Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

No Oil Pressure.... Engine Goosed??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Budweiser

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A sad and expensive story Crying or Very sad I would seek legal advice - but it's a matter for you Thumbs Up Did you ever find out what caused the problem?

Best wishes.

Post #45839324th Apr 2009 9:34 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As budweiser says, a sad story indeed. The saddest bit is that you've given up hassling LRCS; what reason are they giving for their refusal to contribute? Hassling them (politely!) is almost free and yet may gain large returns.
The only reason I can think of that they wouldn't want to contribute is if the service work wasn't all carried out by LR Franchised dealers; did you have full LR servicing history?

Also, it might be useful if we knew exactly what had failed in the engine. Mis-fueling has been mentioned, but unless I'm being thick although I can see this stopping it running due to (expensive!) pump/injection failure, it wouldn't lead to shrapnel in the oil sump would it? Isn't the high pressure pump lubricated with diesel and not engine oil?
I'd have thought that to get shrapnel in the oil pan there had to be an "unreasonable" component failure (given the mileage) or there was an issue with the grade of engine oil/filter used during the last service.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #45848024th Apr 2009 12:58 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Misfuelling could lead to bore wear, injector wear, pump wear, all of which could introduce metal into the cylinder. That in turn could lead to the engine reaching a point where a more catastrophic failure occurs, which would give you the shards in the sump.

The OP seems to be almost happy to snort with disgust and flounce off to buy a "reliable" german car. I hope the advertising exec who came up with that is living a comfortable retirement on the proceeds.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #45848424th Apr 2009 1:12 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Your mad to give up on getting some help with the repairs. You should push as there are laws to help consumers.

If you look on this forum, their haven't been many engine failures so it has nothing to do with being English. All cars have their problems. The BMW528 previous series had known problems in all the engines which was hushed up but they were failing all the time. My brother had one and had to have it tested to make sure it wouldn't fail, but he had to pay for it. His Merc coupe 3.2 has known problems with the oil cooler which can toast the engine as water mixes with coolant so had to have a new radiator which you have to pay for outside of the 3 year warranty.

Keep your Land Rover, you were unlucky. By taking it to an independent you did reduce your chances of any help and Yeovil would have done you a good deal.

Post #45850424th Apr 2009 1:31 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks ND$, education gratefully received Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #45850824th Apr 2009 1:38 pm
DefenderKen

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

i'm with nodosh and countrywide etc on this one. Buy new or buyer beware. Likely misfuel at some point in life.

Disappointed that OP continued LR bashing after he seemed to have taken note of my early comment.

Leave him to the german forums, I'm bored of him now - lifes too short.

Off greenlaning in the Northumberland hills in mine tomorrow, guess I won't see too many X5's there. Ha ha though at least they will have engines. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
 57 Discovery SE / 58 VW Passatt Highline Tdi 140 / 06 Kawasaki ZX6-R

Retired: Defender 90 300tdi / Defender 110 TDi / Defender 90 Tdci 

Post #45860424th Apr 2009 6:34 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked mock in jest defenderken, it can happen to any of us at any time.

Post #45861224th Apr 2009 6:41 pm
DefenderKen

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

true but I won't blame BRITISH.

its taken me 4 pages to labour this point - bare in mind i had an absolute pile of crap Defender TDCi before the glorious D so I'm not just a LR fanboy.

Bit of a nationalist though ha ha.

Where you from again? only joking, i've got a caravan in Scotland does that makes me half jock?
 57 Discovery SE / 58 VW Passatt Highline Tdi 140 / 06 Kawasaki ZX6-R

Retired: Defender 90 300tdi / Defender 110 TDi / Defender 90 Tdci 

Post #45861324th Apr 2009 6:44 pm
airhog

United Kingdom 

Gents

Thanks for the responces. With perhaps the exception of nodosh Rolling Eyes To be honest, I agree that 'buyer beware' and this is a bit of bad luck. I wasn't in the position to buy a new one at £40k, even if I could, I would still probably have a £3.5k repair bill than the first 2 and a half years depreciation! Each to their own I suppose. 'Try buying new and knowing the history' is not really a very helpful comment, but i'm sure you would of said that to my face, not just on an an anonymous 'enthusiasts' internet forum Confused

For the record, i'm not mad/daft enough to really suggest it's only because it's british and not german..... I did mention that before.

What upsets me is the way I have been treated as a customer. I can only draw on personal experience in dealing with BMW historically. 'Goodwill' seems to be the way they operate? Yes the car had it's second service outside the LR dealer network, maybe this qualifies me out? Although it had been serviced by LR 94 days before the failure.

What is true is that it takes a long time to build a customer relation, moments to ruin it. My comments about the lost revenue, is quite true. A 10% gesture and a nice letter would of made things sweeter. As it stands, right or wrong, friends who would be buying new, will look at this and question their buying decisions. Not because of the product, but because of the way this has been handled.

Trust me, I won't just let this go, but I need the car back on the road and can't spend the next few weeks arguing about it. So in all hopefully we will have it back on the road later in the week.

I appreciate that some of you are even more passionate about the brand than I am. Don't forget it was me who talked my wife into one and I've owned numerous Defenders in the past, so it's not as if i'm anti LR.

For those that are vaugely interested, I will update when anything happens.

For those that aren't, I do genuinely hope you have a decent warranty if anything goes wrong for you. Maybe time to consider one if you don't.....

Cheers

ps. What's the latest thoughts on third party warranties? Looks like I should get one!!

Post #45946127th Apr 2009 12:08 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm in Crawley today, so if you want to name a convenient pub for the both of us I can pop by and tell you to your face if you prefer? You fail to take into account the helpful suggestions I've offered throughout this thread though Rolling Eyes

Look, we've tried to help but none of us have the car in front of us and we don't have an independent engineers report. You seem to be prepared to just roll over and blame the Britishness of the car, so don't be too surprised or hurt when you get flamed.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #45946927th Apr 2009 12:15 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Keep it clean gents - queensbury rules, no punching below the belt, when I say break................

Whatever the outcome of the arguments as to who pays etc. It would be really interesting to know what actually failed. One thing springs to mind Airhog, if you are paying for the replacement engine, it might be useful if your blown engine was given to someone on here who might be able to do a 'post mortem'? Just a thought, or you could make a coffee table out of the cylinder block Top Gear syle Thumbs Up

Post #45952527th Apr 2009 1:39 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm 5'6" so anyone punching me below the belt is likely to be lying down Laughing

Airhog, Gareth repeats a point made previously. You really need an independent engineer to inspect the engine and ancilliaries and come up with the cause. If it can be shown to be a manufacturing problem, LR will struggle not to contribute. If it turns out to have been due to previous abuse, you may have some recourse on the seller if purchased recently and if acquired through a trader or dealership.
It may be your recourse isn't with LR at all?
Post #45953027th Apr 2009 1:44 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
....or you could make a coffee table out of the cylinder block Top Gear syle Thumbs Up

Can I suggest if you do this Airhog that you use German glass Whistle
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45953627th Apr 2009 1:56 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It's painful on the wallet anyway, so why not gamble a few extra £££ on an engineers report. Mybe contact RAC / AA if you are a member to see if they can help with this. as already said, time and time again . . .

Without an engineers report your complain will fall on deaf ears. With one - you're placing LR (or any other car manufacturer) on the back foot Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #45954127th Apr 2009 2:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Im a long time Land Rover owner,
but a D3 out of warranty is a scary thing Banging Head
 Pete  
Post #45985428th Apr 2009 1:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >