Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

PIRELLI ATR (255/55R19 111H) - Wear Rates?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Wondering what BigDave's rates are for bringing tyres in from France? Wouldn't surprise me if they're cheaper over there anyway, bet they are in the US.

Here we go:

http://www.pneus-online.fr/pneu-auto-PIREL...%7CXL.html

That's about £188 a tyre. No doubt they can be found at a cheaper price as well.

Post #9065617th Mar 2012 10:38 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Group buy in france anyone ? Mr. Green

Post #9066097th Mar 2012 11:32 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Seems like facts are hard for some to follow, we find the ATR one of the "least" popular tyres we sell so for us it's no problem.

We have found the General AT outsells the ATR by quite some distance.

We will only sell official UK imports, not grey imports as we have to back up what we sell. Thumbs Up

Post #9066287th Mar 2012 11:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yeah, it's got to be good news for Micheldever Tyre Services and it's trading division 4SITE 4X4 TYRE CENTRES http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/20/21767.html

Post #9066338th Mar 2012 12:12 am
LT

dantheman wrote:
Group buy in france anyone ? Mr. Green

Could be the way to go. Booze and tyre cruise!

I'd personally not have any quality concerns about buying any Pirelli tyre from a Pirelli dealer in an EU country. Why would I?

Post #9066378th Mar 2012 12:19 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
Yeah, it's got to be good news for Micheldever Tyre Services and it's trading division 4SITE 4X4 TYRE CENTRES http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/20/21767.html

LT, you are right Thumbs Up very good news for the wholesaler and great news for us as we have solid backing from Continental/General.

Please do not forget that we sell all leading makes of tyre and are very happy to do so, we make the same percentage from all brands, our sales are not just of 4x4/SUV tyres as we cater for all car and van so we see it from the broad perspective.

I have stated before that I have no problem with Pirelli and am very happy to buy/sell these tyres, pricing is a little strong at times when you compare it to other brands, you should also be aware that the 4x4 market is not as strong as passenger car and van in the UK.

Continental are now the leading manufacturer for tyres in Europe and the UK. They spotted what could be done with General many years ago and have moved it on to being a truly great brand.

Having visited many tyre manufacturing factories over the last few years I can say the quality control from Continental/General is second to none.

I have also stated that different tyres/brands suit different users, the choice is there for you all to choose. We are only too happy to help anyone with their choice as to the best tyre for their needs no matter what brand but will call it as I see it if I genuinely think the wrong decision is about to be made.

I earn my living from selling tyres and want my customers to come back year after year so do not want to steer them in the wrong direction. Bow down

Post #9066948th Mar 2012 8:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Blobby

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Just replaced my Pirelli ATRs today after 30k miles and still with 3-4mm on tread left. Never got more than 20k with Wrangler HPs on. So now have another set of 255/55/19's on for an eye watering £765 from T&H in Chelt (a Protyre branch) but the extra durability more than compensates for the price. Cracking tyres in my view.

Post #92567427th Apr 2012 5:12 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

bit of a thread from the dead!

GG AT's for the win! Thumbs Up

Post #9274432nd May 2012 4:16 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #9274762nd May 2012 6:19 pm
LT

Has the GG AT won any tyre tests? I must be slipping if it has and I haven't noticed Laughing

BTW, the new Cooper Discoverer A/T 3 has recently stolen the USA Consumersearch crown from the Pirelli ATR for the best light truck/SUV AT tyre. See the link below:
http://www.consumersearch.com/suv-tires

The ATR had been the winner for the last few years. I haven't looked yet to see if the Cooper is available in D3/4 sizes.

Back on topic: I reckon bar any issues with suspension or punctures etc. I'll easily get 50k miles from the 18" Pirelli ATR's I'm running, which is what they are warranted for in the US, but of course not in the UK Evil or Very Mad

Post #9274862nd May 2012 6:44 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

LT,

You just don't like the General AT do you, never mind lot's do. Thumbs Up

Post #9275892nd May 2012 10:21 pm
LT

I drive c.20k miles pa in my D3, most of which is clocked up on the motorway, but I also venture off-road at least once a week (sometimes only for extremely short distances). The Pirelli ATR is ideally suited for this use and as motorway driving is easy on tyres, I get a very good wear rate out of them. Plus the ATR is quieter than the AT, which is on the motorway is a plus point for me.

The GG AT costs less (usually), but from what I read here, the wear rate whilst very good, is inferior to the ATR. Thus the additional initial cost of the ATR is overcome by its longer life.

Off-road, I think it would be very hard to split the two, especially when fitted to a D3/4 which is hugely capable off-road on any tyre. However, I do think that some people assume that the relatively "tame" tread pattern on the ATR means that it's not a true all-terrain tyre. But the ATR has won many AT tyre tests and has more than proved itself off-road.

There's still a question mark hanging over the strength of the GG AT sidewalls, as there was the AT2. I personally know of two people on this forum who have such issues. But I also appreciate than many users will never or rarely use their D3/4 in an environment where sidewall strength is an issue.

The GG AT really scores visually, it's a much "harder" looking tyre than the Pirelli ATR and understandably that will appeal to many here. I still think my D3 looks stunning when it's shod with MTR's.

I actually think that both the GG AT & Pirelli ATR are excellent tyres and at the end of the day it's up to the buyer. We're fortunate that we now have a wide choice of tyres in all sizes for the D3/4

Andy, I'd say that it's you who doesn't like the ATR, rather than me not liking the AT. When I post about the Pirelli ATR winning a tyre test, or a getting positive write up in a magazine etc. almost without fail you'll reply plugging the AT and rubbishing the test. Here's what you wrote on your first post after your return from the GG AT launch in Germany "Only just returned from the launch in Germany, what a tyre they have produced, we tested them on D4, FFRR and 110 Defenders. I think this tyre will keep most of you very happy, better than ATR". I've never read why exactly you think the AT is better than the ATR though.

Post #9277123rd May 2012 2:15 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Off to see my special Doctor now. Rolling with laughter

I am sure he will listen. Thumbs Up

Post #9279604th May 2012 7:55 am
LT

It's a shame that we can't have a proper discussion about the different characteristics of these two popular All Terrain tyres. I'm sure that some D3/4 owners who are looking to replace their oe tyres would find it helpful.

Post #9281374th May 2012 2:13 pm
devonchilliman

England 

LT wrote:
I still think my D3 looks stunning when it's shod with MTRs

And my D4 Thumbs Up
Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #9281474th May 2012 2:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >