Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

PIRELLI ATR (255/55R19 111H) - Wear Rates?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 10 <12345678910>
goinsurfinusa

2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR3

I've had the 19" ATRs for over 22K now. I recall reading somewhere that ATRs have a 50K tread life.. Currently, the wear and road noise is absolutely minimal. On trails, they grip well. I'm very happy with them and will consider another round whenever they wear out...

Post #54892910th Nov 2009 2:19 pm
D3 1234

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Changed again for the same yesterday €220 each. Put on last set August'08 after only 4 months from Good Year that came on it. Very pleased with scorpians and still had good field grip left only road grip gone at sides so did not want to take chance on wet roads. Did me a good 28k miles of hard driving.

Post #54893810th Nov 2009 2:34 pm
01coccobet

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi all,
I've done about 5000mls on ATR 18" they look ok with the tread,
but I'm having bad experiencies in very wet corners,they slide a lot Shocked Shocked Shocked ,
not into acceleration or breaking(meaning with straight wheels)
any of you feel the same?!?
Question or it is me beeing to much a piece of italian driver with a 3 tonns car?!? Idea Laughing
cheers everybody
 figuring it out!!!!
the best feeling:getting airborne. 

Post #54897910th Nov 2009 4:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoboy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

01coccobet wrote:
Hi all,
I've done about 5000mls on ATR 18" they look ok with the tread,
but I'm having bad experiencies in very wet corners,they slide a lot Shocked Shocked Shocked ,
not into acceleration or breaking(meaning with straight wheels)
any of you feel the same?!?
Question or it is me beeing to much a piece of italian driver with a 3 tonns car?!? Idea Laughing
cheers everybody

If they are anything like my zero's, then they will be great for drifting around wet roundabouts, unless I've accidentally selected the 'Drifting' special program Whistle

Post #54907910th Nov 2009 7:47 pm
goinsurfinusa

2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR3

Regarding wet traction, i hydroplaned at 60mph a couple of months ago on the highway in Miami and came close to hitting a wall.. so now when it rains, i stay at 50 mph which seems to be a safe but controllable speed...

Post #54932610th Nov 2009 11:32 pm
01coccobet

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

could it be an issue?!?...I don't like this feeling.... Shocked
 figuring it out!!!!
the best feeling:getting airborne. 

Post #55387620th Nov 2009 1:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

goinsurfinusa wrote:
Regarding wet traction, i hydroplaned at 60mph a couple of months ago on the highway in Miami and came close to hitting a wall.. so now when it rains, i stay at 50 mph which seems to be a safe but controllable speed...

Are you sure that's not "Florida Ice"? I've been driving through some serious puddles today at far greater than 60 and they felt surprisingly better than the zero's I had previously?
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #55387920th Nov 2009 1:33 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Never felt much going wrong even when hitting deep surface water at speed (plenty to chose from at present Rolling Eyes ). Are your bushes etc all OK?

There is one local corner that makes life interesting in the wet, but it used to treat the Zeros almost the same.

The road surface is an average of flat but is deteriorating and covered with deep 1" wide potholes that fill with water/diesel. With anything other than a gentle foot, the car slides around like there's a thin layer of ball bearings. Note that although there's a definite feeling of lateral movement, it's still controlled and braking/steering still works as you'd expect. This is the only place that the ATRs sound louder than the Zeros and the only place they feel marginally less able. I assume it's the larger blocks interacting with the mini potholes and therefore cannot really blame the tyres when realistically it's an issue with speed and the surface conditions.

I'll certainly be returning to ATR if these ones ever wear out...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #55389420th Nov 2009 6:32 am
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Tyre wear rates on D3's have always been subject to raised eyebrows Rolling Eyes

Ironically the D2 (my last member of the LR stable) was mind blowingly amazing when it can to tyre wear.

I had one from new in Sept 04 with Michelin XPC's as standard, it managed an impressive 58k on these, sadly they are no longer in production, being replaced by the Syncrone ? which have a much more road biased tread profile.
I opted for a set of BF Goodrich AT's and I sure you will all doubt this, but when I sold the car they were still on it, and it had by now clocked over 180k, so that means the AT's had done an incredible 122,000 miles, I would add they still had loads of tread left, had never punctured, and had been subjected to 'normal' driving, including the occasional off road trip etc.

Now I have almost new D3 (TDV6 auto) which has Verdestien Wintrac's which obviosly are not original fitment, it has clocked 50k+ and they are getting near to needing replacement already. Sad

What I don't quite understand, when compared to the D2, they are similar weight vehicles, similar size tyres etc etc . . . so why the massive difference in tyre wear rates, and it seems to be common amoung D3 owners irrespective of how or where the vehicle is driven Confused

Maybe the LR desiners have got together with tyre manufactorers to ensure the wheel geometry is set up to shred tyres.

I know the new D4 still has Pirelli Scorpion (Zeros) fitted as standard, and the ony tyre recommended by LR for extreme off road use are Goodyear MTR's (as fitted to the G4 challenge vehicles)

Mine has 19" wheels, so the tyre choice is a bit limited, but at the moment I'll be sticking with Verdestiens as they offer amazing grip in both dry and wet conditions, and are fair to good off road in all but the most severe or knee deep mud conditions Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #55391020th Nov 2009 9:51 am
peter.c

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Where does average 13,000 miles tyre life for a Touareg leave your eyebrows !

Post #55719727th Nov 2009 11:31 pm
peter.c

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have now two observations on AT/R's. After some aquaplaning moments, in the last two days of extreme rainfall (in bursts), where water was flowing in rivers down/across the carriageway,one slide was met with a simultaneous hammer blow to the steering. My theory is that grip is very high in the wet, but the tyres 'let go' due to their stiff race-tyre like feel. 60 mph (100km/hr) seems the danger point. Michelin used to have a chevron patterned wet competition tyre, which conversely was devastatingly good even on wet grass, but no doubt would be evil in mud etc. Tonight I achieved awesome cornering levels in the wet with them on a long oval roundabout. seemingly with the front inside wheel 'waving at the vicar' off the ground !

Post #55789329th Nov 2009 11:52 pm
discoboy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just had a quote from Micheldever for 4 x 255/55 19" ATR = £727 inc fitting/balancing/VAT etc. Seems a good price to me and their service is always professional, getting front discs and pads and full geo setup (hunter) done by them also.

Harwoods of Basingstoke quoted £1200 !!! WTF !

Post #55789430th Nov 2009 12:03 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Before you go throwing money away try asking Ken for a quote on ATR's. Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #55793530th Nov 2009 1:41 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Distant memories from my aviation days are that for a given tyre tread (type and depth), the speed at which hydroplaning commences is proportional to the square root of the tyre pressure (that's why those of us driving in sand lower from 40 psi to 15 psi - we want to hydroplane on top of the sand). Unless roads are rough those of you driving across heavy water may want to get the tyre pressure as high as allowable to raise the hydroplane point.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #55794530th Nov 2009 7:05 am
Ken

DiscoBoy, the price that Micheldever have quoted is on par as it incs fitting etc its about time tyre dealers brought the price down inline with cost Thumbs Up

Post #55795030th Nov 2009 8:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >