Rise in theft of D3/D4’s.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Re: Attempted theft…. Thoughts?

s60r wrote:
So to update this….

I had an attempted theft last night. Whole thing on my Ring Cameras and lasts 1.07.
3 large men, balaclavas, gloves and hoods up.

I haven’t been out to see the damage yet, but it seems I may have left the car unlocked (luckily) or they unlocked the car prior to coming onto the driveway.

1 man opens the car door and has a small handheld device in his hand and feels for the OBD. 1 stands on my door step holding the door handle upwards and one stands next to him ready to tackle anyone opening the door to the house.

Well practiced, didn’t look for anything else in the car or look at the 2 other cars on driveway. They were here for one reason only.

My OBD port is hidden, I know where it is and it still took me 5 minutes to get it the other day when replacing the battery…..I’m really glad I removed it or my car would be gone this morning.

The question is…. What do I do with the video? We all know police won’t even visit or have time to do anything…. Anything else worth doing? Are they likely to try again after a failure?

Thanks for any thoughts

Excellent work! You need to report the matter to police as an attempted theft.. if you don’t the police don’t know about it and therefore will never put any time or effort to tackle it.. only with rising crime figures do they start paying attention and dedicate assets to it..
save the video footage and forward it.. I would also put it on here to show best practice that it works…stop the naysayers…

That team will not bother you again…not saying that another team won’t try.. but the thieves are exposed whilst they are on your drive.. believe it or not they don’t want to be there…they are only there for the minimum duration to get what they came for..
there are far easier pickings down the road with cars that are not protected..

So this attack was not a rebroadcast attack but a Edilock attack.. this device just plugs into the obd and tells the car to start…there are three versions now all have been upgraded to overcome every software update that JLR have made.. the latest just attacks the stop start circuitry rather than the ignition immobiliser circuit.

Re the open vehicle I struggle with this because personally I think most people now lock their car as soon as they leave it.. but most crime investigations appear to say otherwise hence the Home Office constantly reiterating the lock your car slogans!
My gut feel is they deploy blockers .. they know you car lives there and they know the night they are going to get it..my feeling is they may deploy blockers which constantly transmit signals which block the signal from your car key to the vehicle which prevents it locking when you’ve pushed the key fob..
This is why it’s imperative to watch the hazard flash and potentially mirrors fold as you walk away..(not applicable to early Discos)

The recent spate of thefts have used the professional lock pick device.. I.e they flip off the lock cover, pick the lock which takes seconds.. as they open the door the car alarm goes off which is why they post people at the front door to put you off.. the alarm stops as soon as the device is inserted into the obd and hey presto they start the car and drive off!

But altogether great news! Excellent work. Stopped the little fookers!

Post #231068012th Oct 2022 8:56 am
Stephen

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Car stolen from near here last night. Apparently the thieves removed a small sensor from the front bumper, presumably to get access to the car's network the owner thought. Is this really possible?
 Land Rover 80" station wagon (1949)
4 Range -Rovers
2 Disco 3's
2 Disco 4's
(not all at once!) 

Post #231068912th Oct 2022 9:50 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

NJSS wrote:
s60r - Glad to hear your car wasn't stolen or damaged.

I suggest sending the video to the police, as they may tie it in with other offences.

I'm pretty close to West Sussex - whereabouts are you please?

Good luck

NJSS

+1

What a frightening/unsettling experience though.

Hope they get arrested sooner rather than later. Twisted Evil
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #231069012th Oct 2022 9:56 am
Farmer Chalk

Stephen wrote:
Car stolen from near here last night. Apparently the thieves removed a small sensor from the front bumper, presumably to get access to the car's network the owner thought. Is this really possible?

I am afraid yes…. This is the new attack method..all they need is to access the canbus wiring…
This is why we need to consider aftermarket alarm immobilisers and Ghost type devices..steering wheel locks etc

Only affects those who don’t want their car stolen..

Post #231069912th Oct 2022 10:24 am
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thank you all....

I really wasn't going to report it but after Farmer chalks comments I will do it now....

I have the video, resolution is pretty good its 1.07 (mins) long... can I post it here? I would be pleased if it saves someone else's LR from being stolen.

I wish I could agree about them not wanting to be there.... they looked well at ease... my drive lit up like a football pitch and they made no attempt to hide or cover the lights.... 2 of them were ready to tackle the resident (me) whilst the other worked. The device was a small handheld thing about the size of a handheld CB radio..... It also dawned on me I have dash cams front & rear and I reviewed that footage. They made no attempt to hide from the cams. I truly believe they were armed and would have no issue using force had I not had my phone on silent.

Have a look for yourselves (if I can upload a video of that length).

NJSS... I am just south of Arundel... fairly rural but not remote. They really show no signs of stress & are a polished outfit.

I wonder how they will enjoy my air rifle should they return?
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #231076112th Oct 2022 8:26 pm
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ok… I reported it online.

Can’t see how to upload full movie but here are a couple of snapshots.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #231078713th Oct 2022 5:28 am
s60r

Watching it back through, I see no attempt to break in or him holding anything to gain access with…… it’s as if he knew the car was unlocked. Just walked up and opened the door.
Maybe it was blocked from locking.

I thought it was just me being senile and not locking the car, but perhaps it was blocked from locking…. Either way…. He just opened the door seemingly knowing it was already open.

If they can now gain access from a bumper mounted sensor then we are all screwed!

Thankfully these 3 were one trick ponies. Once their chosen route (OBD) wasn’t there they left…. Even quietly closed the door and pushed it shut…. Which makes me think they may come back.
Quiet night on scumbag watch last night though thankfully.

You have to drive to my place, they must have been parked somewhere close… I’m sure if the police had the time they would be on another camera nearby, either parking up or walking to or from their vehicle.
I will check my near neighbours to see if they have cams.
Post #231078813th Oct 2022 5:55 am
Farmer Chalk

Lovely result though!

It may be worth if you have time to review footage of the previous week … some cctv systems allow you to see incidents or movements and you may capture the scoping out visit.. somehow they knew you had the Disco…

I would definitely make neighbours aware not only for their own sakes but also it may jog someone’s memory of a suspicious visit.

For these reasons on my cctv I have additional hidden cameras at face level to capture facial features and cameras looking down the street to capture cars coming in and out of the close.. a number of my neighbours have similar systems which we regularly share info about moody visitors to the street. Works really well!

I am really pleased for you that you managed to have them over.. decent people 1 slags 0!
Excellent work! Now it’s time for the flame thrower installation!

Post #231079013th Oct 2022 6:48 am
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Wow. Seeing the photos makes it all the scarier, sorry you've gone through that.

This might be a silly question but could a simple high-amp battery cut-off switch be installed to the starter motor wiring? Then hidden in the cabin somewhere? No amount of wizardry is going to start the car without that connected.

For me, preventing them ever coming on the property is goal number one. Reading this post is spurring me on to upgrade my CCTV system. The old Swann system still works, but something more beefy with intruder lights etc, might send them packing before they do any damage.

Might get some gates too, they're not too expensive and would act as another deterrent.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #231084613th Oct 2022 1:21 pm
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

You don't need a high amp cut off. Interrupt the circuit to Relay R102 (Starter relay) or Fusible link 14 in the engine bay fuse box. Either will prevent the starter cranking.

Post #231085513th Oct 2022 1:54 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

s60r wrote:
Watching it back through, I see no attempt to break in or him holding anything to gain access with…… it’s as if he knew the car was unlocked. Just walked up and opened the door.
Maybe it was blocked from locking.

I thought it was just me being senile and not locking the car, but perhaps it was blocked from locking…. Either way…. He just opened the door seemingly knowing it was already open.

If they can now gain access from a bumper mounted sensor then we are all screwed!

Thankfully these 3 were one trick ponies. Once their chosen route (OBD) wasn’t there they left…. Even quietly closed the door and pushed it shut…. Which makes me think they may come back.
Quiet night on scumbag watch last night though thankfully.

You have to drive to my place, they must have been parked somewhere close… I’m sure if the police had the time they would be on another camera nearby, either parking up or walking to or from their vehicle.
I will check my near neighbours to see if they have cams.

just out of interest could you not have pressed the panic button on the remote key or was you not watching them when this happened ?
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #231086713th Oct 2022 2:32 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

BradC wrote:
You don't need a high amp cut off. Interrupt the circuit to Relay R102 (Starter relay) or Fusible link 14 in the engine bay fuse box. Either will prevent the starter cranking.

Great, ill do this Thumbs Up

I don't use it day to day, so a switch hidden somewhere won't interrupt my life too much
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #231087713th Oct 2022 3:10 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Not just Disco's ...

Gang stole £800,000 worth of Range Rovers in terrifying crime spree targeting leafy villages

Post #231107214th Oct 2022 6:34 pm
s60r

Thanks all...

I will also look at a switch in line to the relay above. Great idea.

No I wasn't watching live or they would have got shot and I would now be in a cell somewhere.

I will not abide theft. If you want something get your own and do not steal others.... I doubt any kind of CCTV or lighting will deter these gangs. You just need to make sure the car cannot be taken through their chosen method... Great idea above.

I tried to upload the whole video but can't do that here...the police now have it.

They also now have evidence on a public forum of my intention to shoot them should they return..... so I should add it will be non lethal... but quite painful.
Post #231107514th Oct 2022 7:17 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Re vid, best way to put it in here is upload to YouTube then post the link.

Post #231108714th Oct 2022 9:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >