Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

XC90 does NOT topple D4 convincingly in Autocar this week
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

But do we know the D5 will get the TDV6 lump? It might end up with the Ingeniwotsit engine, whether in 4 pot mode or if they widen the bits in the factory and make a 6 pot.

Especially since what we "know" is more wishful thinking than actual knowledge of what will be. Whistle

Post #150558823rd Jul 2015 8:54 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Yes, you're right, we don't know if it will have the SDV6 engine.

It's certain to get the 2.0 litre Incontinent (or whatever it's called) engine but, give it a year or so and I would expect other derivatives of this motor will start to arrive. It might even get the SDV6 in the short term (just like the DS got the Freelander's 2.2 for the first 9 months)
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: 2 x FL2 as โ€œsecondโ€ cars ๐Ÿ™„

2021 to date: Hinckley built โ€˜14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built โ€˜14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #150558923rd Jul 2015 8:59 am
discofinnie

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

With regards to the items I would be losing with the XC90

Towing - I tow small trailers up to 750kg generally. I have towed a boat but that isn't a regular event so I'm not really losing much.
Air suspension - I would be speccing the XC90 with air, ok it doesn't have the ability of the D4 air suspension but there aren't many that do!
Enormous Boot - The XC90 is prob the nearest rivalwith reardto boot space this side of an audi Q7, it really is enough and if i need more i have my van anyway.
Residuals - Totally in question with a disco too, a new model is coming , LR are going to start offering good deals on the last of the D4s so sued values will be affected there too. The XC90 is the new boy in town and is going to retain some good residuals for the next two years or so.
Reliability - D4 is proven but many still have issues on this forum. On JD power survey Volvo do far better than land rover so if both makers have brand new models out then I think it is Volvo who have the best chance of providing reliability.

But I admit there will be some loss in going from D4 to XC90 wrt off road ability. However what is the gain going to the XC90. - Amazing interior, amazing technology, amazing feel good factor from the driving seat, amazing access and functionality of the car as a family car, huge safety, amazing headlights (good in D4 too mind)

D5 is going to be up in price, this could negate D5 straight away and we still dont know when its coming!

Its not an easy one

Post #150561223rd Jul 2015 9:56 am
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

ive been a longtime Volvo driver until a head on crash in Italy last year. A massive impact that creased every panel apart from the tailgate...but we walked away with a few breaks, bruises and cuts. The insurance people sent out a new D4 to bring us and our caravan home. The wife fell in love with the higher ride, solid feel. She said she felt safe...despite a Volvo just saving us. So I bought D4. After 12months it's been more expensive to run...in every way. And I am only 90% sold on it compared to my Volvo. We don't go off-roading, we have never had problems towing caravans off muddy fields, and the car isn't expected to do a lot of hard word or big load toting. I 'know, the local Volvo garage, it's used primarily for solo driving. So I fall into the category that the XC90 might suit.

At the moment finances recommend waiting (still waiting for injury claims to be settled!) as does the fact that the XC90 is still new and user untested. But my 15+ previous Volvos have always been reliable ( can only recall 3 incidents in 30+ years of ownership) and the stories about Discovery reliability, have I confess, had me listening to car noises and being spooked by slightest misbehaviour, far more than I did with 'the devil I knew'.

I will wait with interest to see how the D5 compares with XC90 spec and price and get roadside breakdown cover for the first time in 20years...just in case. Lol

Post #150565423rd Jul 2015 11:26 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

If the Volvo was the bestest most reliablist, fastest, cheapest, coolest 4x4 on the planet I would still rather poke a squid jig down my japs eye attached it to a 20ft piece of line tyed to a thoroughbreds tail and fire a starting pistol next to its ear just after telling it I was Romanian

Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Last edited by Willy Eckerslike on 23rd Jul 2015 12:06 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #150565923rd Jul 2015 11:47 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Smile I had a look at the new XC90 and thought it looked really good 'in the flesh' compared to the pics. The finish inside also looked top quality, also had a look/play with a Q5 and a glance at an X5 but stuck with the LR. I don't tow massive loads (TA caravan, occasional trailer) I don't intend to use it off road and yes it is basically a 10yo styling 'box' shape but it has the rear access for my 2 large hounds I feel I need, the others have the now familiar sloped rear hatch which generally reduces the distance between the rear seats and the tailgate and prevents a decent size cage going in.

I went into the purchase with my eyes open having had my D3 for 4 yrs and a few earlier LRs and hoping that problems will be few(er) Rolling Eyes but I'm confident it is the car for me and mine at the present time and circumstances. The driving pleasure is IMO pretty unbeatable for what it is (although mates new RRS was very nice too 8) ) As time goes on more contenders will appear as well as the D5 but until then it still leads the pack for me - even after 10yrs! Thumbs Up

Post #150566323rd Jul 2015 11:59 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Willy Eckerslike wrote:
If the Volvo was the bestest most reliablist, fastest, cheapest, coolest 4x4 on the planet I would still rather poke a squid jig down my japs eye attached it to a 20ft piece of line tyed to a thoroughbreds tail and fire starting pistol next to its ear

Shocked Don't hold back Willy - speak your mind! Rolling with laughter

Post #150566423rd Jul 2015 12:00 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Wolfpack wrote:
...and the stories about Discovery reliability, have I confess, had me listening to car noises and being spooked by slightest misbehaviour, far more than I did with 'the devil I knew'.

Wolfpack wrote:
....and get roadside breakdown cover for the first time in 20years...just in case. Lol

There in lies the curse of Forums, captured perfectly in the first sentence. Our D4's might be perfectly reliable, but other people's stories can ruin our own confidence, looking out for faults that aren't there, even if we've not had any bother at all.

After nearly 2,500 post, I finally gave up on the Triumph Tiger 1200 Forum, after finding people selling up for exactly the same reason. It all got too depressing, even when my own bike had been absolutely fine!

I really try not to let other people's widely varying standards on what is (and what isn't) acceptable cloud my own judgment, especially when those with completely unrealistic expectations are usually by far the most vocal! Rolling Eyes

Post #150566623rd Jul 2015 12:07 pm
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Fair comment about forums.

Anyway, the wife isn't going to give up 'her' D4 without a struggle, so whatever the reality of the reliability claims, I am not going to change if I want a quiet life. Very Happy

Post #150570023rd Jul 2015 1:48 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Laughing

I have just the same "problem"!

If I suggest going to look at a Mercedes, a BMW (especially), an Audi - well, in fact, anything but a LR, the answer is swift - "DIVORCE!!" Rolling Eyes

Might get away with a Jag Whistle

Post #150572023rd Jul 2015 2:22 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

With the new invinciple XC90 according to what car best around strange that as soon it's put against Q7 it's knocked down so you got to laugh taken them all of best part of 10 yrs to get the best of L/R then a odd Q7 takes it's perch at the top.
I would wait to see what the D5 is all about first before jumping ship...

Post #150573923rd Jul 2015 3:03 pm
stenh02

Scotland 

Willy Eckerslike wrote:
If the Volvo was the bestest most reliablist, fastest, cheapest, coolest 4x4 on the planet I would still rather poke a squid jig down my japs eye attached it to a 20ft piece of line tyed to a thoroughbreds tail and fire a starting pistol next to its ear just after telling it I was Romanian

I know this doesn't add to the discussion, but, sorry, Thumbs Up Sheep great post.

I have in the past mentioned a 'vulva' or 'oodi' to my wife....nae chance. Even the L405 wouldn't do. D4 all the way Thumbs Up

Post #150588123rd Jul 2015 8:36 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Red Merle wrote:
Laughing

I have just the same "problem"!

If I suggest going to look at a Mercedes, a BMW (especially), an Audi - well, in fact, anything but a LR, the answer is swift - "DIVORCE!!" Rolling Eyes

Might get away with a Jag Whistle

Flip side of the coin my SWMBO told me in a very loud voice she'd divorce me if I bought another. All done in the local LR service department after mine had been yellow taxi'd in yet again.

A year later bought her one. Laughing Laughing But it had it's own back when it dumped me at the side on the M6 at Shap in subzero weather when it completely shut down on me when I was in the fast lane.

It's a LR thing, but this is my last.

Post #150588923rd Jul 2015 8:45 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Del your in it this long, no hang in there, get another you know you will miss the worry Rolling with laughter

Post #150589223rd Jul 2015 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Willy Eckerslike wrote:

Um, I think I'll drive the Volvo Embarassed
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #150589623rd Jul 2015 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >