PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Adaptive Front Lighting System Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #59048426th Jan 2010 2:11 pm
DCC4x4
Site Sponsor 

lol i like the introduction, if you resolve this we will upgrade you to black piano:)

we have a 57 plate hse disco 3 with a headlight with a part no xbc500112 afs-uk spec and we are trying to fit
2010 spec afs lights to the vehile, the adaptive feature is not being regonised as the light is flashing on the dash, i believe my electrican has a few ideas but will be waiting until thursday for more info thanks for your help.

Post #59050326th Jan 2010 2:37 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I best hope i really am as smart as i say then now Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

If you resolve this we will upgrade you to black piano:)

Hmmn, that's awful nice of you, I am not adverse to a bit of give away of nice things myself here, so it would make a change for me to actually get something nice.
i guess you better put my name on that then because i do happen to already know exactly what that particular problem is, and have indeed figured out how to get round it.

The problem is that the Disco 3 is the only vehicle to not use the LIN bus to send data from the AFS ECU to the lights. The sport pre and post 2010, all L322 and the Disco 4 all have head lights that accept their motor direction input information in the form of a LIN bus data wire.

The Disco 3 on the other hand has 3 pairs of wires that directly drive the headlamp motors from the AFS ECU.

Unfortunately you can't just add the D4 AFS ECU and fit it in place of the D3 one, because these ECU's get their input over the CAN bus and on Disco 3's that's 29 bit extended CAN but on the D4 that's 11 Bit standard can and the two are not compatible.

So the trick is to use the AFS ECU off the pre 2010 Range Rover Sport
This will also correctly drive the static bending lamps too.

I think the PN of the AFS ECU that will do the job is YWC500323
I know its from a different car but these are not flash programmable, which i would expect if they had positioning maps for different models and its the same PN for the L322 one as well.

Sadly the connectors are a bit different but the Sport one is a common Amp type you should easily be able to source.
You will have to move some pins around at the headlight end though.
The LIN data has to go in on pin 13 on a D4 headlight which is used for power on the D3 Light, you now need to put the power in on pin 14 where the ground once was and pinch a twisted pair that is no longer used to give you the wire to run the LIN in on along with its un terminated ground wire.

Did i miss anything Whistle
I edited this to add a bit more info BTW

Last edited by BBS SPY on 26th Jan 2010 4:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #59055526th Jan 2010 3:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DCC4x4
Site Sponsor 

off to land rover to buy a black piano wheel:(

i will come back to you later in the week to congratulate you:)

Post #59057726th Jan 2010 4:29 pm
DCC4x4
Site Sponsor 

bbs spy

if we were to use the pre 2010 sport afs ecu will it be an easy enough job to swap over the connector and can you recommend where to get the amp type connector?

also have you physically done this conversion?

my electrician Mark also said he knows you, he helped you with a instument cluster for an export car through your cyprus dealer.

Post #59147827th Jan 2010 7:39 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Very Happy
Cheers, that will certainly earn me some Brownie points with the missus, who is the one who normally drives the L322 which normally just gets fixed when broken as opposed to upgrades such as the smooth Nappa leather wheel i fitted to the D3 and can't stop myself caressing much to her annoyance Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

The ECU from the sport is also not expensive Thumbs Up

If you or your tech guy need more comprehensive detail, such as what pins to move where, just gimme a shout.

I might also add that my proposed solution to your problem hinges on the belief that the LIN bus commands issued on a pre 2010 sport are the same as the D4 headlamps would understand.

But since the headlights are just physical ve vamps, likely made by the same company, and there is certainly no need to rework any existing technology for them, it's a fair assumption. Thumbs Up

But talking of wheels and D3 to D4 upgrades, you might also be interested in this thread.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic44385.html?highlight=

I have sussed how to do the basics, and am already well on the way with that, but i now just need to get my hands on a Heated 2010 sport wheel and the accompanying Active Cruise control and Heated Wheel controls to include it all in my design. I also need to upgrade my own D3 Clock spring to a later one with Heated wiring to, to test it properly. It matter not that its a D3 to D4 upgrade or pre 2010 to post 2010 as its the same thing technologically.

Given how i already collaborate so well with most other sponsors on here, and that it seems like the sort of thing you could ultimately market and provide to end users far better than I, i thought you might like presenting you with the opportunity to join forces on that.

Warmest Regards
Colin

Post #59148027th Jan 2010 7:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya DC4x4

Sorry i missed your question, as it was posted just as i was writing my last response and it went above.
Yes i vaguely remember Mark working with me to remotely sort out some big configuration problems on some new export cars. That was a couple of years back IIRC. Nice chap, tell him i said Hi. Probably cheers you up to know we have successfully worked together before i guess Very Happy

Anyway, no i have not physically done the same exact conversion you need to do. But what you need to do would have been a damned site easier and cheaper than what i have actually done which was to completely fit an AFS system and all wiring for it from scratch.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic44435.html
In addition i also have some other hands on experience with the sport ECU and wiring it up to get it working in a bench situation and have worked with it electronically on a vehicle.

In essence for our vehicle diagnostic software development i have an almost complete set of the discovery 3's wiring and ECU set on a bench. To this i have had to obtain and wire up both versions of the AFS ECU's so we can talk to them diagnostically and write / test our software to cover them.
As part of this i naturally have to look into all the pin outs and wiring aspects of both. So not only do i know their operational differences and their pin out & connector differences but also silly detail like on a Sport the AFS ECU is on the right hand Kick panel but on the left on a D3, That the sport is a Hella Unit while the D3 is Denso, that although physically a much bigger box, the same bracket is a dual use one. I would not have already had the knowledge about the D4 part but A) Martin (site owner) had me checking up on some bits that meant i spent some time studying how AFS and corner lighting / Static bending lights are done in a D4 and B) we have just written diagnostics for the D4 AFS 8)

So although i have not actually physically done this, i really do have enough knowledge to know what needs to be done to easily pull this off

In essence what you will need to do is chop off the old D3 AFS ECU connector and then crimp pins for the new connector onto the wires and insert them into the new connector body. Don't worry, I can help you with what wire colours need to go into what cavities for the swap out. You will also have to back out and move some pins around on the back of the lights and cut the pins of about 5 redundant wires each side. 4 of these can be bent back and taped up for neatness at both ends (light and ECU) but one will remain open ended in order to provide an unterminated earth as per the LIN Bus spec.

Like i said before, there is however a slim possibility that the LIN bus output of the pre 2010 sport might not be compatible with the D4 AFS lights and the only way to know for sure is to physically wire a D3 up and try it.

Ideally you could do with getting your hands on a second hand AFS ECU connector for a sport or L322
Once we know it works we can start looking at sourcing new connectors, but as i also said, i recognize the type, its like the one used on the back of the Ipack, or the Nav unit only smaller and is commonly used for small ECU's like cruise controls, so i really don't think sourcing it will prove to be that difficult and i will help there too when we reach that stage. I will also have a look around the bits i have, and see if i can find something that will fit at least good enough for testing.

Once sorted, it's an easy and natural progression for you to then also be able to add AFS and corner lights along with the new D4 lights to D3 owners who don't have that as part of the conversion you offer, which is a nice touch methinks. Wink

Although i may actually be willing to take you up on your kind offer of the wheel in exchange for my help, much of which i have already shared with you with thus far, however i do so only because
A) i really do now quite fancy the wheel Rolling with laughter
and
B) I feel quite sure that the degree of information and knowledge i have and am willing to share, along with the detailed support and help i will give right through to the finish, will in fact be worth far more to you.

BTW, if i can find a connector, since i will have the ECU, the connector and a D3 to try it all out on, it might be a better idea for you to lend me a set of D4 lights to get it all worked out on for you with.

Warmest Regards
Colin

Post #59307229th Jan 2010 9:13 pm
DCC4x4
Site Sponsor 

sorry rushed today, bbs spy have you the part number of the range rover sport xenon ecu unit we need to use thx martin

Post #5946941st Feb 2010 12:34 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

YWC500232 should do your job

Post #5947241st Feb 2010 1:22 pm
DCC4x4
Site Sponsor 

thanks very much

Post #5951011st Feb 2010 10:12 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

You welcome, Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Any further help, is of course but a formality, but i have to add that SWMBO is really now looking forward to having a smart new Piano Black Wheel for her L322 and i really would hate to be embarrassed on that. Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #5990117th Feb 2010 10:07 pm
DCC4x4
Site Sponsor 

i am a man of my word:)

the only problem i have is my electrician is on holiday for 2 weeks so you will have to wait and see:)

the car will be ready , eg painted this week i will post pics if time permits

Post #5995598th Feb 2010 8:36 pm
DCC4x4
Site Sponsor 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic45389.h...p;start=30

i have now posted images on this thread, looking into AFS lights next week

Post #60676620th Feb 2010 10:38 am
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hello
Did anyone here figured how to cable the D3 wiring into the D4 headlights and who is willing to let me know/help, as it is all we need now? Big Cry

DCC 4X4 can not sell nor export this - before you all tell me to contact him - Rolling Eyes

Cheers Thumbs Up
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Post #62352019th Mar 2010 1:32 pm
Jiggy

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
D3 to D4 headlight conversion

Can anyone tell me how to convert a D3 headlight to D4 spec without actually using a D4 headlight? I believe someone posted a thread on doing it themselves but can't find it! Is anyone offering a conversion?
many thanks

Post #6581438th Jun 2010 6:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >