Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

XC90 does NOT topple D4 convincingly in Autocar this week
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Apologies, not read all the way thru, but just had brand new XC90 as hire car whilst my D3 was being fixed after school run mum decided playing with phone was more interesting than looking ahead whilst driving in school grounds! D3 1 (small cut and circular bage mark on rear bumper) Small German coupe 0 (badge pushed into bonnet, bumper, headlight, bonnet all taking impact)

Anyway, XC90 is horrid. Big touchscreen that is a PITA to use, engine/auto matching is worse than my 115k D3 auto! Horrid car full of pointless gadgets like wing mirrors flashing red if someone passes u on a motorway. Road noise was deafening, suspension rock hard, every bump accentuated! Steering wheel was too small and light, not a nice drive. Couldn't wait to get D3 back. If D4's are as good as everyone says then I agree w/ Autocar. XC90 is X5 wannabe, not an alternative to D4.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #150906330th Jul 2015 11:30 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

And when you consider that the Autocar and What Car? teams are one and the same........... Whistle

Post #150916330th Jul 2015 3:52 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I should be able to call by at my "local" Volvo dealer, around 60 miles away in Exeter, later today.

It would seem that the car's single stand out feature is that it has a big touch screen; a bit like sticking an iPad to the dash. This is either a huge technical advance, or a pain in the a**e, depending on your point of view.

Personally, I'm not normally impressed with them if they share multiple functions and you always have to take your eyes if the road serveral always times to get the function you want Sad The lack of tactile feedback and recognisable to the touch shapes also mean that you can never use it without taking your eyes off the road, even for those items that happen to be on the home screen.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: 2 x FL2 as “second” cars 🙄

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #15098471st Aug 2015 7:36 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

I'm waiting for the D5. I like terrain response for the grass/ice setting and occasionally use low ratio in the winter. Not a heavy user but that is enough for me!
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #15099301st Aug 2015 1:17 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Red Merle wrote:
I should be able to call by at my "local" Volvo dealer, around 60 miles away in Exeter, later today.

It would seem that the car's single stand out feature is that it has a big touch screen; a bit like sticking an iPad to the dash. This is either a huge technical advance, or a pain in the a**e, depending on your point of view.

Personally, I'm not normally impressed with them if they share multiple functions and you always have to take your eyes if the road serveral always times to get the function you want Sad The lack of tactile feedback and recognisable to the touch shapes also mean that you can never use it without taking your eyes off the road, even for those items that happen to be on the home screen.

Exactly! Huge touchscreen that is a complete distraction. Even changing the aircon temp requires multiple screen taps and you have to look at it carefully to hit the right temp. How ironic Volvo had a reputation for safety, now is making cars even more dangerous.

LR take note - proper buttons/knobs please on the D5.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #15099751st Aug 2015 4:32 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I did go and have a good look in the end.

I was surprised by the touch panel. From all the excitement, I was expecting something truly ground breaking. In the end, it was about as impressive as their last much aired gimmick, the "floating centre console"! Plenty of column inches, but very little to recommend it.

When Volvo gets an interior right, it gets it right; the ergonomic masterpiece that was the 2000-2007 V70 was a case in point. The XC90 does nothing to carry that tradition forward Sad

Post #151602715th Aug 2015 2:19 pm
SN

just to wake this thread up - but no on the XC90 angle but on an off the cuff remark by BLFarrar in his original post looking for comparable options against a D4 and he mentioned Isuzu

I was at our local agricultural show last weekend, not in the best of moods knowing the D3 was going this week, and lo and behold the local Manchester Isuzu Main Dealer had a stand and I had a nosey.

A tricked up D-Max with all the toys looks excellent and with prices struggling to get over £30K for a top of the range one with cruise/satnav/climate/rearview/fullleather and a truck top I thought I'd find out a bit more...

First find was that Isuzu are racing a near road going D-Max in BCCC against monster tricked up specials - and doing OK - and Round 2 was in the Radnor Forest (PNC 2015 terrain - this being a minimum requirement in my mind) Whistle

Has axle clearance at the mid point of a D4's normal height / raised height settings, but it seems a piece of Censored to put a 2 inch lift on it and a £300 chip gets the PS/Nm up to D3 level (if not D4) - and whilst not having Terrain Response it has low range and can divert 4WD power to grounded wheels when one or more are spinning - and because its basically a Chevy/GMC/Holden Truck they're all over the globe

Doubtless its road manners are nowhere near a D3/D4 but I may just go and test drive one to see...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #152777911th Sep 2015 3:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Not sure Oscar would, appreciate his place in the boot!!

Click image to enlarge

Post #152778211th Sep 2015 3:32 pm
pjb

England 

pjb wrote:
Sadly I'm not in a position to buy a Disco 4 personally so my car is a company car so subject to company car tax.

A Disco 4 has Co2 of 213gkm so BIK is 35% of list price, so not an option, I currently have a Disco 4 commercial as BIK is £3,190.

Many of the 4x4 manufacturers have brought in hybrids, and the Volvo XC90 T8 is one with a co2 of 49gkm so BIK of 5% of list price, Landrover seem to be a bit behind on this, at least at sensible level Co2, ie the Range Rover Hybrid Co2 is still 189gkm.

I'm looking forward to getting a vehicle that can tow nearly 2t of caravan but also has 7 seats and I can afford the BIK on - so I'm looking seriously at the XC90 hybrid.

Its not a proper 4x4 as both axles whilst driven are driven by different power sources, the front axle a petrol engine the rear axle an electric engine, not sure how well it will work only time will tell, but I hope with decent tyres it will at least get me on & off caravan pitches & be okay in the winter - it comes from Sweden so they should be able to set up a car for winter use.

Wish me luck Whistle

after all the above ended coming out of company cars & getting a FFRR arrives at end of Sept Thumbs Up
 Previously those that have a special place in my heart
BV55YZD G4 RRS
BP52GJE G4 110 

Post #152778811th Sep 2015 3:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

DSL wrote:
Not sure Oscar would, appreciate his place in the boot!!

Click image to enlarge

I think a bed rug would help... Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #152779311th Sep 2015 3:53 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I changed my 10 year old D3 for a 2 year old Amarok Highline. And you're right, the on road is nothing like what the D3 was but I expect it will do 95% of what I did in my D3 off road, the boot space with the truck top is enormous and can be hosed out, the tax is £230 a year, 25K mile service intervals and my first service was £130 Inc VAT!

Extended warranty is £1K for 3 years with warranty direct too.

I miss the wafting in the D3, but don't miss waiting for the bills to roll in when it broke, which it did, quite often. Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #152780111th Sep 2015 4:02 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

remember that the 5% BiK rate is very soon set to increase to next year's rate of 7 and then 13% during the following year.
Personally, I've given up on company cars; way too tax inefficient!

Post #152799511th Sep 2015 10:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >