Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 34 of 36 <123 ... 33 343536>
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Valid point about the rust! I just follow the bible. Disc was good and clean and I took the chance while in there to go a bit mad with a wire brush and copper grease.

Might check the other side… I didn’t have the energy to drop it off the stands last night (working on gravel takes its toll) so it’s still sitting high. If I get the chance today, I’ll check it out Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #232803726th Feb 2023 11:37 am
steel_nick

Bulgaria 

So, I made somekind of a hook from the left of the steel release cable and used another piece of steel cable to connect and to ease my pull. I tried with a wrench and with a big woodclamp. No luck Big Cry
Now I have couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to brake the EPB box somehow while pulling really hard and to have to buy a new EPB module? I can try to pull it using my ATV winch Mr. Green
2. Is there any other way to release the EPB or to ease the releasing? To go in 1st or Reverse gear and just to try to shake the wheels or to play with the handbrake switch up and down while pulling the cable?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 If U are not on the edge, U are takin too much space.  
Post #23285331st Mar 2023 1:03 pm
BGlossop

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 5.0 V8 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

We’ll this has been an extremely useful and motivating thread that I decided to attempt it. I’ve gone past some big obstacles that aren’t mentioned too much… my car obviously has extras and possibly different manufacturing dates to most of the vehicles on here. I have a rear diff lock, I also have a Fuel Vapor charcoal filter on the other side of the EPB and I have a spare wheel bracket welded in place that prevents me from removing it, and it’s quite large… Bit I’ve tried anyway and I now see that I won’t be able to flip the module around to access the brass rod to injam it.
So my last thought and question of desperation is, Can I pull the latch attached to the brass rod to try to unjam it, or does it have to be turned to unjam it. I can see and have access to the left side of the EPB module but not the side where the brass rod is jammed so I’m hoping I can try pull it out somehow.
Would this be possible or advisable?
Otherwise I’m going to the Indy with hat in my hands and will be paying expensive school fees.

Post #23327728th Apr 2023 5:01 pm
Joshdisco3

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi guys this really is a long shot but I purchased a 05 disco 3 with the ebp failed so I set about replacing everything to get it back to life again cables shoes plastic cogs etc reassembled everything I didn't work ive had a good luck at it today and it seems when I relatch it either manually or by my icar soft tool as soon as a small amount of force is applied by the handbrake from inside the car it detaches its self from the clip on the ebp ive checked everything and I feal asif I have done everything correctly but I'm obviously missing something quite simple one thing I did notice is I pulled the emergency cable on the side of the ebp and it seemed a little stiff and didn't want to go back easy could this been nipped under the motor or someone how not installed in the channel properly
Cars a 2005 2.7 manual 115k on clock ive manged the egr block off low amd high pressure fuel pumps fine but am utterly defeated by this ebp problem

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the masses of info on the site it really helps
Cheers Josh

Post #23352912nd May 2023 7:12 pm
Rbillington

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I would guess that you've got 1 of 2 things, the latching mechanism is broken, or the emergency release cable is tight/not releasing.

If it's the cable, possibly you'd tell by pulling it in the car, see if there's resistance, or if it loop at the cabin end doesn't get pulled back down fully.

If it's the mechanism, not 100% sure how to tell, unless you can get someone to sit in the car, and watch/video the EPB working with the cover off, see if you can see it coming unlatched, and figure it out that way.
 Disco 4 2012 HSE, Nara Bronze

Gone but not forgotten
2007 FreeL2 XS, Stornoway Grey 

Post #23354384th May 2023 11:04 am
Rbillington

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Wanted to add my thoughts having just spent 2 days dismantling and fixing my own EPB after if locking on, believing now that I could fixed it in about an hour (TLDR: try adjusting EPB shoes and relatching first, it might work).

I don't know how normal this is, or if I was just lucky, but I think I didn't need to dismantle the EPB module or replace any brake parts. Hindsight is wonderful, and also having a bit more knowledge than myself at fixing cars (but owning a Disco is helping me out there Laughing )

I had the EPB jam on a couple of months ago, and once I'd eventually managed to pull the emergency release (this was way harder than I ever thought I needed to pull it), I made calls to dealers and indis who came back with £1000+ answers I'm sure lots of us get the moment EPB is mentioned.

I set out about my research, presuming it'd trashed the cogs in the motor, probably as a cause of the shoes being worn and needing replacing. , so I decided to buy the bits and tools needed, including ramps to be able to do this on the drive. How hard can it be.....

Having spent 1/2 a day getting in to the EPB module itself, imagine my surprise when the brass rod wasn't stuck now and the unit had already relatched itself (I think in the time it's been broken I have accidentally pushed the handbrake button a couple of times, regretting it instantly, waiting for the cog screech).

Still I soldiered on, spent a day striping the shoes, fitting new ones (I replaced brake shoes once in about 97, and swore I'd never do it again, I remember why now). Adjusted them, and got everything set.

However, looking at the old shoes, the brake pads and rear disks, these must've all been swapped just before I bought the car 18 months ago. All too clean and new looking. And in hindsight I seem to recall the knurled adjusters were fully wound in when removed, meaning they'd never been tensioned properly.

I'm not sure others would have had the same issues, but I believe I could saved a lot of time and effort by at least tying to simply adjust the ebb shoes and relatch it (push down on the hand brake button twice according to LR manual) after needing to pull the EPB emergency release. Maybe a bit of driving around and jogged the brass rod loose, maybe I was just lucky.
 Disco 4 2012 HSE, Nara Bronze

Gone but not forgotten
2007 FreeL2 XS, Stornoway Grey 

Post #23354404th May 2023 11:26 am
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The EPB is a dreadful contraption by any standards. And there are so many variants of what can go wrong. My EPB gave a squeal and locked up last summer. Had to pull the emergency release cable, surprisingly not such a struggle as some say. Then I bought new shoes, new drums, springs etc. Pulled the old stuff off, and discovered the reason my EPB had jammed. The stealers had replaced one of the brake shields, and also JUST THE SHOES ON THAT SIDE. Bravo. So the other side had disintegrated, brake bands were loose and shattered. New ones on, adjust per Bodsys Bible (I owe that man a beer or two). Still the same squeal, and no functional EPB. Banging Head
Had another go this weekend, opened up the module, again not as big of a pain as some say. Surely enough, the brass rod is jammed. Manage to free it using a crowbar and a 1,5 kg sledgehammer. Fuse in, yet another squeal, still no EPB. Decide to open it up, and eventually discover that the wire had jumped out of its latch on the one side, due to the spring being old and done. Fix it in place, and fasten it properly with lockwire. Being an aircraft mechanic finally paid off.

Then, of course, the module had jammed again, after my attempts to relatch it and get it to work. Another round with sledgehammer and crowbar, and FINALLY no more warning lights on the dash, operative EPB once again! Last piece of trouble, my freeing of the brass rod had broken the top mounts for the module. Two solid Jubilee clips sorted that out, and car is now good to go.
Long rant coming to an end with one last oddity; when the one cable was loose, I got no fault codes from my AP200. Nothing. But still a flashing red light on the dash. Had me baffled.
Best of luck to all you others out there struggling with the EPB. It is possible to fix most things, and Disco Mikeys guide (I owe him a few beers as well) is the best way to start out Thumbs Up

Post #23355024th May 2023 10:22 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Basic question, should parking brake shoes wear out?

It just strikes me that if as used to be the case you apply the parking brake after you have stopped and release it before moving off the shoes should never actually abrade and experience wear.

Having just stripped mine due to a scream at low speed I found quite a lot of dust in one drum but one of the shoes with no glazed finish over a section of the friction surface. The other drum had less dust but with an even polish over the shoes. This being desipte one of the spring clips that hold the shoe onto the back plate being stuck on the adjuster and the pin that it clips on to missing.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23355074th May 2023 11:53 pm
Satamax

France 

Well, just done it. Wasn't too too complicated.

Two tools which helped.

https://www.ubaldi.com/bricolage-jardin/br...670249.php

To unscrew the torx screws. It's so tiny, it really helps.

And this set of hooks

https://eshop.wurth.fr/Categories-produits...fr/FR/EUR/

Once rotated a quater turn, these helped greatly to turn the bronze screw.

The brakes and epb had been done in 2016 and again in 2019. So nothing was seized. Retensionned the brake shoes adjuster.

Took one hour and a half to unjam and unscrew. Two hours or three hours to take off the brakes and discs, check everything , reassemble, put the wheels back on, close the lid etc.

Thanks a lot to Disco Mikey, and all the others who have contributed with tips and tricks, videos on youtube etc.

Post #23359369th May 2023 11:05 am
Maarten1973

Norway 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Very useful, lots of info. But I guess discos try to find new ways to not work with does not fit with known solutions. My EPB gives a red triangle warning an blinking red warning sign all the time. On startup there's a message in the display that says: Handbrake not applied, pull switch up. If I do that it starts blinking on the yellow fault sign as well. No sound or movement from the module. Gap idd tool can't remove the red warnings, and latching/mounting does not give a reaction. This is after a brake disc and pads change at the rear and probably adjusted epb without putting it in service mode and without bedding. Any ideas? Broken wiring?
Come to think, I haven't checked the fuse, I'll do that first thing tomorrow. No second, coffee first.

Post #233632612th May 2023 9:37 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

HairyFool wrote:
Basic question, should parking brake shoes wear out?

It just strikes me that if as used to be the case you apply the parking brake after you have stopped and release it before moving off the shoes should never actually abrade and experience wear.

Having just stripped mine due to a scream at low speed I found quite a lot of dust in one drum but one of the shoes with no glazed finish over a section of the friction surface. The other drum had less dust but with an even polish over the shoes. This being desipte one of the spring clips that hold the shoe onto the back plate being stuck on the adjuster and the pin that it clips on to missing.

On other vehicles no, never had to replace them on any other LR product. But then the D3/4 uses the handbrake not just for stopping it from rolling down the hill but it can apply the brakes if it feels the need.

Post #233654515th May 2023 5:00 am
Maarten1973

So, after the most annoying removal operasjon, I opened the EPB module. Does not seems locked, moves freely. As before, when plugging it in the car it does not react to GAP id commands, neither on latching, mounting or unjam command. Car said; lost connection with epmodule. Is the bloody thing toast? Is there a way to just connect it to 12 v to see wether it works at all? Getting annoyed. At the same time the fuel tank sender is playing fool by warning for empty tank, putting the car in reduced performance. It jumps to full tank for a second when braking hard. Maybe damaged a wire when removing the bloody EPB? And suggestions?

Post #233754123rd May 2023 10:39 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'd say you have some wiring issues, i planned to open up the module and start the painful task of winding the rod back and re-latching but somehow it latched itself so just need to do the shoe adjustment now.

Post #233755023rd May 2023 11:57 pm
Maarten1973

Is there a way to test the module outside the car an if it is possible to test the switch? And for the fuel sensor error, I found this comment in a forum: is this possible?
https://mhhauto.com/Thread-land-rover-Disc...Fuel-gauge

Post #233755824th May 2023 7:28 am
dunkbt

Hi, hopefully you can see the video.

any thoughts on why it trys to apply handbrake and then gives up ?

[/url]

Post #234064128th Jun 2023 1:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 34 of 36 <123 ... 33 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >