Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

PIRELLI ATR (255/55R19 111H) - Wear Rates?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Dcm, u sure that isn't a D3? Snigger

Post #9281504th May 2012 2:34 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Oh I know it's not when I plant my right foot on the floor Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green !
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #9281554th May 2012 2:46 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Speedfreak!! Ner Ner Laughing

Post #9281574th May 2012 2:47 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Nice post count Thumbs Up
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #9281584th May 2012 2:48 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

So as my rubber on the front is approaching warn GG HP's on 18's, what should I look at GG AT or Pirelli ATR?

I have a couple of months to decide I think.

If I go for AT or ATR, the rear Goodyear HP's will need swapping out too

I have considered and indeed recently offered on some 19" HSE rims, not sure if they'll come off yet, should I stick to 18's so I can go ATR or go for 19's as the AT is avaialble and just as good.

Wear rate is the key, 20,000 miles per year, all road, no laning or offroad, the defender is there for that if I want, so noise and wear?
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #9281604th May 2012 2:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

devonchilliman wrote:
Nice post count Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up Nowt on TV. Whistle

Post #9281624th May 2012 2:59 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

If you want a more expensive tyre that lasts 45K plus, no increase in noise or mpg, tough side walls and great in everything bar deep gloop, then it's the ATR.

If you want a tyre that is cheaper, doesn't last as long (~25k from memry) more agressive looking tread (for those that don't want to look as well 'ard as MTRs), good in all conditions apart from thick gloop, 2 - 3 less mpg, noisier and more vulerable to sidewall damage then ATs are for you.

Pays yer money & takes yer choice. Thumbs Up

Post #9281664th May 2012 3:10 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Spot on comparison DSL Thumbs Up

Post #9281734th May 2012 3:19 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

beanie, obviously it comes down to personal choice, but after driving 100k+ miles on 19" rims I do prefer the 18" rims that I'm currently running (with ATR's). They're more comfy, probably slightly quieter and only marginally more side roll on hard cornering. I worry even less about kerbing and pinching a side wall off-road. It also looks as if the wear rate on 18" ATR's is going to be even better than the 19" ATR's.

I'm also of the school of thought that thinks big tough off-roaders look visually better with a deeper side wall. But again that's very much a personal choice.

For me 18" rims are the best compromise.

Post #9281824th May 2012 3:30 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
It's a shame that we can't have a proper discussion about the different characteristics of these two popular All Terrain tyres. I'm sure that some D3/4 owners who are looking to replace their oe tyres would find it helpful.

The ATR in 19" has been deleted from UK stock so no point comparing these two.

As I have said before "we sell far more General AT than ATR" think that says something. Thumbs Up

Having said that we did sell some 18" ATR's today.

The General AT is better than ATR in the mud, fact.

I accept we are entileted to our own opinion, this is mine backed up by very many happy General AT customers. Thumbs Up

Post #9281854th May 2012 3:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:

If you want a tyre that is cheaper, doesn't last as long (~25k from memry)

Pays yer money & takes yer choice. Thumbs Up

Have a customer on 43,000 on 255/55x19 General AT, I do think mileage will work out about the same. Thumbs Up

Post #9281894th May 2012 3:44 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Just going by what I've noticed peeps saying here, general observation. Some will be higher than others & vice verso. Thumbs Up

Post #9281954th May 2012 3:50 pm
LT

Iirc, the 18" Pirelli ATR is still listed on the Pirelli UK website. Plus when the UK stock eventually dries up, it wouldn't be too hard to source 19" ATR's as they're still listed in most Euro countries and as they're cheaper in Euroland than the UK Evil or Very Mad having them couried to you would make sense. So I think a comparison is relevant and useful for this forum.

I doubt in reality there's much in it off-road between AT & ATR, especially on a D3/4. But, as the AT has a more open tread pattern than the AT I wouldn't argue with you. However, off-road the AT is (statistically on this forum anyway) more prone to side wall damage. Certainly the AT is no slouch off-road, but don't take my word for it, see the results of the 4X4 Action tyre test in the link below:
http://www.actiontyres.com.au/_blog/Action...Tyre_Test/

Your sales figures aren't really relevant to the discussion. I was chatting to the owners of Venture Tyres in Bristol last week, they were bemoaning the fact that over the last few years they've sold many more "budget" tyres than previous years. But that's a just a sign of the current economic climate. GG AT's are well priced!

Andy, you've only mentioned mud performance,and your sales figures. Do you have any opinion on on-road performance, braking, road noise, wear rates, mpg etc. between the AT & ATR's?

I still think DSL put it pretty much in a nutshell in his post above as did Ken ages ago in his tyre test, but discussion and debates provide information and that's what this forum does so well, enabling owners and prospective owners of D3/4's to make informed decisions based on the experiences of other D3/4 owners.

Last edited by LT on 4th May 2012 4:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9282124th May 2012 4:37 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

LT wrote:

I'm also of the school of thought that thinks big tough off-roaders look visually better with a deeper side wall. But again that's very much a personal choice.

For me 18" rims are the best compromise.

I have the famous BFG 265/65 16 MT's on the Defender, and really aggressive 235/85 16 MT's on the spaceframe. I like the look too.

The thought of the 19's was to lessen the roll, sounds like a stiff side wall of something like the ATR will acheive that, although I have to say, even at speed the D3 is alwways quite flat through the bends (compared to the coilers) Thumbs Up

DSL its not cost but value for money, and I think you are on the same thought as me, the car is staying a while, so buy the tyre that will last a few miles and take a few knocks. I tend to avoid kerbs, but rough roads and country lanes with potholes and occasional collapsed dry stone walls etc in the peaks suggest a tougher tyre.

It all leans to an All Terrain tyre, so It will soon be time to start shopping for a deal.

It will be a case of sourcing the rubber and having it fitted locally I think, so better keep an eye out for Andys cracking deals, there have been a couple this week Thumbs Up

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Post #9282134th May 2012 4:38 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

LT wrote:
Plus when the UK stock eventually dries up, it wouldn't be too hard to source 19" ATR's as they're still listed in most Euro countries and as they're cheaper in Euroland than the UK Evil or Very Mad having them couried to you would make sense.

Not if you have a holiday house in Euro land too Mr. Green Whistle Whistle Whistle

PM me for details

Post #9282184th May 2012 4:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >