DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

XC90 does NOT topple D4 convincingly in Autocar this week
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

Seemed to go well and at approx 40mpg I ain't going to complain
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #149277325th Jun 2015 8:41 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I've just bought and read a copy of this month's What Car? and they've just reviewed ("tested" might be too strong a word) the Volvo XC90 and BMW X5 estate cars, alongside the Discovery 4. The Volvo came first (5/5 stars), the BMW second (4/5) and the Land Rover third (3/5).

Interestingly, they marked the BMW down for having a worse showing in the latest JD Power survey than Land Rover.

They were not happy about the Disco's economy (no surprises there Rolling Eyes ), how expensive it is to run as a company car (no sh*t Sherlock and one of the reasons I've opted out), lower level of safety kit and it being "unwieldy to drive"; against tall, road biased, estate cars, it probably is.

Out of a 7 page report, they did manage to dedicate an entire short sentence to the off road capability testing of all three cars: "It (the Disco) is also by far the more capable off road". They're nothing if not thorough in their 4x4 testing regime! Rolling Eyes

Completely coincidentally, in the very same magazine, Volvo purchased a two page colour advertising spread on the XC90; it was near the very front of the magazine. But, there was nothing from BMW or Land Rover.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: 2 x FL2 as “second” cars 🙄

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #149380227th Jun 2015 10:44 pm
Laird Lugton

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

I had a quick read of the review this morning. I was surprised that the real world mpg of the new XC90 was only 36mpg. We only average about 10k a year so that's only approximately £40 a month extra for running the Disco which is neither here nor there….that said my Hyundai Sante Fe driving friend is averaging 48mpg...

Also when we were looking at the cabins we thought the Discovery was tougher. The X5 certainly has a nice pretty cabin but as we've found out BMW cabins and young children don't go together. They get tatty very quickly which put us off, the XC90 also looks as if it will get tatty pretty quickly.

The Discovery cabin is nice and big. The X5 in the 2nd row felt claustrophobic, the third row looked cramped! Can't comment on the XC90.

Lastly the review said considering the 10 year old design of the Discovery it gave the X5 and XC90 a run for their money.

Happy with my choice of Discovery Very Happy Just got to await delivery Big Cry

Post #149394828th Jun 2015 12:28 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It got maked down a lot only due to company tax true, resale good value to me What Car are trying their best to put the Discovery down as it's been at the top for so long where others only dream about it's capabilities.They did say it was slow to repond to driving in cities and over bumpy roads etc so i don't know what they were driving...For Volvo to spend all that money with bmw also continually changing their X5
and at this late stage only barely better than the so called outgoing D4 the future looks rosy Thumbs Up

Post #149401328th Jun 2015 4:44 pm
Skep

United Kingdom 

That is all very true and the Disco is a fantastic car but I speced an Xc90 R Design with a few extras to match my HSE and it came out at about £52K which even now is cheaper than a D4, let alone the new one which will no doubt be £10-£20K more

Skep
Club Side Skeps 

Post #149403228th Jun 2015 5:39 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I'm extremely impressed that you managed to spec up "an XC90 R Design with a few extras to match my HSE". I've had a go at that and I'm struggling. I've yet to find any of the following on the Volvo's configurator:

The towing upgrade pack, increasing maximum capacity from 2700 Kg to 3500 Kg
The 256 bhp 600 NM V6 engine upgrade option.
The fully adjustable air suspension, with ride height adjustment, pack
The high capacity version, increasing luggage space from 1868 to 2558 litres
The split tailgate option
The terrain response and switchable high/low range gearbox upgrade pack

As soon as I find them all, I'll be interested to see if I can buy them all within the £2,500 saving available.

Post #149407528th Jun 2015 7:11 pm
Skep

United Kingdom 

I never tow more than 2.5 tonne,
How often is the air suspension or terrain response really useful (my dads xc60 is as capable as my disco in the snow/wet/fields
And the split tailgate....its a nice addition but i wouldn't not buy a car because it didn't have one. It looks as though the new disco won't have one either.
The V6 is nice and it pulls well but it can also drink a lot of diesel.
(It's only my opinion and what works for me)

Again I love my D4 but I think the Volvo will do well! Land Rover need to produce something that ticks all the boxes, at the right price and faster than rumour weed late 2016/early 207
Club Side Skeps 

Post #149409228th Jun 2015 7:38 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

XC90/X5 pimped up estate cars, Discovery 3/4 proper 4x4 end of discussion.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #149409628th Jun 2015 7:41 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
I'm extremely impressed that you managed to spec up "an XC90 R Design with a few extras to match my HSE". I've had a go at that and I'm struggling. I've yet to find any of the following on the Volvo's configurator:

The towing upgrade pack, increasing maximum capacity from 2700 Kg to 3500 Kg
The 256 bhp 600 NM V6 engine upgrade option.
The fully adjustable air suspension, with ride height adjustment, pack
The high capacity version, increasing luggage space from 1868 to 2558 litres
The split tailgate option
The terrain response and switchable high/low range gearbox upgrade pack

As soon as I find them all, I'll be interested to see if I can buy them all within the £2,500 saving available.

And where do you find them as an option on a D4 Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #149409928th Jun 2015 7:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I think you'll find they are standard fit Wink

Post #149410928th Jun 2015 7:54 pm
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

As a former Volvo, now D4 owner, it seems to me that too many people are trying to compare apples and pears. For those who do a lot of off roading and/or need a rugged, strong workhorse of a vehicle, there is unlikely to be a better choice than a LR. For people who want a powerful, heavy, luxury 4x4 for limited off road use such as towing a caravan or trailer then the XC90 offers a viable alternative.

There is now doubt the D4 is as over specced for most owners day to day needs, as the Volvo/BMW/Mercedes/etc 4x4s are under specced for off roading and lugging heavy trailers.

It really boils down to what you need your vehicle to do.

Post #149413128th Jun 2015 8:24 pm
Dannyson

England 

As has been said before .... better to have and not need rather than need and not have... Smile
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #149420128th Jun 2015 10:11 pm
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I think ill just wit till the new Defender, or whatever it will be called, comes out next year.
Both new model Volvo/LR/BMW are to posh inside for my liking.

Hopefully the Dc100 with a good autobox/engine, will fit the bill for what im looking for.
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #149432729th Jun 2015 9:14 am
discofinnie

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

Our disco 4 is just coming up to it's 6th Birthday and it's only just started a few gremlins. I tend to keep my cars around 18 months but as the disco is so good I've kept it over three years and was only going to replace it with another disco. I've been waiting to complete my house build before biting the bullet and ordering a new one.

So yesterday I had three spare hours and was on my way to Land rover to see what the best latest offer was and I walked past Volvo. I got around 50 yards past and thought stuff it, I'm going to have a look at that XC90 thing.

Walked in to the showroom, was slightly impressed by it's look. Grey with 19s momentum model. I got approached far too quickly by staff but managed to brush him off. Sat inside and wow, what a place to be. Had a poke around and a look in the back from the back door. I was impressed again. Went to the boot and as it a showroom vehicle and the power was off the boot wouldn't open. Oh no, I'm going to have to talk to this guy again. Walked around a bit more and then asked him if i could get a look at a car with power so that i could see the boot and have a play with it's ipad.

So had the usual chat and got told they had a demo around the back and he would get the keys. This was a inciption or whatever on 22s. Now I have done a few test drives of various vehicles over the past few months and really nothing has inspired me or given me that excited potential new car feeling but this car on 22s looked stunning. The dash is nothing short of stunning but feels so easy to use. Boot is plenty big for all our prams and general junk. I seriously thought I could be in trouble here.

We then got on to the chat of engines and my love for 6 cylinders. You'll be surprised sir, you really will, would you like a drive. OH YES! Started it up and actually....it sounds ok. Very quiet. Started moving, waitined for that horrible 4 cylinder diesel thrum. Nope, it sounds ok. Not great but it's fine. A few junctions later and we are on a 40 mph main road. Picked up really well and settles to an incredibly quiet cruise. Took the car on the dual carriageway but peeled off quickly to find some bumpy town roads and A roads. The ride on the 22s was pretty poor, I think the 20s would be far better and I would strongly consider the air suspension. Other than that it was fantastic, nice and futuristic, loads of toys, dash is amazing, seats comfy, plenty of room. Have to say I was seriously impressed. It really is a contender in my mind.

Didn't talk finance as I want to have a good play on the configurator and was running out of time. I've had a quick look online and my first look says the finance isn't as competitive as the disco 4 current offer. However I am seriously going to begin discussions to see if this car reaaly is an option.

What I (and no doubt everyone who owns a disco and is thinking of getting an XC90) need to decide is how much do I need and want the 4x4 ability. Is it a personal satisfaction thing? One of my concerns with getting a new disco is that once i get myself in to £400+ a month, when I sit in the car am I going to be a bit dissappointed as it all just seems the same as my old one. I've never replaced like for like before and it worries me. I know i would be getting the nice new 8 speed box and a surround camera but thats it really. I have test driven an 8 speed HSE and I wasn't as impressed as all the forums make out. It is a bit smoother but it's not that far ahead of the six speed over all and it does change gear a lot. In fact when I got back in to my own car I thought "this car is fine, six speed box and all - engine is just as quiet and smooth and I'm not paying 400 a month for this"

I think if I replaced it with the volvo I would definately have that new car excitement. Right until I wanted to go offroad (I could replace my transit van runaround with a pick up or use the quad more for utility work) or the kids started wrecking the seat backs! Hmm decisions decisions and time to find out how the finance is on each car.

Post #150555823rd Jul 2015 7:20 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Interesting review.

The problem that I would have is that, if I were prepared to lose so many of the D5's capabilities (off road ability, V6 engine, towing capability, air suspension, proven, rather than just guessed at good residuals, enormous boot, etc etc), I would be expecting to pay a lot less than the price of a D5 yet, for what it is, a saving of only £2-3,000 would seem to make it a very expensive car indeed Confused

One thing I do like about the V6 is, not only is it is quiet most of the time, but it makes a great V6 growl when you want it to Very Happy While triples, straight fives, sixes and eight's can make great noises, I've only ever driven (or, in this case, ridden) a four that sounded any good!

I'd suggest that if you like the Disco that you have, but fancy a change, save the £400 a month and wait for the D5 and see what that's like. Personally, I'd hate to be looking at the new D5, having lost the D4, yet not being being able to do much about it because I'm financially committed to a Volvo.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: 2 x FL2 as “second” cars 🙄

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #150558523rd Jul 2015 8:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >