be kind of unusual for my age and, times, ways, tastes and values have already moved on beyond those of my own. I've never had any real sense of "fashion" or "coolness" etc. so I take things at face value for exactly what they are. Cars always get criticised for being "dated", but the more you try to make something look modern, the faster it ages.

Look at how the D3/4s are used - a practical, load-carrying vehicle; a safe, family 7-seater; perhaps the best tow car ever made; a comfortable, long-distance cruiser; an accomplished off-roader; and it's still at home as an up-market luxury vehicle, but I put it to anyone, that while many may use it for only one of those reasons, not one person bought it for only one of those reasons. To succeed in a large line up of vehicles, a car needs to stay within it's original limits; for the Discovery, that means a wide range of abilities. The narrow mindedness of what any one vehicle can achieve is the exact opposite of the mindset they must have had when they designed the D3.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #155224128th Oct 2015 2:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 44 of 164 <123 ... 434445 ... 162163164>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >