Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It only failed because its british Whistle

Post #45211910th Apr 2009 11:05 am
airhog

United Kingdom 

Well it may not be because its British....... but it is goosed.

Have heard back from LRCC. They have washed their hands of it, not prepared to make any 'goodwill' contribution to the £6501 quote to fix it. I am as you can imagine more than a little disappointed about this. I accept that it maybe just one of those things.... but as they will be making a profit on the parts and labour, I would of thought even offering 10% towards the repair would of been good customer relations?

The reality is that I will get it moved to a good indie and have them do the job for much less. The car will never go near a main dealer again and the way I feel at the moment, they will never sell another one to me.

I have been a fan of the brand for years, have owned a Defender for several years before and have otherwise been very happy with the D3. This response leaves a really bitter taste in my mouth and makes it hard to be a supporter of LR and their products.

Rant over, do yourselves a favour and get a warranty if you don't have one. At least I know why their warranty is so expensive!

Cheers

Post #45489716th Apr 2009 8:19 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear that, but rather than just accept they won't help I would fight them for a contribution. There are various laws on your side even outside the warranty period and only being 3 months outside of the warranty is even more reason to push for assistance. It is outrageous they won't help as it has a full service history.

I can't remember the exact detail, but for major components I think a car has a limit of 6 years. It would be worth asking a professional legal person about it.

I would also consider Yeovil for the engine swap, they are very good and they will also offer you a deal. You will also have more ammunition against Land Rover if a dealer does the work.

Good luck.

Post #45489816th Apr 2009 8:25 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

Consult trading standards, Sale of Goods Act gives protection up to 6yrs and will take into account the mileage, age and "reasonableness" of the failure and the fact it is a premium vehicle. You won't get full repair cost I wouldn't think but a contribution will probably be forced out of them.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #45489916th Apr 2009 8:25 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

No chance the vehicle has been mis-fuelled at any point in its life? That can lead to the fuel pump disintergrating many thousands of miles after the event, with bits entering the engine with obvious consequences. In such circumstances you'd not be covered even if in warranty.

Worth getting Yeovil Land Rover to price it up fully for you. Might lighten the load somewhat, and you will get a warranty on the engine.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #45490016th Apr 2009 8:27 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think Nick aalready gave an unofficial estimate of about 4.5k so there's a 2k saving already
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #45491116th Apr 2009 9:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
airhog

United Kingdom 

Morning again

Thanks for the support. Will get in touch with TLO, will have to check with him, but i'm assuming £4.5 is plus the VAT. Biggest problem is that while I hear from everyone that they are indeed the best around, they are the other side of the country......... Not ideal when it's stuck in Kent. Will look into it though.

Regarding misfueling, I have no idea. Nothing to suggest it has been and I have done just under 10k in it with no problems? All said I would like to know what has caused it, if nothing else to get a bit of closure.

Cheers

Post #45491516th Apr 2009 9:20 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Try Character on here he runs a car moving company. May cost a couple of hundred, but the savings from TLO and the service make up for it.

Post #45491616th Apr 2009 9:24 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Only way to be sure will be to commission an independent engineer's report. Not cheap, but if it shows a manufacturing fault you've got something to take to court if LR don't back down in light of that evidence. Of course it could equally show bits of the fuel pump scattered throughout the engine in which case....

A quick and easy check is to see if the fuel pump is fully functioning and test the injectors (which any half decent LR tech can do). If they are all ok, it would suggest the failure is not down to misfuelling during the vehicle's life.

Out of interest, where and when did you buy it?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #45491816th Apr 2009 9:26 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm sure that Character would do you a good deal on transporting your D3 to Yeovil, he seems to move ferraris and Aston's around easily enough, so I'm sure he could be trusted Smile

I travel from Shropshire to Yeovil for servicing with Nick & his merry men, good reliable work is worth the travel Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #45491916th Apr 2009 9:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I was gonna suggest Mathew too, aka CHARACTER. He will move it to Yeovil for you, and I know he is in Kent this weekend/Saturday dropping off a Lambo.

Jason

Post #45492216th Apr 2009 9:29 am
Ken

Just remember that a D3 is heavy compared to his normal loads but I'm sure he'll quote you happy Rolling with laughter

Post #45492616th Apr 2009 9:35 am
airhog

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the replies Thumbs Up

Have argued until i've got bored with LRCC. Not budging at all, there is just no 'goodwill' there. Have had the car recovered to a local guy who is going to do the transplant.........I will update when it's done.

To add salt to the wound, I wrote our other car this morning hitting a deer, not a great car month in the 'hog household!

Hopefully we will both enjoy the car as much as we did before when we get it back. The shame for LR is my wife is so in love with it, that she has told all her 'yummy mummy' friends how they must get one. A couple have had test drives and were about to buy RRS and D3's. Needless to say they now won't be, going German instead I guess......

Just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, oh and a load of fur in my bumper or what's left of it and the rest of the car...

Cheers

Post #45829723rd Apr 2009 10:59 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

yeah, German cars never fail Rolling with laughter Rolling Eyes Yawn

Try buying new and knowing the history next time
Post #45831424th Apr 2009 12:45 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

German Cars yes they do have there problems and faults, it's the owners who don't shout about it because they have told friends and acquaintances how good they are before theirs goes wrong

Took great delight recovering the tech directors broken down BMW with my battered 300tdi a few years ago at a company I was working for and also know other people with german vehicles who have struggled to get major faults repaired
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #45836624th Apr 2009 8:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >