Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

They can fix door catches more easily Whistle

Am I right ?
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #33386118th Aug 2008 9:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

They're small all over? Wink

Post #33393519th Aug 2008 6:25 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

It happened to me to!

Mid June, Keep River NP. Tailgate wouldn't open. D3 fitted with cargo barrier, drawer system and fridge so no access to tools, clothes, food. No phone reception.

Drove 200 k to Timber Creek for phone reception. Rang LR assist. Road service contractor in Katherine asked: 'I don't mean to be rude but why are you ringing me?'

Wouldn't let him near the D3 so drove 800 k to Darwin - arrived at LR dealer 7.30am on Monday morning. Took them 3 days to cut holes in cargo barrier to access securing bolts, remove barrier, slide drawers forward, cut hole in trim of lower door to get to locking mechanism and open tailgate. Found that the cable attached to the locking mechanism for the upper tailgate had snapped at the swage.

Lucky we have NRMA traveller cover (took out as I wasn't sure about LR assist) as they provided a hire car for the 3 days and paid the van park fees for the 5 nights!!!!!

There was a 12 day wait for replacement parts so the dealer attached string to lock so we could open tailgate from inside. Spent the time in Kakadu and Litchfield.

Back to Darwin and the parts were installed in a day. All parts and dealer costs were covered under warranty.

You just have to sway with the punches or get really p***d off!

We were away for 16 weeks and covered 19678 kilometers (16378 towing the off-road camper) over a variety of terrain - Simpson Desert (east to west in mid April), Tanami track, Bungle Bungles, Cape Leveque, Gibb River Road, Mitchell Falls (early June), Keep River NP, Detour to Darwin (Kakadu and Litchfield), Savanna Way (Roper Bar, Borroloola, Kingfisher Camp, Lawn Hill, Burketown) then across to Townsville (end of July) and down the coast to home near Gosford.

EPB: a total disgrace as doesn't like SAND, DUST, WATER or MUD. Had to get it cleaned and adjusted in Alice Springs as it was screeching and grabbing (7 day wait for booking at dealer, also got unscheduled service done due to extreme condition of Simpson sand). 2000k later it was Censored again so went without until Darwin where it was cleaned and adjusted whilst getting tailgate fixed (also got another service done)

Cooper ST Tyres: Staked a tyre crossing the Simpson. Replaced in Alice Springs in 30 minutes. All tyres badly chipped. Rear on drivers side (new in Alice) has ripped off lug exposing bead. Will talk to Cooper agent as I am disappointed with wear.

Tyre pressures down to 12psi (rear) and 10psi (front) crossing the Simpson. Loaded on tarmac 44psi and 36psi. Dirt 36psi and 32psi. Rocks and corrugations as low as 30psi and 25psi.

Pity STC not available in same size!

Starter Motor: On way home detoured to Noosa to visit friend. On Sunday afternoon the starter motor died. On Monday morning the RACQ flattopped the D3 to dealer at Maroochydore who replaced the starter motor under warranty. We were lucky we were that close as it turned out the starter had been slowly failing for several weeks.

Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch: I received an early production unit just before we left. Installed it myself. It is brilliant!!

Overall: the D3 is a great vehicle compromised by some poor design (EPB, Off-road height lowers at 50 kph, ....) poor quality of some components (Tailgate cable, Starter Motor, and ???) and poor dealer coverage!
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #33618225th Aug 2008 1:11 pm
Nat

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Our tailgate has broken!

Glad I have joined this fourm, new it would come in handy - we have now go our ipod working in the d3 thanks to you lot but now we have a big prob!!!

Our D3 is 2 months out of warrenty, and yesterday the tailgate wouldn't open - is this a big problem with the d3's as the car is booked into Solihul LR and they are going to look at it for us, but if it is a recall then they will do it under an extended warrenty, is this a recall item?

Nat

Post #3560726th Oct 2008 9:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't think its a specific recall or repair. However I don't think its a major job. If you have been good to your dealer and used them enough (or put enough money there way in the past), they may be good to you. Fingers crossed. You must credit them on here if they do give you the benefit. Thumbs Up

Post #3560866th Oct 2008 9:11 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

ianv wrote:
Sorry you are having a tough time.

1. You will need to pull cable at both ends of the door to get both the latchs to retract, it may help to have some one outside apply light pressure so the latches move easily.

2. Then you should ba able to push the door outward.

3. you may find enouch space to slide some flat plastic into the latches from inside the car to help them release and not reangage whe you let tension of the cables.

Tell us how you go.

rgds

Ianv

Doesn´t this refer to the lower tailgate?? Original poster was talking about the top tailgate Embarassed
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3560916th Oct 2008 9:16 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Does it release by pressing both the lock & unlock buttons for >2 sec. on the centre dash console? if so, it's likely that only the tailgate switch needs replacing

Post #3561526th Oct 2008 10:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nat

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
jdea wrote:
Sounds similar to what happen to me. Just gotta figure out how to get the cover off Smile

Easy once you have done a few. I use a screwdriver to gently prise up the plastic trim, and with a trim clip tool (or another screwdriver) ease the trim out. Then you can release the cable from there. Its a pretty tight fit though Thumbs Up

Hi - What trim are you talking about and where is it located.

Thanks

Post #3562997th Oct 2008 10:45 am
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Try this...
you may need a screwdriver to start the process off
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=13978

Post #3564897th Oct 2008 8:31 pm
Nat

Boo Hoo

£300 plus the vat from the main dealer - It needed a new catch and the panel which they broke to get to the catch Evil or Very Mad

Oh well, 2 months out of warranty and look what happens, I think I will buy additional cover now.

Post #3568928th Oct 2008 4:51 pm
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think this tail gate issue is now beyond a joke! Now it's a warning!
If you have an earlier model Disco 05-06, it would be wise to replace the liftgate latch cable clip
It is not worth the pain........and the cost. It is much easier when you can open the tail gate

JD

Post #3572829th Oct 2008 11:46 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Maybe someone should do a poll to assess how widespread the issue really is ? Idea
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #3572839th Oct 2008 11:56 am
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

jdea wrote:
I think this tail gate issue is now beyond a joke! Now it's a warning!
If you have an earlier model Disco 05-06, it would be wise to replace the liftgate latch cable clip
It is not worth the pain........and the cost. It is much easier when you can open the tail gate

JD

Yup -I'd strongly recommend it as a preventative measure. I'm fed up with folk saying, "What have you done to the back of your hand?"
 Richard  
Post #3573189th Oct 2008 1:17 pm
amma126boxer

England 2006 LR3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I had the same fault with the tail gate not opening. Went to the LR garage told them that the tail gate will open if I push the two unlock/lock buttons on the dash for two seconds. They told me it was the latch button u/s cost £45.00 took 20 minutes to fit. Every things good now Thumbs Up Very Happy

Post #5029272nd Aug 2009 3:15 pm
mtm

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I had this happen to my '06 LR3 a year ago. The dealer used the procedure outlined on this forum - from the inside, pry the trim on the lower tailgate (they left some screwdriver marks on it) to get access to the cable/latch.

Interestingly, last week, when picking up my car from service there, I saw a tech struggling with another LR3 with the frozen tailgate. This time he managed to open it from outside by sticking a screwdriver under the upper tailgate and wiggling it (I assume he was trying to actuate the latch) while pushing and pulling on the upper tailgate. It opened after a few tries. So maybe there's a new method for dealing with this, using some kind of a bent screwdriver from the outside.

Post #5034273rd Aug 2009 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >